Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wheel alignment maybe solved but new problem :(

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Pulsar Paul

Pulsar Paul

right I'm a bit new to doin this my self but treated myself to a Dunlop mirror alignment jig and camber gauges too Smile

Iv had a go at doing it in the garage but guess with our cars it's alot easier on a ramp?
Iv tried doing the basic settings but it feels like I'm driving drunk down the road lol iv got the nac of the alignment I think but it's the camber I'm having probs with
does anyone else do there own wheel alignments?
As its going to be used on track I dnt want to take the car to the local garage every time iv took something off lol
Any help would be awesome Smile

Last edited by Pulsar Paul on 15th March 2013, 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Razz if you look in this section above in the top theres a sticky that says wheel alignment with all the settings ... im not sure if the camber should be a bit more for track though ...

johnboy

johnboy

Don't forget that the back wheels are adjustable and need to point the same direction as the front. Smile Doing 4 wheel alignment is a bit more difficult than just 2.... I use a long strip of ali angle and lay it along the wheels to get the back ones right.

Pulsar Paul

Pulsar Paul

it's the camber I struggle with as just working in my garage means I have to jack the car up to adjust it then drop it back down again bounce it roll it backwards n forwards n try again lol

Pulsar Paul

Pulsar Paul

Cheers for the Input on camber and tracking Smile got the car set up best I can. Now and will do a final check at my mates garage to see how it goes Smile
BUT and it's a big BUT something is badly wrong with the car?
Iv heard tracking can make a car feel like its on ice if its wrong but this is stupid! The car is undrive able? When you turn to the right it's so light and feels like the car has locked a wheel and under steering? sounds like when you've push a car to hard into a corner and you feel and hear that horrible rumble noise?
Iv not got the time to keep fart arsing around at the mo and just wondered if anyone has any ideas? wanted to come to the Essex meet in it but not looking good.
sounds silly but could a fucked shock cause the problem?

Cheers in advance paul

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Bottom balljoint on its way out ..... shock can cause it but if you hear a rumble maybe wheel bearing i know you have had the car up and down have you checked for any play in the wheel ?

Pulsar Paul

Pulsar Paul

Just eaten and come back out with a big hammer to sort it out like a man! Lol had a pry bar involved and can't feel any excess play anywhere and I think it's jut the rubber boot on the shock that's torn no mechanical damage!

next question when the front end is jacked up and car in neutral you should be able to turn a wheel and the opposite side turns the other way? now to test a diff do you put the car in gear then should not be able to turn a wheel? got a bit of basic knowledge but not enough at times. Sad
For the first time in ages iv lost all heart in the car and dnt get that stupid little smile when you start it up Sad

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Right on a normal car with all four wheels off the ground with it in neutral and no brakes on,Turn 1 rear wheel by hand will make the other rear will turn and one or both front in the same direction.Turn 1 front wheel will result in the other front turning the opposite way (non front LSD).Now with the handbrake on and the car in gear, get one person to hold one front wheel and try to turn the other....you should feel a lot of resistance.

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

In the words of dan not mine Wink

Pulsar Paul

Pulsar Paul

I thought that was a bit good for you Wink cheers dude but I'm Billy no mates tonight and I dnt think the newly ex girlfriend will come back round to hold a wheel for me Sad lol will be a job tomorrow after work I guess! time to go out and get wankered I think lol

Just tried taking wheels off to make sure both drive shafts had gone in ok and was a bit of movement on one but didn't seem enough to cause a problem! Will wait and see!

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

its more than likely the tracking is miles out paul

drive the car back and forth on the driveway with steering wheel straight then get out the car and look down line of car from rear to front and try line the wheels up by eye.....if one of the wheels is pointing in or out then track is out which will make car handle like its on ice.

easiest way to rectify that is with a lump of string tied from rear of car running through centre of wheels to front and tie off tight so string is tought.
then look at the wheel rim edge.....you will need to line the edges up so the rims (all sides) are just touching the string on both sides of car

dont forget you also have toe in and out adjustment on rear aswell
once all 4 wheel rim edges are just touching the string you wont be far out and it should all be parallel, then you should be able to drive the car safely to get her setup properly on 4 wheel laser alignment.

youll be amazed how accurate you can get it with a lump of string and your eyeballs.....i took a car down to get it checked after i had done this and was absolutely spot on dead parallel lol

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

Pulsar Paul

Pulsar Paul

Lol cheers bob iv never had a car feel like this before and it's a real worry lol

May have a go in a bit just finishing work and heading home to carry on stripping the bathroom out and maybe have a play with the car lol.

we've actualy got a Dunlop mirror alignment second hand Smile so can prob get my neighbour over to help with that too Smile

You going to pub tomorrow morning?

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

nah sorry paul im not gonna be able to make tomorrow as got shite loads to do after being in hospital last week Sad
first time ive had to cry off a meet so not too bad i guess
got the pm.....if you can wrap it back up and drop it in post il get the other sent out to you if you pm me your addy, need that one back first though as i need to sort out what lees wrapped in order to send the correct bits if you know what i mean

if mark (buckym) or better still (beau) turns up tomorrow ask him if he would mind dropping it in to us as hes only in hockley or beaus in southend
have a good brekkie anyway!

Pulsar Paul

Pulsar Paul

Ah cool il take it with me just incase then Smile
May be in the van tho Sad

If not il drop it round the parents n ask them to post if for me as il struggle to get to post office again Sad

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

ok paul
if you give it to either of above or post it just let me know

Pulsar Paul

Pulsar Paul

No probs will do mate Smile
Think iv sussed out how to do my alignment now Neutral lol
User error lol

Hope you get all jobs sorted tomorrow bud.

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

So does it feel better mate when your driving ...

Pulsar Paul

Pulsar Paul

Sure does lol even treated it to drive to the Essex meet Smile

I honestly didn't realise tracking Nd alignment could case such dramas! That's why I ended up looking to far into it thinking other probs! hopefully lazer alignment next weekends to check my guesses lol

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Well you learn something new every day Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum