Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Noise from release bearing

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Noise from release bearing Empty Noise from release bearing 29th July 2018, 11:31 pm

NebTrebmal

Hi all
So I've just installed a competition clutch stage 4, 6 paddle and flywheel (they sent me the s14 kit so has to drill the flywheel (( done by DY Engines )) and I've had to use a non CC release bearing because they sent me the one for an s14 without the tabs TWICE suicide lol ). So I used one from Conceptua Performance Tuning and installed everything as it should be ( or not as the case may be! ), put everything back together and started turning the engine over with no spark to run oil through turbo etc. I could hear a rotational noise coming from the bell housing (guessing release bearing) and could feel it through the clutch fork. It caused the fork to wobble slightly. I decided to start the car and see if anything changed and see if I might be able to move her. The engine started after some starter motor f**kery. Nothing exploded. Nothing came flying out at a million mph. Nice. BUT I could still hear and feel the bearing/fork. I gave the fork a wiggle and when further disengaging the bearing the noise stopped, I let go and the noise started again. I felt confident that nothing major would happen if I tried to move her and although I've only moved her back and forth a few car lengths and only a few times, everything felt normal and worked just fine. Which leads me to think that it's just a case of adjusting the clutch or bleeding it. Anyway, I thought I'd post it here in case anyone knows what I need to do. Does what I've described sound to anyone like I need to split the engine and gearbox again or could it be as simple as adjusting the pedal or a doing a bleed?
Hope I've provided enough information. Cheers

2Noise from release bearing Empty Re: Noise from release bearing 30th July 2018, 12:30 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Only bearings I use are ADN13313 or NTN-FCR62-32-14/2E which same as nissan use .
Some of the cheaper brand bearings are junk out the box
Does noise go away as soon as put little pressure on clutch pedal ?
Does it also go away when if manually pull clutch fork back so release bearing totally clear of clutch fingers ?
If still does it when depressed does it get worse or better in terms of noise and wobble and do you feel and pulsing fed back to the clutch pedal ?
seems fork wobbling I would guess either bearing run out issue or clutch run out issue .
Might also settle in with bit of use but if you think you may of done anything wrong revisit it .
What lot of people do on the R is struggle getting box on and leave it hanging with input shaft in drive plate damaging plate centre or catching cover fingers and causing damage .

3Noise from release bearing Empty Re: Noise from release bearing 31st July 2018, 10:46 pm

NebTrebmal

Hi Mr B thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, I used the bearing that came with the CC kit but I have no idea what it actually is.
But could try and find out if it's helpful.

Does noise go away as soon as put little pressure on clutch pedal ?
Yes, even a tiny amount is enough to stop the noise.

Does it also go away when if manually pull clutch fork back so release bearing totally clear of clutch fingers ?
I'll have to double check this and get back to you but what would you say if I came back with either a yes or no?

If still does it when depressed does it get worse or better in terms of noise and wobble and do you feel and pulsing fed back to the clutch pedal ?

Definitely gets better, can't hear it and can't feel any feedback through the pedal.

seems fork wobbling I would guess either bearing runout issue or clutch run out issue .
Might also settle in with bit of use but if you think you may of done anything wrong revisit it .
What lot of people do on the R is struggle getting box on and leave it hanging with input shaft in drive plate damaging plate centre or catching cover fingers and causing damage .

I hope it isn't run out as it's brand new flywheel, clutch plate and pressure plate! But what could cause this to happen from a clutch change?
I'm pretty confident I did everything correctly, the only thing that might have happened is prodding a clutch fork with the GB input shaft while realigning the engine and GB.

4Noise from release bearing Empty Re: Noise from release bearing 2nd August 2018, 11:35 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

From your remarks it likely release bearing noisy when no load on it.
By manually pulling fork back so bearing not touching the cover fingers would be interesting if noise still present as then not the bearing .

Is the fork modded/strengthened ?
Think you need feel the release fork while someone lightly presses pedal as if any alignment issue fork movement and vibration would be notable (any of the parts you fitted could be machined off centre or not flat giving the release bearing a hard time if it not actually the part at fault .
You could of also bent clutch cover finger but that quite hard do .
You either adjust clutch try stop noise/run it for few miles or pull box again and investigate it in depth .
No easy answer really unfortunately but perhaps do few miles test drive as some usage marks may help verify fault if persists and do need pull box to have a look .
Would recommend the NTN bearing as had noise/durability issues with others over the years, strengthened fork is a must too really .
If you got unmodded release fork you may want think about upgrade before it fails as those CC stage 4 covers are pretty heavy, some people mix the puk plates with lighter stage1 covers for more daily drive type use .

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum