Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

CYLINDER HEAD TORQUE SETTINGS ETC ETC

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1CYLINDER HEAD TORQUE SETTINGS ETC ETC Empty CYLINDER HEAD TORQUE SETTINGS ETC ETC 10th April 2017, 5:01 pm

mightydquinn

mightydquinn

Hello all,

After sacking off the liner idea, I'm now building my engine back up, the old Gtir workshop manual links don't seem to be working though.

Can anyone help me out with:

- head tightening sequence and torque settings
- timing chain marks
- cam pulley bolt torque settings
- cam shaft cap tightening sequence and torque setting

- anything else that may be helpful or I may have forgot!! LOL.

Hopefully I'll have it running again shortly then, see if I can get more than 472 horses with this build too!

Last question, I have the ARP bottom end bolts fitted, does anyone know how strong/how many BHP's the standard crank retaining bolts can take as they are standard on mine, or would I be better buying some ARP bolts for that too?

Thanks again for your help, Chris.

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

manuals and stuff are all in working links in useful links section >

http://www.gtir-motorsport-club.com/t5301-useful-pdf-files-software-info-on-the-gtir-easy-download-from-google-drive

or >

http://www.gtir-motorsport-club.com/t122-gtir-manuals-download#42106

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Main bolts are pretty good on the 54C. Can handle fair bit power and sensible rpm without bother. if change them you need line hone done .

mightydquinn

mightydquinn

Cheers mr B, there's deffo a lot of info there! I have found the head sequence, I didn't realise you had to tighten them up and loosen them off, then tighten them up again, it's been 2 years since I last stripped it down!

I can't seem to find the cam sprocket tightening torque, or the camshaft caps torque, I have found the cam caps but unless I'm blind, missing the torque settings! I seem to be finding most of the things in volume 1 of the workshop manual!

mightydquinn

mightydquinn

If they're good enough for 500 ish with just the standard rev limiter, I'll leave them alone!
Thanks again! Smile

6CYLINDER HEAD TORQUE SETTINGS ETC ETC Empty Re: CYLINDER HEAD TORQUE SETTINGS ETC ETC 10th April 2017, 10:08 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

They good for over 500hp . I never seen any bother with mains if all built right .
My machinist often says arp mains not a lot better .

I leave my head bolts over night before loosening off as allows gasket and bolts settle and get best compression and final torque after loosening. Even the new cometic gaskets take good boost no drama if all bolted down/prepared well.

mightydquinn

mightydquinn

I think I did that last time now you mention it, so I'll do that again! I bought a cosworth gasket so hopefully that shouldn't cause me any problems! Smile

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

Dont torque up the cam carrier bolts Chris
Do them up tight with a 3/8 ratchet (used bolts) youll know when they are tight enough, so basically use your wrist as a torque wrench Wink

If you try torquing them up to setting il guarantee you 100% that the bolts will snap in the head and from memory thats something like 20nm

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

mightydquinn

mightydquinn

Cheers Bob, I'll just go by feel then!

Any idea or the torque setting for the cam shaft sprocket bolts? I'm always wary of just nipping those up, even with the gun!!

10CYLINDER HEAD TORQUE SETTINGS ETC ETC Empty Re: CYLINDER HEAD TORQUE SETTINGS ETC ETC 11th April 2017, 10:41 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

cam caps are 9 to 11.8Nm
cam sprocket bolt is 137 to 157Nm
Go for middle of the range on those and job jobbed no hassles .

11CYLINDER HEAD TORQUE SETTINGS ETC ETC Empty Re: CYLINDER HEAD TORQUE SETTINGS ETC ETC 12th April 2017, 3:11 pm

mightydquinn

mightydquinn

Cheers pal, very helpful! Smile

12CYLINDER HEAD TORQUE SETTINGS ETC ETC Empty Re: CYLINDER HEAD TORQUE SETTINGS ETC ETC 12th April 2017, 3:22 pm

mightydquinn

mightydquinn

just to check, as there seems to be different chains in there, ive clicked on the volume 1 link which takes me to here....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7Ub2apq5-pfXzE2WEtDdVVaMmM/view

on page 145 I see all the torque settings for the head,

29nm, 59nm loosen bolts, then 29nm and 50-55 degrees, guessing this is the right one for our pulsars?

Thanks again!

13CYLINDER HEAD TORQUE SETTINGS ETC ETC Empty Re: CYLINDER HEAD TORQUE SETTINGS ETC ETC 12th April 2017, 6:59 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

No that not the SR section det head settings
it pdf page number 208 (EM-92 of manual 1)
CYLINDER HEAD TORQUE SETTINGS ETC ETC Head_bolt_settings

14CYLINDER HEAD TORQUE SETTINGS ETC ETC Empty Re: CYLINDER HEAD TORQUE SETTINGS ETC ETC 12th April 2017, 8:53 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Here's a thread post on my comments on head bolt fitting .
http://www.gtir-motorsport-club.com/t5720p270-cosmic-s-winter-pulsar-project#94028
only other thing i recommend is using a digital torque meter with angular function as accurate/easy and can also see actual torque reached and see how even they are. mark heads of bolts too as saves any doubts or errors as got that mark as constant reference point .

15CYLINDER HEAD TORQUE SETTINGS ETC ETC Empty Re: CYLINDER HEAD TORQUE SETTINGS ETC ETC 13th April 2017, 7:59 am

mightydquinn

mightydquinn

Thankyou, I questioned because I thought the torque settings I had found seemed far too low!

I have the latest snap on torque wrench pal with all the flashing lights and angular capability....... So that will be the torque wrench I am using!

Thanks again!

16CYLINDER HEAD TORQUE SETTINGS ETC ETC Empty Re: CYLINDER HEAD TORQUE SETTINGS ETC ETC 13th April 2017, 10:32 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

They are good, don't have the snap-on one myself, maybe you can post it to me so I can borrow it lol :-)

17CYLINDER HEAD TORQUE SETTINGS ETC ETC Empty Re: CYLINDER HEAD TORQUE SETTINGS ETC ETC 13th April 2017, 10:45 am

mightydquinn

mightydquinn

Haha, I have the small one and the big one! I don't have the 1/4 drive one though! And no worries, or if you like, next time I'm passing I'll just drop it off!!!!!!!

18CYLINDER HEAD TORQUE SETTINGS ETC ETC Empty Re: CYLINDER HEAD TORQUE SETTINGS ETC ETC 13th April 2017, 11:27 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

I'll wait until you get the 1/4 then you can drop all 3 off in one trip haha .

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum