Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Polishing

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Polishing Empty Polishing 6th May 2017, 6:58 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

This might have been covered before?

I want to polish my whole car, the paint is really looking bad.

There is so much stuff online, but I'm looking for the most straight up approach for a beginner.

Easiest type of polisher to use and process?

I really need to cut the paint and get some scratches out. I don't care if its not perfect, but I noticed the polisher I used previously on my quarter left a lot of swirl marks and I didn't feel confident using it, I'm sure this comes down to technique though. This is what I used last time.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Rockwell-ShopSeries-Car-Polisher-180mm-1200-Watt/135285?menuFrom=1021759

If there is something easier id love some advice Smile

2Polishing Empty Re: Polishing 6th May 2017, 9:36 pm

GTi ARGHH

Hi, I would ditch the lambswool buffing pad and get a couple of Meguiars pads. One for cutting (slower speed but keep moving) and one for polishing (a bit faster but not too fast) and again keep moving.

3Polishing Empty Re: Polishing 6th May 2017, 10:35 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

I no expert either but from what I've heard da would be a safer option. Something like this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142328229548?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

4Polishing Empty Re: Polishing 6th May 2017, 10:42 pm

Ajay.

As above dual action much safer espically if first time less chance of burning into paint

5Polishing Empty Re: Polishing 7th May 2017, 7:25 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

I got rid of the lambs wool and brought 2 pads today and tried again on the bonnet, this time taking my time. Slower speed on the cutting and abit faster on the polishing, got a much better result. I found the polish can be difficult, I was using a torch and on difficult angles I thought I hadn't done spots correctly, but it was just left over polish, that was even after wiping the excess with a micro-fibre cloth.

I guess you can only get old worn paint so good, maybe Ill give it a wash and see how it shows up. I don't want to do the rest of the car unless I'm confident I won't fook it up lol

6Polishing Empty Re: Polishing 7th May 2017, 10:00 pm

GTi ARGHH

Dont forget to wash straight after and to wax/seal or it wont last long.

Also the older paint is much tougher than todays, is it rare black?

7Polishing Empty Re: Polishing 7th May 2017, 10:41 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Thanks mate, yup it's the highly desirable rare black we all want Laughing

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum