Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Compression test results

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Compression test results - Page 2 Empty Re: Compression test results 20th March 2019, 8:32 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

I Second the standard breather set up with minor tweaks. Intercooler is clear of oil ? As b says if you can leave it over night or the best part of weekend then check ports with manifold off might help show up or eliminate.

27Compression test results - Page 2 Empty Re: Compression test results 21st March 2019, 9:11 am

mike74

mike74

There's a 'film' of oil in there but I reckon it was from when the original turbo started getting tired.
I plan on having a poke around this weekend so it will have sat for at least 24 hours before I start...should see something then if theres any at all!

28Compression test results - Page 2 Empty Re: Compression test results 21st March 2019, 3:29 pm

DC313

DC313

mike74 wrote:It was only when I went round to the front of the car I realised I hadn't put the intercooler back on!! Twat!

Hahah that made me chuckle! Not like it's a small piece to miss either....

29Compression test results - Page 2 Empty Re: Compression test results 21st March 2019, 8:33 pm

mike74

mike74

Small enough apparently, lol!

30Compression test results - Page 2 Empty Re: Compression test results 22nd March 2019, 7:28 am

DC313

DC313

We've all been there, my fave is to not plug the maf back in and wondering why it runs like a bag of Sh*t Very Happy

31Compression test results - Page 2 Empty Re: Compression test results 3rd May 2019, 8:15 am

mike74

mike74

***update***

Well, I'm pretty sure I've finally sorted this issue now as I've been driving around, plume free for some time now.

A few weeks ago I decided to get my injectors cleaned as they'd never been done to my knowledge. I also pressurised the inlet manifold with a small compressor I 'liberated' from my work (was away to go into the skip!). Its only a very small one, about the size of an alternator so can't generate high volume. Even though its small, I could hear hissing coming from the back of the engine. I felt around the birds nest of boost pipes round the back of the inlet and couldn't feel anything but, I could feel a slight cold draught on my hand so I knew I was close. It turned out the metal gasket on the plenum was leaking!

I took off the plenum and attached piece of inlet manifold, leaving the throttle bodies on the head. It turned out that someone had the plenum off in the past, probably with the engine in-situ and therefore couldn't tighten up two of the cap screws, which were barely finger tight.

So I replaced the gasket and fitted a couple of jubilee clips to some of the boost pipes. Result...still smoking under boost?! WTF!!  Sad

That was the last straw. The only thing it could possibly be now is the fuelling. I took the decision to lower the fuel pressure by 1psi and see what happened...less smoke! So I've been incrementally playing with the fuel pressure since and have found 'the sweet spot' where it doesn't smoke on boost but if I turn up the pressure by 1psi it does smoke (although nowhere near as bad as before).

TBH I can't really understand it. I got the fuel pressure gauge checked at work and was told it was accurate at 3bar to within 1psi so, that's what I've been using to set the pressure all this time. The guy who checked the gauge checks calibration on most of our gauges in-house all the time and has the proper equipment.

So the outcome is that I've now got my fuel pressure set at 40psi (according to the gauge) instead of the 'normal' 43/44psi I used to run it at.

One other thing I did while the injectors were away being cleaned was to soak the tops of the pistons in "marvel mystery oil" for four days. The thinking behind this was it might help clean some of the crap off the pistons and rings. Various videos I've watched certainly indicated it was good at this.

Well, it worked a treat! it didn't do much to the piston crowns but, more importantly it seems to have cleaned/unstuck the rings. It wasn't using that much oil before but its barely used 1/4 of a liter in the past month since using it. I've also poured some into the oil to gently clean the internals before its next oil change. I'm actually pretty impressed by it!

The car now feels quicker than before, especially at 3.5/4k rpm on the dual carriageway in top gear but more importantly, no more smoking!

Its been a long and f'king frustrating journey but I finally got there...just!

Cheers for all the help and assurances guys, it would've been a smoking shell if it wasn't for you lot!  Smile

mike

32Compression test results - Page 2 Empty Re: Compression test results 3rd May 2019, 4:25 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

I would get your fuelling checked/setup on a rolling road or at very least wideband logging it .
One of best things you can do is setup fuel and timing well and root out iffy parts and sneaky leaks .
Just about every turbo motor I smoke test will have at least 1 leak including mine :-)

Issue with dirt build up in oil rings can indeed cause smoke issues.
Seen a lot of people over the years use atf soak and also add atf to engine oil as a cleaning/flush solution, can be cheap and dirty quick fix (works well on hydraulic lifters)

Thank Buddha you didn't sell up ...

33Compression test results - Page 2 Empty Re: Compression test results 3rd May 2019, 7:16 pm

mike74

mike74

...or burn it, lol!

34Compression test results - Page 2 Empty Re: Compression test results 3rd May 2019, 8:30 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Or scrap it lol. Glad your sorted

35Compression test results - Page 2 Empty Re: Compression test results 4th May 2019, 4:34 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Awesome news mate

36Compression test results - Page 2 Empty Re: Compression test results 17th May 2019, 7:16 am

DC313

DC313

Great news! glad you're all sorted and working again better than ever!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum