Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Help with sr20det or sr20de

+2
johnny gtir
shroom
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Help with sr20det or sr20de Empty Help with sr20det or sr20de 25th July 2017, 3:36 pm

Telly

Hi guys sorry to be a pain.

So my engine is completely gone and i need a new engine. I have found one on the internet but the person selling doesnt know if its a det or de. All he said is it has come out of a pulsar a few years ago. Could some one please help and adv if this is the engine i need as i know there are many different sr20 out there.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MEBnhISEem2k6eIl1

Thank you guys

2Help with sr20det or sr20de Empty Re: Help with sr20det or sr20de 25th July 2017, 5:13 pm

shroom

shroom

Yep thats a Pulsar engine. Will it be any good though is another question

'Shit' think I need to sell my Sunny!

But woman cant replace a sheep
Oh I wish that for the peace!
But I really cant find my honey
The only one I would give my money
Is one with a great big fleece
And then I would be at peace...

3Help with sr20det or sr20de Empty Re: Help with sr20det or sr20de 25th July 2017, 5:19 pm

Telly

Ahh just to check is it turbo or non?? Also how do i check or what checks do i do to confirm if engine is ok?

4Help with sr20det or sr20de Empty Re: Help with sr20det or sr20de 25th July 2017, 7:47 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Check the bores and crank. How long has it sat ? What you doing rebuilding it or ?

5Help with sr20det or sr20de Empty Re: Help with sr20det or sr20de 25th July 2017, 8:38 pm

Telly

Well inwamted to rebuild my engine as i have stripped most of it but found this engine it has been sat i believe 6 years? The barcode is sr20 54c it also has a code of sr20 SR20 186892A. He doesnt know much about engines at all and tbh i dont either i was hoping it was just and straight swap

6Help with sr20det or sr20de Empty Re: Help with sr20det or sr20de 25th July 2017, 9:55 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

What price is he asking ? Just be careful 6 year is a long time and is he saying he dose not know as a excuse why did it get removed etc is it forged or standard lots to think about sitting six years seals etc need to be considered

7Help with sr20det or sr20de Empty Re: Help with sr20det or sr20de 25th July 2017, 10:39 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

No way that engine be straight swap, it no virgin looking at amount bolts thrown about and red sealant. always best working with what you already got unless conrod sticking out the block ....
it hasn't been sat for 6yrs in less than ideal conditions by looks of it because it a sweet runner.
be careful ...

8Help with sr20det or sr20de Empty Re: Help with sr20det or sr20de 26th July 2017, 9:46 am

Telly

Whats the best way to check if it is all ok? I mean lets say i buy it then what am i looking at to get it to run?

What is best checks for me to do as im thinking to go view it this weekend

9Help with sr20det or sr20de Empty Re: Help with sr20det or sr20de 26th July 2017, 10:03 am

mike74

mike74

See if you can turn it over by hand (with a spanner) first I would say. While turning it over listen for any grinding noises inside (rust or damage) and also listen for each cylinder compressing; you should also feel this. IF it turns over without any nasty noises maybe take the cam cover off for a look underneath. Check to see if there's oil in the sump and if there is, does it look and smell ok?
If you've got access to a borescope then I would definitely take that with you. Failing that (and assuming it turns over by hand ok) take a plug(s) out and have a look inside to see if there's any damage or rust etc.
The engine may very well be worth a punt at the right price and may be very solid but, it could also be a rusty piece of cr@p that's only use is as an anchor.
At the very least you're going to have to replace the hoses at the back of the engine as they look past it. While you're there replace the knock sensor & engine temperature sensor too as they're a bitch to do once engine's in.
That flywheel could definitely do with being replaced or a good clean and a skim too...

Doesn't Bob have any decent standard engines kicking about? He might be more expensive but at least you'd know you're getting something that works properly...

10Help with sr20det or sr20de Empty Re: Help with sr20det or sr20de 26th July 2017, 10:42 am

Telly

Thank you guys, tbh im sure i can get it cheap of him im hoping so anyway. Id rather keep mine to work on it myself at a later stage as i dont have much time to do it.

11Help with sr20det or sr20de Empty Re: Help with sr20det or sr20de 26th July 2017, 10:45 am

Telly

Ohh also is it safe to turn the engine if there is no oil ??

12Help with sr20det or sr20de Empty Re: Help with sr20det or sr20de 26th July 2017, 11:02 am

mike74

mike74

there will still be some oil inside the bearings etc inside the engine so turning it over by hand would be ok AFAIK. I wouldn't spin it on the starter with no oil in it though. You could always take a 1L bottle of cheap stuff to throw in before testing it?

13Help with sr20det or sr20de Empty Re: Help with sr20det or sr20de 26th July 2017, 6:41 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

What's he told you about the engine ? Is it a member former member? All things like this can help

14Help with sr20det or sr20de Empty Re: Help with sr20det or sr20de 28th July 2017, 10:37 am

Telly

No and thats what is worrying is that he doesnt know much about engines and nor do i. He said he bought it years ago with his friend but his friend sold the car and its been sitting there. Now he just wants to get rid of the engine. He has done all the checks i have asked him and tbh when speaking to him on the phone he does seem genuine but they all do

15Help with sr20det or sr20de Empty Re: Help with sr20det or sr20de 28th July 2017, 10:53 am

mike74

mike74

Where about is the engine located? You might be lucky and get someone from here to go have a look with you?

16Help with sr20det or sr20de Empty Re: Help with sr20det or sr20de 29th July 2017, 6:58 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

Remove the exhaust manifold and check in the exhaust ports on the head
If you see any which are wet looking (oily) then you can bet that its seen better days and is burning oil.
If its been sitting for 6 years youll need to pull it apart anyway as the compression rings will be stuck and unlikely they will free off so it will smoke like a chimney.

I would also completely remove the sump to check bearings and obvious marks on the crank.

But if its cheap say around £250-300 then would just buy it anyway (you cant lose) as its unlikely that every bit of it is fooked

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

17Help with sr20det or sr20de Empty Re: Help with sr20det or sr20de 31st July 2017, 9:41 am

Telly

Hi guys thnx for the help.

I did buy the engine in the end. There was no funny noises or any rust just some dirt inside so i thought wht the hell might aswell just give it a go. Even if it doesnt work im sure i can use something off it. Does any 1 know a decent pulsar mechanic i can take it too in the west midlands area.

18Help with sr20det or sr20de Empty Re: Help with sr20det or sr20de 31st July 2017, 9:44 am

Telly

Thanx bob i got it for 200 in the end. So thought why not. Sorry mike i saw the message too late it was in chester. Bought it last night.

19Help with sr20det or sr20de Empty Re: Help with sr20det or sr20de 31st July 2017, 2:42 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

Telly wrote:Thanx bob i got it for 200 in the end. So thought why not. Sorry mike i saw the message too late it was in chester. Bought it last night.

Bargain its worth that just for the head and associated parts thumbsup

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

20Help with sr20det or sr20de Empty Re: Help with sr20det or sr20de 31st July 2017, 10:46 pm

Telly

Any recommendations on who to take the engine to in west midlands bob?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum