Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

lvlp guns

+2
johnny gtir
nomad
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1lvlp guns Empty lvlp guns 28th June 2013, 7:37 am

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Anbody used the lvlp guns i have some guns already not sure wether they are hvlp or lvlp as it come with my compressor ....im going to start respraying my car shortly i have a 2hp 50 litre compressor think its 8 or 9 cfm so thinking maybe a lvlp would suit better any thoughts ?

2lvlp guns Empty Re: lvlp guns 28th June 2013, 5:49 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

not the above mate but i have heard people say a filter to stop water droplets from the compressor saves a lot of work later and alot better finish to the spray job

3lvlp guns Empty Re: lvlp guns 28th June 2013, 7:05 pm

11Paul11

11Paul11

I've got lvlp gun but not used it yet but will be doing so tomorrow, I've also got the filter to stop water contamination, will post tomorrow how I get on with it

4lvlp guns Empty Re: lvlp guns 28th June 2013, 7:18 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Yeah a water filter is a must as i dont want bubbles to appear later in the paint ..... let me know how you get on with it paul ..... i see some of the guns run around 4 cfm wich is under half the hvlp guns run.

5lvlp guns Empty Re: lvlp guns 28th June 2013, 7:20 pm

11Paul11

11Paul11

Yep much better if running the smaller compressor can't remember what cfm my gun is will have a look

6lvlp guns Empty Re: lvlp guns 28th June 2013, 7:26 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

I was looking into getting a extra bigger tank an filling that before i started spraying but they are fooking expensive and might aswell buy a 100ltr compresser

7lvlp guns Empty Re: lvlp guns 28th June 2013, 7:27 pm

11Paul11

11Paul11

I've got a 200ltr compressor but its just packed up typical, so I've got to use my 50ltr one good job I'm only doing the bumper and grill

8lvlp guns Empty Re: lvlp guns 28th June 2013, 7:33 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

So if you have a 200litre compressor why have lvlp guns out of intrested .

9lvlp guns Empty Re: lvlp guns 28th June 2013, 8:08 pm

Concrete-GTIR

Concrete-GTIR

did you decide on a colour in the end pal Wink

10lvlp guns Empty Re: lvlp guns 28th June 2013, 8:13 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Yes mate i have a colour picked and me mind is set so just gotta get rid of my other shell and its all go .

11lvlp guns Empty Re: lvlp guns 28th June 2013, 8:15 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

What size compressor and gun did you use on yours jamie ?

12lvlp guns Empty Re: lvlp guns 28th June 2013, 8:22 pm

Concrete-GTIR

Concrete-GTIR

whats the colour send me a pm or is it a surprise, i used a 50 litre compressor and ill find the gun i used and send it to you or post it when i find it ill look back on my old photos;) cause i cant remember of hand what the gun is and its down at my garage lol

13lvlp guns Empty Re: lvlp guns 28th June 2013, 9:06 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

with a 50ltr compressor and 2hp motor that will run most hvlp guns no problem.
the only thing you would struggle on is a van if you was spraying the whole flank in one hit

ive got 2 compressors in the workshop, the big one I use for air tools but I always use the same size compressor you've got for painting and never had any troubles.
water filter is a must though as theres nothing more annoying than a small droplet of water when your spraying a flat panel like bonnet or roof especially

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

14lvlp guns Empty Re: lvlp guns 28th June 2013, 9:09 pm

11Paul11

11Paul11

I went for lvlp as I read it can help save wasted paint and over spray ect, I know you can set your gun up for fan width ect, but read the lvlp helps with this also

15lvlp guns Empty Re: lvlp guns 28th June 2013, 9:21 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

yes true but don't forget it all comes down to paint mix, ambient temperature and pressure your spraying at so its a lot more involved than just the gun your using

I generally set the pressure to no more than 40psi and that way you use less paint as your not blasting it on the panel and wasting paint, I find it easier to get a better finish by holding the gun slightly closer to the panel and using less psi...........warning though, if doing that keep your wrist moving and flash off the end of the panel or you can get runs

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

16lvlp guns Empty Re: lvlp guns 28th June 2013, 10:00 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

This is also what i read with the lvlp guns ..... i have a few hvlp guns already well i think thats what they are .... thanks for the info bob .... ive done panels before but only ever used tins and i can get a good finnish so pinkies crossed for the job lol

17lvlp guns Empty Re: lvlp guns 18th October 2013, 6:50 pm

kenny1pulsar

If you are using lacquer, then Mipa anti scratch lacquer is as good as any. Gives a fantastic finish and is quite forgiving if you put it on a bit to thick. Everyone does it different. I tend to do the roof first. Start at 1 side and go from the outside edge of the roof and work your way as far across the roof as you can reach and then a quick blast down the window pillars. Then round the other side and continue from the middle of the roof out to the edge and down the pillars. Doing it this way helps to reduce the chance of a dry line down the middle of the roof. Then start at a corner of the car and work round it till you get back to where you started. Remember to do in the arches and to leave a flash of (drying time) between coats (about 5 and 15 minutes depending on temperature ). If it feels like the Bahamas then it far to warm. Remember to build the coats up. Usually 3 coats. 1st coat should be quite light and not really look shinny. 2nd should be a bit heavier but still not looking to flat and shinny and 3rd coat should be quit a bit heavier and look quite flat and shinny. Best to have a practice on an old panel a few times. Not just a panel lying flat though. And if you get a run, you can try taking the worst of it off while it is still wet by using the sticky side of a bit of masking tape and a quick flick on and of the run. Not easy and can go wrong but can save a lot of hassle trying to sand a big fat run out.

18lvlp guns Empty Re: lvlp guns 18th October 2013, 7:55 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Thanks for the advice mate i havnt got round to it yet especially now the weather seems to have turned ....  in not having lacquer just primer then top coat ...

19lvlp guns Empty Re: lvlp guns 19th October 2013, 3:51 pm

kenny1pulsar

nomad wrote:Thanks for the advice mate i havnt got round to it yet especially now the weather seems to have turned ....  in not having lacquer just primer then top coat ...
Same technique applies to any 2k paint including primer. Use some rocket in the primer and paint if the weather is cold.

20lvlp guns Empty Re: lvlp guns 19th October 2013, 7:40 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Im going to be using cellulose mate ....not 2k ....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]