Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Drain plug tools

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Drain plug tools Empty Drain plug tools 14th December 2014, 3:11 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Most people use 3/8" - 1/2" drive ratchets or extension bars for gearbox style drain & filler plugs.
The proper plug tools can be a better fit which can save you rounding the plug out & generally make job easier on tight plugs.
Cheap sets are less than £10 & better individual socket type sets less than £25, you can even buy just the one size you need or home make one from 10.9 grade bolt with diameter slightly bigger then ground down to match the plug nice & snug & bolt hex head can be used with socket or spanner.
Freeze spray or bit of heat can be useful on stubborn plugs & in serious stubborn cases welding the homemade bolt into the plug is a solution to removal.
I use about 3 winds of PTFE tape on fitting tapered thread plugs as seals 100% with no need of over tightening plus acts as barrier between threads reducing corrosion/seized plug issues in future.

Drain plug tools Drainplugset
Drain plug tools Doubleendeddrainplugtools

2Drain plug tools Empty Re: Drain plug tools 14th December 2014, 5:56 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

I have the set in the second picture ... had no issues with undoing any plug i got a little bar that goes through the middle but can use a 19mm socket over it for the more stubborn plugs ...

3Drain plug tools Empty Re: Drain plug tools 14th December 2014, 7:27 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Nice to know that set quite decent.
I've come across a few stubborn plugs over the years normally due to corrosion rather than over tightening but some people go silly on them & some garages probably using air wrench on them too.

4Drain plug tools Empty Re: Drain plug tools 14th December 2014, 7:43 pm

Bones

Bones
the two star club
the two star club

Can you elaborate on the freeze spray mate as I've never used that

5Drain plug tools Empty Re: Drain plug tools 14th December 2014, 9:08 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Aerosol releasing freezing agent & penetrating oil.
freezing action can cause cracks helping the penetrating oil get access.
Can work quite well on small/medium nuts.
Some brands rate temps as low as -40 but your fixings don't tend to get that cold, still useful to have a can of it on the shelf though for a tricky situation.
I've used crc freeze release a few times & certainly can work/help.

6Drain plug tools Empty Re: Drain plug tools 14th December 2014, 9:37 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

I found the plugs on the gearbox really difficult. Took alot of forcing and massive extension bar to get undone when I first brought my R.

7Drain plug tools Empty Re: Drain plug tools 14th December 2014, 9:48 pm

Bones

Bones
the two star club
the two star club

Yes I got heat on rear diff fill plug. Tip is always release the fill plug 1st as nothing worse than dropping oil only to find you can't put it back

8Drain plug tools Empty Re: Drain plug tools 17th December 2014, 3:14 am

splmum

splmum

I use these http://www.tengtools.com.au/product/6-pce-drain-plug-set-2/ Always found them to be good quality.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum