Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cleaning Intercooler

+3
nomad
toaster55
shroom
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Cleaning Intercooler Empty Cleaning Intercooler 8th October 2017, 10:52 am

shroom

shroom

Soo,

Whats the best way to clean an old top mount, I have used carb cleaner in the past and tried to use something that would evaporate,

I have an old one which has been lurking in the garage for years and wanted to clean it up.

Any ideas?

'Shit' think I need to sell my Sunny!

But woman cant replace a sheep
Oh I wish that for the peace!
But I really cant find my honey
The only one I would give my money
Is one with a great big fleece
And then I would be at peace...

2Cleaning Intercooler Empty Re: Cleaning Intercooler 9th October 2017, 8:59 am

toaster55

toaster55

When I bought my Radtec intercooler from one of the lads on here, I filled it up with white spirit sloshed it about for a few minutes then poured it out. Loads of shite came out! Kitchen roll, old oil and a tywrap from what I remember. Only did it as looked like it had blown turbo so was full of oil, but I bet the kitchen roll must have affected it's performance. Left it too vent of for a day then chucked a bit of petrol in and did the same. That came out clean so reckon it did a good job. Hope this help seemed a good idea to me at the time.

Plus white spirit is cheap!

3Cleaning Intercooler Empty Re: Cleaning Intercooler 9th October 2017, 11:33 am

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Best thing I've used is petrol as it breaks down oil .... I've used it for intercoolers and old mucky water reservoirs when head gaskets had gone came up a treat .....

4Cleaning Intercooler Empty Re: Cleaning Intercooler 9th October 2017, 3:00 pm

mike74

mike74

So what would folk use to clean the outside then? Or easier just to spray it?

5Cleaning Intercooler Empty Re: Cleaning Intercooler 9th October 2017, 4:50 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

That's a tricky one as you can only clean the end tanks or use a pressure washer to clean the fin section just dont go to close with it and make sure to tape up the holes on the end tanks Laughing

6Cleaning Intercooler Empty Re: Cleaning Intercooler 9th October 2017, 9:24 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Could you use a liquid aluminium cleaner on the outside? Never tried it.

7Cleaning Intercooler Empty Re: Cleaning Intercooler 9th October 2017, 9:28 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

To clean it up except the fins obviously, use a wire wheel in a cordless drill Wink

Everybody needs a bosom for a pillow...

8Cleaning Intercooler Empty Re: Cleaning Intercooler 10th October 2017, 8:09 am

mike74

mike74

I bought some aluminium trailer chassis cleaner so will give that a try this weekend. It claims to be an acid based cleaner which you can use on bare aluminium, alloy and steel wheels...and that you can dilute it up to 10:1 ratio!

I'll try the underside first so if it discolours it I won't notice Smile

9Cleaning Intercooler Empty Re: Cleaning Intercooler 10th October 2017, 7:03 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

If it's tfr or similar as it will look ok but after a while will turn your fins to dust

10Cleaning Intercooler Empty Re: Cleaning Intercooler 10th October 2017, 9:24 pm

toaster55

toaster55

Tfr?

11Cleaning Intercooler Empty Re: Cleaning Intercooler 10th October 2017, 9:33 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Traffic film remover ....

12Cleaning Intercooler Empty Re: Cleaning Intercooler 11th October 2017, 4:52 am

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Yes as Leighton says traffic film remover . Like most products some versions of tfr or similar products are not as strong as they used to be or if u buy the cheap stuff it's not the same but the decent stuff you do need to watch how long it's left on if used neat or the dilution you use as it cleans very well but if not rinsed totally ( even if you do sometimes) it's a acid so fins on the intercooler would after washing look super clean but soon start corroding and go like for example a car alloy dose when salt off the roads gets in turn white ish and been so thin the fins will just go like dust and that's it trashed

13Cleaning Intercooler Empty Re: Cleaning Intercooler 11th October 2017, 8:04 am

mike74

mike74

this is the stuff I've bought:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminium-cleaner-ally-bright-aluminium-trailer-chassis-body-cleaning-solution/122460445338?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I reckon i'll try it diluted to heck first on an end tank or the very back edge of the cooler. If that doesn't work increase ratio until it either cleans or dissolves it Very Happy

It also mentions it can dissolve rust too, might try that out as I've got LOTS of rusty (ex-mini) nuts n bolts

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum