Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

my mystery problem solved

+3
Gaz GTiR
11Paul11
GTI-R US
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1my mystery problem solved Empty my mystery problem solved 26th June 2013, 5:26 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

as a few of you are aware I took my gtr on last trackday at brands due to my pulsar letting me down around 20 mins before I was due to leave.

it seemed fine on the sprintday but underpowered to what it should have been.

anyway today I had a look at the car after replacing the entire ignition system, fuel filter, fpr etc etc
but all to no avail as car was still misfiring on boost

so today I decided to bypass the attain swirlpot and run with the single walbro directly from the tank to see what happened, anyway car would start up and idle and be fine up until turbo kicked then mahoosive backfiring on boost so I took the pump out of the tank and fitted another we had.
connected up swirlpot and second pump again and whoosh no more problems

so it turned out that the in tank pump had partially failed and the secondary pump was pulling the fuel through the first pump as opposed to fuel being pushed to secondary pump which made the car gutless

different story now though she pulls like a fookin rocket right round to the redline, flames and all so im well chuffed as I was on the point of wielding my axe on her

thought I would post this just incase any of yous have a similar prob, the walbros don't seem to have that long a life span and you never know the one you purchase may well be a copy pump also.
in my case it was difficult to diagnose as had 2 pumps and neither had totally failed........so be warned guys!

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

2my mystery problem solved Empty Re: my mystery problem solved 26th June 2013, 6:01 pm

Quite a long time ago I built a car with a warlbro pump in it was actually pumping less fuel than the standard pump.and this was a long time before the copy's were around

3my mystery problem solved Empty Re: my mystery problem solved 26th June 2013, 6:22 pm

11Paul11

11Paul11

Nice one buddy at least it's sorted now, can be sooooo annoying tracking down problems,

Many times I feel like getting the sledge hammer out lol

4my mystery problem solved Empty Re: my mystery problem solved 26th June 2013, 8:35 pm

Gaz GTiR

Gaz GTiR

You didn't forget to tighten the battery terminal this time then? lol!

5my mystery problem solved Empty Re: my mystery problem solved 26th June 2013, 9:08 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

your never gonna let me forget that one are you gaz tongue

6my mystery problem solved Empty Re: my mystery problem solved 26th June 2013, 9:13 pm

Gaz GTiR

Gaz GTiR

It only makes me laugh mate because all day we had that misfire & it was only battery terminal Laughing

Its an easy mistake tho when you are preparing the car for a track day & little things like that slip your mind.

7my mystery problem solved Empty Re: my mystery problem solved 26th June 2013, 9:28 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

yeah I should have been wearing my big hat with a big D stamped on it that day
who would have thought a loose batt lead though especially as it was in a fibreglass box in the boot lol
just shows you though........never overlook the simple things

8my mystery problem solved Empty Re: my mystery problem solved 26th June 2013, 9:36 pm

Gaz GTiR

Gaz GTiR

Was a good job you found out what it was tho before you started scratching your head scratch replacing ignition parts etc

9my mystery problem solved Empty Re: my mystery problem solved 26th June 2013, 9:41 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

more luck than judgement tbh gaz
you can call me the master though due to my brilliantness and true modesty lol

10my mystery problem solved Empty Re: my mystery problem solved 26th June 2013, 9:47 pm

Gaz GTiR

Gaz GTiR

Yep ill give you that 1 mate Laughing

11my mystery problem solved Empty Re: my mystery problem solved 26th June 2013, 10:04 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Lol i always try the basic stuff first but sometimes its easy to overlook them especially if you been at it for hours a good cuppa tea and fag always helps get the brain ticking over drink

12my mystery problem solved Empty Re: my mystery problem solved 27th June 2013, 5:16 am

Concrete-GTIR

Concrete-GTIR

This sounds like what my is doing but I kept thinking it was the det sensor ill change both see what happens Smile

13my mystery problem solved Empty Re: my mystery problem solved 27th June 2013, 8:36 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Walbro pumps are far from top quality. Only use Bosch or Jap pumps as the build quality is top notch thus very very rare get issues. Seen too many Walbro's fail or have low output. Bosch maybe a little harder to fit in the GTiR but if done right it will be done once & never need looking at again.

14my mystery problem solved Empty Re: my mystery problem solved 27th June 2013, 9:06 pm

johnboy

johnboy

I'm just waiting on another pump from Bob as I'm having fuel problems and the only bit I haven't yet changed is the walbro pump.
Hope it fixes it.

15my mystery problem solved Empty Re: my mystery problem solved 27th June 2013, 10:23 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

So why are the bosh ones difficult to fit ?

16my mystery problem solved Empty Re: my mystery problem solved 28th June 2013, 9:01 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

nomad wrote:So why are the bosh ones difficult to fit ?
Not so much difficult more a case of a bit more effort needed in getting pickup right & pipe fitting compared to Walbro.
All depends on what bosch model pump you use too, I used a Bosch 984 which I had on the shelf salvaged from a Volvo turbo, probably good for 450hp & easier pickup mod than the 044 pumps plus it was free so not much debate was needed & in it went.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum