Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Logging AFRs via a laptop

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Logging AFRs via a laptop Empty Logging AFRs via a laptop 9th December 2013, 8:48 pm

Spark plug spike

Spark plug spike

I've connected up a serial to USB adapter to my AEM UEGO wideband but can't get it to connect to the laptop, I've tried hyperterminal but having no joy, any ideas or different programs to try???

I'm trying to log the AFRs throughout the rev range to check if I'm running lean or rich at certain RPMs.

Cheers

Spike

2Logging AFRs via a laptop Empty Re: Logging AFRs via a laptop 9th December 2013, 9:07 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Has your laptop recognised that you have a device plugged into it ...and you have the correct driver ? .....here is a thread with various programs in it using the above wideband ....
http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21747

3Logging AFRs via a laptop Empty Re: Logging AFRs via a laptop 9th December 2013, 9:54 pm

watoga

watoga
ecu technician
ecu technician

Have you connected the correct wire to the serieal-to-USB adaptor? There is the 0-5V wire (white) in addition to a dedicated serial wire (which I think might be blue). Also, have you grounded the serial port? Have you also set your serial hyper terminal settings to:

Bits Per Second = 9600
Data Bits = 8
Parity = None
Stop Bits = 1
Flow Control = Hardware

??? Any issues I've had previously have always been either an incorrect driver (as mentioned above) or poor wiring connections. The hyperterminal will work as I've used that before. Failing that you could always use a simple 0-5V USB reader.

Cheers,
Dave

http://star.pst.qub.ac.uk/~dbj

4Logging AFRs via a laptop Empty Re: Logging AFRs via a laptop 16th December 2013, 9:07 pm

Spark plug spike

Spark plug spike

Finally got it sorted, I couldn't get it connected on my laptop running XP however I used the Windows 8 laptop and it updated the drivers and it worked straight away.

I used Putty instead of Hyperterminal to log the AFRs and used the Datascan software with Consult cable to run map trace, but then I find out that the AEM UEGO won't log with Datascan software Mad  

I have now downloaded Nistune software using the trial version, my question is can I run a realtime fuel and timing map trace via Nistune that will log my fuel, timing and AFRs together so I can check if all is ok?

Cheers

Spike

5Logging AFRs via a laptop Empty Re: Logging AFRs via a laptop 17th December 2013, 11:54 am

watoga

watoga
ecu technician
ecu technician

bfc10 wrote:I have now downloaded Nistune software using the trial version, my question is can I run a realtime fuel and timing map trace via Nistune that will log my fuel, timing and AFRs together so I can check if all is ok?

Glad you got it all up-and-working. Yes, you can record data with NIStune so that when you play it back it will show you which fuel/ignition cell your ECU is accessing, as well as what the simultaneous A/F ratio is at that point in time using the graph function.

Cheers,
Dave

6Logging AFRs via a laptop Empty Re: Logging AFRs via a laptop 22nd December 2013, 9:18 pm

Spark plug spike

Spark plug spike

watoga wrote:
bfc10 wrote:I have now downloaded Nistune software using the trial version, my question is can I run a realtime fuel and timing map trace via Nistune that will log my fuel, timing and AFRs together so I can check if all is ok?

Glad you got it all up-and-working. Yes, you can record data with NIStune so that when you play it back it will show you which fuel/ignition cell your ECU is accessing, as well as what the simultaneous A/F ratio is at that point in time using the graph function.

Cheers,
Dave
Dave, 

I have been doing some live logging for the last week and I have adjusted my fuelling down to 11.5 to 12.0 from 4000-7200 rpm

I am running a standard ECU, SAFC and SITC.

My timing seems to be within 1 of the scale on the standard ECU trace? Would that be ok or do I need to adjust the timing as well??

7Logging AFRs via a laptop Empty Re: Logging AFRs via a laptop 27th December 2013, 2:04 pm

Spark plug spike

Spark plug spike

These are my current readings at 1.1 bar boost:

3rd gear WOT fuelling.
Logging AFRs via a laptop <a href=Logging AFRs via a laptop Image-2" />

3rd gear WOT timing.
Logging AFRs via a laptop <a href=Logging AFRs via a laptop Image-3" />

4th gear WOT fuelling.
Logging AFRs via a laptop <a href=Logging AFRs via a laptop Image-4" />

4th gear WOT timing.
Logging AFRs via a laptop <a href=Logging AFRs via a laptop Image-5" />

Are these ok? Or do I need to adjust further?

Cheers

Spike

Last edited by bfc10 on 27th December 2013, 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added boost setting)

8Logging AFRs via a laptop Empty Re: Logging AFRs via a laptop 31st December 2013, 5:31 pm

watoga

watoga
ecu technician
ecu technician

Hi Spike,

Sorry for my delayed reply. My new son was born on 23rd December so have been mega busy helping my wife the last week  Shocked Any way, your new A/F traces look good, and a big improvement on the standard ECU readings of ~10 (although the increased boost will also be a helping factor). The timing is a little more of a subjective measurement since it will depend on the car, torque curves, compression, etc. So long as your car isn't detonating I wouldn't be too concerned about the timing for an initial tune.

The part I'm more obviously drawn to is the fact your load scale seems to saturate at around 3600 RPM. After this RPM your ECU can't access any higher load values, hence why the traces move vertically upwards (fuel and timing) beyond this engine speed. This is related to your car coming on boost and the torque levels rapidly rising. The fact you're running ~0.4 bar boost more than standard won't help at all. You are *probably* still ok so long as your A/F ratios stay good and your timing is retarded enough to prevent detonation. If you decide to upgrade to an aftermarket ECU (such as NIStune) then you'll be able to increase the load scales and make more specific changes to the fuel/timing at higher engine+load levels.

Hope this helps a little,
Dave

9Logging AFRs via a laptop Empty Re: Logging AFRs via a laptop 5th January 2014, 12:59 pm

Spark plug spike

Spark plug spike

Congratulations on the birth of your son, not too many sleepless nights i hope  Laughing 

I have checked both the AFRs and timing using the log function on NIStune and the load scales from 3600 upwards in 3rd, 4th and 5th gears the max TP is 96 and the readings for both AFR and timing are roughly the same as the 86 readings, the car is running fine so i think they should be ok???

I will be upgrading to NIStune later this year but this will do for now, thanks for all your help and advice mate greatly appreciated  cheers

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum