Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

how to change steering wheel

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1how to change steering wheel Empty how to change steering wheel 17th April 2014, 8:11 am

davegtirbeast

davegtirbeast

I have got the Nismo steering wheel and wanting to change it over. Any ideas of how to do it? do I need to make sure there is no charge in car before so the air bag doesn't detonate?

pic of wheel is here

https://s227.photobucket.com/user/davegtirbeast/media/IMG_1694_zps85de2def.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

2how to change steering wheel Empty Re: how to change steering wheel 17th April 2014, 8:34 am

YoungZilla

As far as i know GtiR never had steering wheel airbags :S
Just peel back the centre horn cover, should be a bolt under their 14-16mm i believe loosen it, but still leave some threads on the bolt (so it doesnt smash you in the face when you pull the steering wheel off)

Ive done this heaps of times comes off everytime on the FIRST go, you smack the steering wheel with your fist at 12 oclock, 3 oclock, 6 oclock and 9 oclock, give the steering wheel a good pull and it comes off.
The nut you left slightly threaded will catch it so you dont destroy your face lol

3how to change steering wheel Empty Re: how to change steering wheel 17th April 2014, 8:56 am

davegtirbeast

davegtirbeast

ah nice :-) simple enough for horn as well? might go and try....

4how to change steering wheel Empty Re: how to change steering wheel 17th April 2014, 9:11 am

YoungZilla

yeh horn is two connections, cant go wrong, its very easy. Goodluck!

5how to change steering wheel Empty Re: how to change steering wheel 17th April 2014, 10:22 am

davegtirbeast

davegtirbeast

Right, Wheel is off,

https://s227.photobucket.com/user/davegtirbeast/media/0_zps038497c7.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

but now puzzled with horn.
https://s227.photobucket.com/user/davegtirbeast/media/1_zpsac50a559.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

Where do I connect the wires up to on the car?!

6how to change steering wheel Empty Re: how to change steering wheel 17th April 2014, 12:29 pm

johnboy

johnboy

From memory.....
There is no 'wire' between the column and the wheel. There is a sprung pin that sticks up from the steering column that makes the contact to that copper slip ring on the steering wheel. I would expect the new wheel to have a similar ring. If not, then the ring has to be fitted to the new wheel. That ring also cancels the indicators.
If the pic is of the new wheel - then I've no idea what the wires do. There is normally only a short wire from that ring to the movable bit of the hooter.

YoungZilla - mine had an airbag fitted - but they are rare..  Smile 

7how to change steering wheel Empty Re: how to change steering wheel 17th April 2014, 3:13 pm

fred05

fred05
french connection
french connection

Just be careful with the horn wires...i already burn some on other cars.... Crying or Very sad 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum