Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Removing aftermarket Controllers

+3
johnny gtir
Stu
typeritr
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Removing aftermarket Controllers Empty Removing aftermarket Controllers 28th January 2017, 5:19 pm

typeritr

typeritr

So I was going to fit a better alarm to the car today until I looked under the dash. A maze or spliced wires, and hooked up relays. Just stripped wires wrapped around other stripped wires and insulation tape holding everything together.

Removing aftermarket Controllers 4A7100CD-6CEE-4C14-A310-46B71BF6DB80_zpsreqbwj8m
Removing aftermarket Controllers D3AB5262-1637-43C2-ACFB-B9D7247F6CD1_zpsd7ct6k7c

There is a boost controller no make and I don't know what setting are on it cos I don't know how to use it.

Then there is a "Gizmo Fuel Cam" controller: From what I see you can control air/fuel and cam settings.
The previous owner said these were set up to run with the sard ECU. But I am guessing these are not very accurate settings. Not like a remap or anything so how good can they be? Would the SARD ecu on its own not be just as good?

I don't want any of them really, and would prefer to get the wiring loom nice and neat again not a maze of random spliced wires.

If i were to just remove them and do nothing else would the car run ok do ye think? Or would I be better off just leaving them in it and work around all the wiring.

2Removing aftermarket Controllers Empty Re: Removing aftermarket Controllers 28th January 2017, 5:39 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

We're these other gizmos adjusted to suit the map while it was on a dyno.
Or did the last owner just install them and put them at the settings that the install instructions say to.
If the latter I would say it's okay to remove them and clean up the loom.
I'm no tuner or qualified mechanic tho so this is only my thoughts on it.
Cant see them being setup on a dyno if they are just twist and tape installs lol
What boost are you going to be running?
The cars can be run on upto 1.3bar of boost without any afr mods.
What spec are you intending to keep and add to the car in the near future?

3Removing aftermarket Controllers Empty Re: Removing aftermarket Controllers 28th January 2017, 6:51 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Put a couple of pics of the controllers up. I would not remove (unless there only monitoring) them if they alter anything without getting the car on a dyno straight after. I am no expert but I have seen how minor changes make a big difference to the map even air filters etc

4Removing aftermarket Controllers Empty Re: Removing aftermarket Controllers 28th January 2017, 7:27 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

His car only has an ecu with a sard daughter board with generic map hasnt it.
I could see it having an affect if it was all mapped in to the map.

5Removing aftermarket Controllers Empty Re: Removing aftermarket Controllers 28th January 2017, 7:34 pm

typeritr

typeritr

Yeah just have a SARd daughterboard ecu, nothing specific to the car. Do people not run their cars with just these ecus? Or do we need the controllers with the daughter board ecus? I can't imagine you would pay for dyno time and not get a full remap, I don't plan on looking for much power. I am happy what it has by how it feels, But I don't know what the number has

6Removing aftermarket Controllers Empty Re: Removing aftermarket Controllers 28th January 2017, 8:01 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

Yes people do run with just those ecus.
Its always advisable to have them checked on a dyno to check afrs. ..
Alot of people used to run with just the boost turned up on a standard ecu.
Mine at the moment is like that.

Every car is different from the next so always best to have it checked on the dyno unless you have a wideband monitor.

7Removing aftermarket Controllers Empty Re: Removing aftermarket Controllers 28th January 2017, 9:19 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

I am lost off ? you said it has a maze of wires and a controller to adjust the air/fuel so that will be wired in ? That will be running along side the Sard Ecu to tweek the settings more so will of been adjusted on dyno so if you disconnect them the SARD Ecu unless the cars set up again won't be ok just to drive about in my opinion

8Removing aftermarket Controllers Empty Re: Removing aftermarket Controllers 28th January 2017, 9:39 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

Wouldn't removing the wired in afr gizmo just put it back to standard?
If it's like the hks afr it's inline on the afr wire so wouldnt affect the sard map because it wouldn't have been mapped into a generic map.
Thats how I understand it anyways.

Sounds like it's just a basic afr adjustment.

9Removing aftermarket Controllers Empty Re: Removing aftermarket Controllers 28th January 2017, 11:22 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

Wait a minute, so you've got some sort of daughter board and piggy back on a top of that?? If you're keen on doing stuff yourself I'd put afr gauge there just to make sure she's running right and then start removing stuff and see what happens, but don't listen to me just get it to somebody who could sort it for you. Or you can melt something....

10Removing aftermarket Controllers Empty Re: Removing aftermarket Controllers 29th January 2017, 4:42 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

The daughter board changes the parameters and then the controllers further alter them so removing one or the other the car would need set up. Unless the lot is removed and you run standard boost. Anything above requires afr gauge minimum and over a bar I would be putting it on the rollers for a accurate set up as age of parts and every engine differs

11Removing aftermarket Controllers Empty Re: Removing aftermarket Controllers 29th January 2017, 4:56 pm

typeritr

typeritr

Yes the controllers are inline after the ECU, so that is the way it is working at the moment. The only thing I am trying to consider is did somebody who actually knows what they are doing do this or was it just some random person who thinks he knows what he is up to, and by the looks of the wiring it seems like a home DIY job.
I know the correct thing would be bin them and just get a proper map put on the car, I plan on nistune at some stage in the future. But at the moment don't have the cash for that. Might just hook in an AFR meter and run it on the SARD ecu on its own see how it goes.

12Removing aftermarket Controllers Empty Re: Removing aftermarket Controllers 29th January 2017, 5:15 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Without seeing it or afr could not tell you but they must be set fairly accurate or it would not take long to kill the engine and if they were not set right it would run shit. Not all tuners are good with wires and maybe he wired them in and they work so were set up at last map.

13Removing aftermarket Controllers Empty Re: Removing aftermarket Controllers 29th January 2017, 5:27 pm

typeritr

typeritr

That's the problem with buying these cars I suppose. It is the first car I have bought that has been messed with and not fairly standard. I have always searched for a car that has not been messed wit too much, a blank canvas so to speak and build it my way from there. I just have a seriuos lack of trust with the quality of mods by previous owners.
It runs well as it is so I suppose you do make a good point. why change it if it is running well. The SARD ecu on its own is still an unknown.  I could hide the controllers behind the dash and try forget about the spiderweb wiring.

14Removing aftermarket Controllers Empty Re: Removing aftermarket Controllers 29th January 2017, 9:36 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Have you pulled the tape off and see if its been soldered on .... i would just tidy them up and keep controllers where you can access them if needed ... get a wideband that will give you abit of insight on hows it running .... if it runs good and your happy with the power then leave it .... if it aint broke dont fix it kind of thing ...

15Removing aftermarket Controllers Empty Re: Removing aftermarket Controllers 29th January 2017, 10:19 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Where you based mate ?
The older these cars get personally with what I have learnt over the years and seen at bobs by him and other mappers little changes can make major differences and a check /good map is worth ever penny as difference between your engine lasting and not
Parts getting older a good ignition system is a must good pipe work etc

16Removing aftermarket Controllers Empty Re: Removing aftermarket Controllers 29th January 2017, 10:28 pm

typeritr

typeritr

I have indeed and that's why i want to pull them off. Not a patch of solder in sight!! I could spend a day soldering wires to fix the work, and where the wires are routed is a disaster.

I will contact the guy who has tuned my previous cars, but he is very busy normally and time is money with him. Will see if he can check it out on both the ECU alone and the current setup.

I am based in Ireland.

Last edited by typeritr on 29th January 2017, 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

17Removing aftermarket Controllers Empty Re: Removing aftermarket Controllers 29th January 2017, 10:46 pm

johnboy

johnboy

I'm probably the odd one out here, but I've had several R's and the first thing I always do is remove ALL aftermarket stuff, including alarms, bov, front mount etc and get it back to standard. Replace the ecu if it's not standard or had bits added and then at least you can be fairly sure the car will run. If the wiring is in the mess you say then I'd just get rid... Good luck.

18Removing aftermarket Controllers Empty Re: Removing aftermarket Controllers 30th January 2017, 11:27 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

If pulling stuff out be sure other remaining parts would match the remaining ecu, Injectors fitted being first thing look at as you'll soon have big trouble or non runner if remaining maf/injector sizing and the ecu map not a match.
*do remember 1 of your posts mentioning 700cc injectors ! has it ?
I kind of with John on ripping it all out approach and more so when fitting a serious bodge, Ways yours done sounds bit of a amateur mess. Main thing is get fueling checked & general check of other parameters.
Pretty sure some of those Sard ecu's came as a kit with bigger injectors bit like the tomei did with higher power tuning stages so need check out what you got and the AFR's one way or other ...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum