Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

garage floor sealing

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1garage floor sealing Empty garage floor sealing 30th May 2021, 7:44 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

hi lads,

done some researching but thought I would ask here since you guys love the wet weather Laughing

I recently moved house and my garage gets oxidation spots, unfortunately my new house is on a significant slope, so alot of water comes down from the neighbour above.

In terms of the garage floor, any have recommendations to seal it and prevent this from happening?

garage floor sealing IMG-7120

2garage floor sealing Empty Re: garage floor sealing 30th May 2021, 10:24 pm

ADSgtir

https://www.costco.co.uk/Tyres-Automotive/Garage/Garage-Flooring/G-Floor-75-x-17ft-23-x-52M-Floor-Protector/p/112281

3garage floor sealing Empty Re: garage floor sealing 1st June 2021, 8:32 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

I have a few smaller pieces of that stuff but i was just wondering if there was something I can do to help prevent the underlying problem of it coming through the concrete or it doesnt really matter.

4garage floor sealing Empty Re: garage floor sealing 1st June 2021, 9:04 am

ADSgtir

Concrete is porous , water can either enter from the top or below , it will dry out depending on how much sun it gets , sealing the top layer will stop water passing but it’s expensive and if water is coming from below will stop drying out and can cause cracking if the water freezes in winter .
Some drain may be necessary to prevent water ingress in the first place , but this may or may not be practical depending on the location of the water and area size or length .
It is really a cosmetic thing as the salts rise through the concrete rather than a structural thing , using mats would be the cheapest option I think and much less effort than laying a damp course and maybe concrete tiles
Over the top .
The problem probably stems from the original floor instal , with not enough drainage or over clay type soil , unfortunately we lost the ability to build at high standards , that’s why 200 year old houses will be up in another 200 years and new build lucky to last 50 !!
Victorian builders paid thruppence a year , modern builders /developers drive Porsche’s
Go figure ..

5garage floor sealing Empty Re: garage floor sealing 1st June 2021, 9:51 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Thanks for the advice mate, I’ve actually brought enough of that flooring to cover 3/4’s of my garage. I’ll cover it up and forget about it, I’m sure it will be fine for the length of time I own the house. I was concerned it might do damage long term. Ideally I think there is some drainage issues that need to be addressed from the property above me but that’s a whole another issue I’ll need to deal with.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum