Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Stupid boost issue :@

+4
Gl3nnGTIR
mreguest
nomad
fudge
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Stupid boost issue :@  Empty Stupid boost issue :@ 16th June 2014, 8:49 pm

fudge

fudge

Finally got my new turbo fitted and it went pretty well apart from a leaky banjo on the block, got that sorted out and I've just drove to work and the car won't boost at all, and the turbo is making a height pitched noise :/ it did work earlier today, no smoke at all so the turbo appears to be intact as it was spot on when I installed it, anyone shed any light?

2Stupid boost issue :@  Empty Re: Stupid boost issue :@ 16th June 2014, 8:53 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

So does it feel like just a n/a car ie no boost at all or can you feel it trying ... i would take the intake off and check the wheel isnt scraping the the housing .... did you prime the turbo before initial start up ????

3Stupid boost issue :@  Empty Re: Stupid boost issue :@ 16th June 2014, 9:01 pm

fudge

fudge

Yeah I primed it up mate, as I said it ran fine earlier and it's just decided to do this, it feels like an na car yes, there's literally no boost, could be a pipe bust or something? Or maybe the afm not sure , it's like it begins to boost and then it just doesn't do anything and starts whining

4Stupid boost issue :@  Empty Re: Stupid boost issue :@ 16th June 2014, 9:17 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Could possibly be a boost leak or exhaust do you have a fmic ? ..... i think i would still visually check the tubby ..... then i guess ic pipes after that mate you should be able to rev it while your in the engine bay maybe able to locate the noise abit better ..... not unless its your dump valve ?

5Stupid boost issue :@  Empty Re: Stupid boost issue :@ 16th June 2014, 10:01 pm

fudge

fudge

Dump valve should be fine it's a new hks ssqv, I have two studs snapped on my downpipe to exhaust could it be that? I have a lad working on a downpipe for me it happened when I changed the turbo it was rusty as hell !! Maybe it's come apart? Wouldn't think that would cause an issue but maybe I'm wrong Sad

6Stupid boost issue :@  Empty Re: Stupid boost issue :@ 17th June 2014, 1:41 am

fudge

fudge

Just Checked the exhaust and it's all connected, can't think what it can be, the turbo had hardly any play when fitted and I've not drove if hard I'm only running 0.6 bar,

7Stupid boost issue :@  Empty Re: Stupid boost issue :@ 17th June 2014, 4:19 am

mreguest

mreguest

check all your Intercooler pipework is done up tight. I had a high pitched whistle/squeal once and low boost trouble. Turned out to be an Intercooler pipe clamp had stretched so far i could not get it any tighter so assumed it was fine. No... cheap clamps stretch and thus air leak over time. Could also be a hole in rubber pipe.

Well worth using genuine stainless steel Mikalor clamps. Quite pricey but don't stretch and they hold huge pressure on things like 2000bhp racing boats...

Hope this is your problem and not something serious.

Good luck
Adam

8Stupid boost issue :@  Empty Re: Stupid boost issue :@ 17th June 2014, 4:59 am

fudge

fudge

Thanks Adam Smile just finished work now, I don't get the noise on idle rev ups, so it can't be the turbo impeller touching the housing, think I might have an exhaust blowing noise, I'll try get a video up and maybe people could see from the noise? Hope it's not the turbo

9Stupid boost issue :@  Empty Re: Stupid boost issue :@ 17th June 2014, 6:56 am

Gl3nnGTIR

Gl3nnGTIR

Sounds like boost leak to me, an exhaust "blow" wouldn't cause the car to not boost at all i dont think mate

10Stupid boost issue :@  Empty Re: Stupid boost issue :@ 17th June 2014, 9:28 am

beau_1990

beau_1990

I had a punto with a bent shaft, idle sounded fine but whined when revved

11Stupid boost issue :@  Empty Re: Stupid boost issue :@ 17th June 2014, 10:53 am

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

You could have an exhaust leak before the turbo, that would obviously cause loss of boost

12Stupid boost issue :@  Empty Re: Stupid boost issue :@ 17th June 2014, 1:07 pm

fudge

fudge

Like a cracked manifold or something? I tried to put my foot down to test on my way Home and it struggled to 5k rpm and misfires as soon as it gets there, and it only hit 0.55 bar, I took a video but I don't know how to get it from my phone to here, unless anyone wants it on what's app?

13Stupid boost issue :@  Empty Re: Stupid boost issue :@ 17th June 2014, 2:10 pm

fudge

fudge

I've just had the inlet pipe off, and I have oil all around the impeller which wasn't there when I fitted it, I'm guessing it's the turbo, although there isn't much play in the unit and hardly any endfloat

14Stupid boost issue :@  Empty Re: Stupid boost issue :@ 17th June 2014, 2:29 pm

mreguest

mreguest

seriously tighten up all your Intercooler pipe work first and check for holes in big rubber pipes. Then check around the exhaust side of the turbo system, manifold etc. Look at all the gaskets etc. Does anything have tell tale signs of exhaust gas leak. I.e. Black soot in and around that area... My inlet always had oil in it ever since i bought a brand new turbo 40,000 miles ago. There is an oil breather pipe in the inlet side off the top of the engine. Do all the easy things first before you worry about bad stuff. Good luck!

15Stupid boost issue :@  Empty Re: Stupid boost issue :@ 17th June 2014, 2:44 pm

fudge

fudge

I'll check them all now, as I said it doesn't have play or smoke so I was reluctant to think it was the turbo, I'm leaning towards the manifold side of things I have one bolt missing because it snapped off, managed to get the stud out the block but I doubt that would make a big difference ?

16Stupid boost issue :@  Empty Re: Stupid boost issue :@ 17th June 2014, 2:58 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Upload the video to youtube bud .... or drop me your number later wont be able to do anything till about half 6 as be at work till then ....

17Stupid boost issue :@  Empty Re: Stupid boost issue :@ 17th June 2014, 4:10 pm

fudge

fudge

No leaks at all, no turbo smoke, car revs up fine at standstill but as soon as it's under load it struggles ... Sensor?

18Stupid boost issue :@  Empty Re: Stupid boost issue :@ 17th June 2014, 6:53 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

https://youtu.be/DVcNkPV_lp0 there you go click the link ... Wink 

19Stupid boost issue :@  Empty Re: Stupid boost issue :@ 17th June 2014, 7:27 pm

Gaz GTiR

Gaz GTiR

Have you checked your actuator rod has not come off the turbo?

20Stupid boost issue :@  Empty Re: Stupid boost issue :@ 17th June 2014, 7:43 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Strangely enough is exactly the route i was saying to elliot gaz .... could be actuator issue .... if all pipes are ok .... said about trying to run unlimited boost ...

21Stupid boost issue :@  Empty Re: Stupid boost issue :@ 17th June 2014, 8:32 pm

fudge

fudge

Ran unlimited boost guys and it just did the same thing, I've sent nomad some more higher quality vids and you can really hear the noise I'm talking about

22Stupid boost issue :@  Empty Re: Stupid boost issue :@ 17th June 2014, 9:20 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Il upload them for you mate and link them up .....

23Stupid boost issue :@  Empty Re: Stupid boost issue :@ 17th June 2014, 9:33 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

https://youtu.be/cV9STfLbW6Q

24Stupid boost issue :@  Empty Re: Stupid boost issue :@ 17th June 2014, 9:34 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

https://youtu.be/eJub5jMyFco

25Stupid boost issue :@  Empty Re: Stupid boost issue :@ 17th June 2014, 9:35 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

All uploaded .sorry for the delay i didnt realise you wanted them uploaded lol

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum