Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

CHASSIS RAILS

+2
FPSChris
mightydquinn
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1CHASSIS RAILS Empty CHASSIS RAILS 2nd October 2018, 9:57 am

mightydquinn

mightydquinn

Hello, my chassis rails are looking a little bit rusty so I'm wondering if anyone knows the best place to get some replacement rails from so I can get them welded on?

Thanks Chris.

2CHASSIS RAILS Empty Re: CHASSIS RAILS 10th October 2018, 4:33 am

FPSChris

FPSChris

As far as I know you can't anymore.
I managed to get a rear pair from nissan, wasn't expensive.
Fronts, you'll need to repair your own

https://soundcloud.com/fpschris

3CHASSIS RAILS Empty Re: CHASSIS RAILS 10th October 2018, 5:10 am

ducie54

ducie54

There not chassis rails. There not connected to the chassis in anyway.

4CHASSIS RAILS Empty Re: CHASSIS RAILS 10th October 2018, 7:27 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

They must have been discontinued in the last few years then?

5CHASSIS RAILS Empty Re: CHASSIS RAILS 10th October 2018, 10:37 am

mightydquinn

mightydquinn

Cheers fellas, they’re not really bad but just thought I’d replace them if I could before they become really rusty! Other than front chassis rails I wouldn’t know what to call them, it’s the extra bit underneath the car anyway that they front anti roll bar d bush mounts bolt onto!

6CHASSIS RAILS Empty Re: CHASSIS RAILS 12th October 2018, 11:39 am

FPSChris

FPSChris

Nissan called them chassis rails so I went with it

7CHASSIS RAILS Empty Re: CHASSIS RAILS 29th October 2018, 12:58 pm

Ryaneg6freak

Ryaneg6freak

They're floor supports, and the reason they always get damaged is because people think they're chassis rails and lift the car by them.

8CHASSIS RAILS Empty Re: CHASSIS RAILS 2nd November 2018, 6:59 am

FPSChris

FPSChris

Ryaneg6freak wrote:They're floor supports, and the reason they always get damaged is because people think they're chassis rails and lift the car by them.
Or they lower the car too much and smash over curbs on track Twisted Evil
Went back to a higher ride height and stopped getting my wheel the wrong side of curbs.

9CHASSIS RAILS Empty Re: CHASSIS RAILS 4th November 2018, 6:53 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

I wonder if replacing with some steel box tube might be another option, i wonder how hard it would be compared to replacing with the OEM floor supports?

10CHASSIS RAILS Empty Re: CHASSIS RAILS 5th November 2018, 4:07 pm

FPSChris

FPSChris

I see no problem with that at all. It's what they'd do at a body shop.
I recall (havn't been under in a while) the fronts have a mounting point for something on the front hubs but I may be imagining it.

11CHASSIS RAILS Empty Re: CHASSIS RAILS 2nd December 2018, 5:52 pm

Ryaneg6freak

Ryaneg6freak

gtir_woody wrote:I wonder if replacing with some steel box tube might be another option, i wonder how hard it would be compared to replacing with the OEM floor supports?

I did just that, I boxed them in with 1/8" steel plate. Now I CAN lift the car by them.

12CHASSIS RAILS Empty Re: CHASSIS RAILS 2nd December 2018, 8:06 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Did you cut the originals out before boxing in?

13CHASSIS RAILS Empty Re: CHASSIS RAILS 3rd December 2018, 7:48 am

Ryaneg6freak

Ryaneg6freak

No, I just made some overlap sections and made them with a flange that sits flat with the floor, I then drilled holes though the floor and ran nuts and bolts with big washers on both sides. It's hidden under the carpet and you'd never know it's there. Way stronger now.

14CHASSIS RAILS Empty Re: CHASSIS RAILS 3rd December 2018, 7:53 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

I’m really digging that idea.

15CHASSIS RAILS Empty Re: CHASSIS RAILS 3rd December 2018, 8:06 am

DC313

DC313

Ryaneg6freak wrote:No, I just made some overlap sections and made them with a flange that sits flat with the floor, I then drilled holes though the floor and ran nuts and bolts with big washers on both sides. It's hidden under the carpet and you'd never know it's there. Way stronger now.

Do you have any pics of your work? Sounds like a nice mod!

16CHASSIS RAILS Empty Re: CHASSIS RAILS 4th December 2018, 9:45 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Id be keen to see some pics. Im thinking doing this might even help to even out my floor from where dckheads have used a jack on it lol.

17CHASSIS RAILS Empty Re: CHASSIS RAILS 21st January 2019, 3:29 pm

Ryaneg6freak

Ryaneg6freak

DC313 wrote:
Ryaneg6freak wrote:No, I just made some overlap sections and made them with a flange that sits flat with the floor, I then drilled holes though the floor and ran nuts and bolts with big washers on both sides. It's hidden under the carpet and you'd never know it's there. Way stronger now.

Do you have any pics of your work? Sounds like a nice mod!

I'll get you some next time I'm back in the states

18CHASSIS RAILS Empty Re: CHASSIS RAILS 21st January 2019, 3:34 pm

Ryaneg6freak

Ryaneg6freak

I did something like this, without all the fancy triangle shaped holes lol. It's where I got the idea from.

https://www.flyinmiata.com/fm-frame-rail-reinforcement-kit.html

19CHASSIS RAILS Empty Re: CHASSIS RAILS 21st January 2019, 3:42 pm

DC313

DC313

Very cool! I could look into getting some laser cut and folded up if enough people were interested? Maybe Powder coated to for a nice bolt on upgrade with some 'motorsport' holes lol.

20CHASSIS RAILS Empty Re: CHASSIS RAILS 21st January 2019, 5:13 pm

Ryaneg6freak

Ryaneg6freak

Hell, you could probably just BUY these and cut them to fit. I should have.

https://v8roadsters.com/product/frame-rails/

21CHASSIS RAILS Empty Re: CHASSIS RAILS 21st January 2019, 10:35 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

I started making some, I’m not intending to jack on them though, so they’ll be more protectors you could say. Hardest part is making them fit the shape of floor. I’m going to dimple die them I think.

22CHASSIS RAILS Empty Re: CHASSIS RAILS 21st February 2019, 6:25 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

The photos don't do justice the amount of time these took to make. I used 75x75 SHS steel and cut them out. These are the second set I made because I wasn't happy with the first.

Originally I planned to dimple die them but in the end couldn't be arsed and figured excess dirt and crap would just get stuck in them anyway. The hardest part I found was getting these to match the profile of the floor, they aren't perfect but good enough. My floor supports weren't rusted but had certainly copped abuse from a jack which in turn had pushed the floor up. I did my best to straighten them out and made sure to use some underbody paint before fittings these floor support protectors? (or what ever you want to call them Laughing )

I just used allen bolts, lock nuts and sleeves through the middle of them. The factory floor supports already have holes in most places so I just used them and drilled in to the floor.

The way I look at it, my floor supports looked like crap, the only modification was drilling 4 holes in each side, if I ever get the floor supports fixed its no worries to weld those holes up. These aren't for everyone but serves my purpose and look really good once powder coated.

CHASSIS RAILS IMG-5115

CHASSIS RAILS IMG-5116

23CHASSIS RAILS Empty Re: CHASSIS RAILS 21st February 2019, 8:45 am

DC313

DC313

Looks very smart! Good effort!

24CHASSIS RAILS Empty Re: CHASSIS RAILS 21st February 2019, 7:57 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

DC313 wrote:Looks very smart! Good effort!

Thanks mate Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum