Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pete (the box slayer) rebuild

+11
mightydquinn
gtir_woody
PartyPete
johnny gtir
shroom
nomad
toaster55
burrows1980
ducie54
mreguest
Stu
15 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 7]

1Pete (the box slayer) rebuild Empty Pete (the box slayer) rebuild 5th July 2016, 8:26 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

This post details Pete's gearbox rebuild from scratch and ill be following the official Nissan workshop manual line by line.
Please chip in with any advice or support as there's quite a bit of pressure to get this one right after the 7 previous failures. His luck's gotta change sometime  Laughing

Anyway all shaft assemblies are stripped and ready for inspection and measurement. Very Happy

Last edited by Cosmic73 on 6th July 2016, 4:50 am; edited 1 time in total

2Pete (the box slayer) rebuild Empty Re: Pete (the box slayer) rebuild 5th July 2016, 8:50 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Looking forward to watching this thread Smile

3Pete (the box slayer) rebuild Empty Re: Pete (the box slayer) rebuild 5th July 2016, 10:08 pm

burrows1980

burrows1980

This will be like a gtir gearbox Haynes manual post thumbsup come on hurry up Laughing

4Pete (the box slayer) rebuild Empty Re: Pete (the box slayer) rebuild 6th July 2016, 6:18 am

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Pete's replacement main shaft came yesterday, thanks Stu! Very Happy
Pete (the box slayer) rebuild Img-2011

Although it came out a failed box, it was because of the magnet breaking up and going through mesh , which is relatively soft and shouldn't have over stressed the teeth.
As shown below there's minor debris damage to the flanks but no signs of wear or cracking   Very Happy
Pete (the box slayer) rebuild Img_2051

The journals look good with only very minor wear.
The manual doesn't state a wear limit diameter for these journals which is surprising
Pete (the box slayer) rebuild Img_2052

5Pete (the box slayer) rebuild Empty Re: Pete (the box slayer) rebuild 6th July 2016, 11:13 am

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

You're welcome mate.
Hopefully its good enough to use.
All this technical stuff is way over my head lol

6Pete (the box slayer) rebuild Empty Re: Pete (the box slayer) rebuild 6th July 2016, 11:20 am

shroom

shroom

I think you have to also give a rep point for Neils wife she followed him around all day at Japfest 2 listening to him go on about shafts and needle bearings she is a trooper!

'Shit' think I need to sell my Sunny!

But woman cant replace a sheep
Oh I wish that for the peace!
But I really cant find my honey
The only one I would give my money
Is one with a great big fleece
And then I would be at peace...

7Pete (the box slayer) rebuild Empty Re: Pete (the box slayer) rebuild 6th July 2016, 1:21 pm

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

This is going to be interesting! And like burrows said, this is basically going to be a full how to on the Gtir box!!

8Pete (the box slayer) rebuild Empty Re: Pete (the box slayer) rebuild 7th July 2016, 5:35 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

You got ring-gear to go with the mainshaft .
How you looking for syncro parts & replacement par parts .

9Pete (the box slayer) rebuild Empty Re: Pete (the box slayer) rebuild 7th July 2016, 6:09 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Mr B wrote:You got ring-gear to go with the mainshaft .
How you looking for syncro parts & replacement par parts .

Im salvaging these parts from Pete's 2nd box which all look ok but ill be taking them to work next week to be measured aswell to make sure they're still within limits.
Pete is ordering new 1st and 2nd mainshaft gears from PAR in the next few weeks Very Happy

10Pete (the box slayer) rebuild Empty Re: Pete (the box slayer) rebuild 7th July 2016, 6:44 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

I prefer a used mainshaft & ring-gear as a set over mixing used ones whenever possible .

11Pete (the box slayer) rebuild Empty Re: Pete (the box slayer) rebuild 7th July 2016, 7:17 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Mr B wrote:I prefer a used mainshaft & ring-gear as a set over mixing used ones whenever possible .

I agree about matching sets where parts mate with each other.
By ring gear, do mean the reverse ring gear on the 1st/2nd synchro hub?

12Pete (the box slayer) rebuild Empty Re: Pete (the box slayer) rebuild 7th July 2016, 7:56 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

fd ring-gear

13Pete (the box slayer) rebuild Empty Re: Pete (the box slayer) rebuild 7th July 2016, 8:46 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Mr B wrote:fd ring-gear
I was going to speak to Pete about this but first he needs the green light on Stu's main shaft which im getting measured next week.

14Pete (the box slayer) rebuild Empty Re: Pete (the box slayer) rebuild 7th July 2016, 9:08 pm

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

What's the issue?

15Pete (the box slayer) rebuild Empty Re: Pete (the box slayer) rebuild 8th July 2016, 5:51 am

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

PartyPete wrote:What's the issue?

I want to measure the journal diamters and gear bores so when assembled id know the play from any wear.  study
Like i said the journals look fine but i just want to know.
The manual doesnt state a 'wear' diameter for the journals, but just tells you to inspect for signs of wear, Suspect

16Pete (the box slayer) rebuild Empty Re: Pete (the box slayer) rebuild 8th July 2016, 6:31 am

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

It doesn't state any wear limits but tells you to check for wear scratch ....makes sense Razz

17Pete (the box slayer) rebuild Empty Re: Pete (the box slayer) rebuild 8th July 2016, 12:15 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Generally as any wear will be visual scoring or lubrication/heat damage over excessive clearance. Would of been nice have factory clearances in manual.
Was much easier doing boxes few years back when plentiful and very good order full spare box easily sourced .
Has Stu got ring gear paired with that shaft ...

18Pete (the box slayer) rebuild Empty Re: Pete (the box slayer) rebuild 8th July 2016, 7:20 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

I don't know you've been dipping your shaft Stu but a load of black jizz came out of it Shocked
Pete (the box slayer) rebuild Img_2053

Now it's all scrubbed The journals look good as do the flanks.
Pete (the box slayer) rebuild Img_2054
Pete (the box slayer) rebuild Img_2055

The input shaft looks good except for the heavy contact on the non drive flanks from where it was backward driven . Also there's a small dink in the tip which needs polishing out. It can also be seen in the photo below.

Pete (the box slayer) rebuild Img_2056

The good news everything's ready to measure. Also there's a spare 1st synchro ring Pete so you might be able to get a refund.
Pete (the box slayer) rebuild Img_2057

19Pete (the box slayer) rebuild Empty Re: Pete (the box slayer) rebuild 8th July 2016, 7:31 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

Mr B wrote:Generally as any wear will be visual scoring or lubrication/heat damage over excessive clearance. Would of been nice have factory clearances in manual.
Was much easier doing boxes few years back when plentiful and very good order full spare box easily sourced .
Has Stu got ring gear paired with that shaft ...
If the ring gear is the diff then thats in my gearbox.

Cosmic73 wrote:I don't know you've been dipping your shaft Stu but a load of black jizz came out of it Shocked
Pete (the box slayer) rebuild Img_2053

Now it's all scrubbed The journals look good as do the flanks.
Pete (the box slayer) rebuild Img_2054
Pete (the box slayer) rebuild Img_2055

The input shaft looks good except for the heavy contact on the non drive flanks from where it was backward driven . Also there's a small dink in the tip which needs polishing out. It can also be seen in the photo below.

Pete (the box slayer) rebuild Img_2056

The good news everything's ready to measure. Also there's a spare 1st synchro ring Pete so you might be able to get a refund.
Pete (the box slayer) rebuild Img_2057
I guess all that black shite is from the magnet exploding?
Glad my gearbox builder used the shafts out of my spare box for my rebuild lol

20Pete (the box slayer) rebuild Empty Re: Pete (the box slayer) rebuild 8th July 2016, 9:28 pm

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

Did somebody say refund? Haha need all the extra pennies I can get

21Pete (the box slayer) rebuild Empty Re: Pete (the box slayer) rebuild 8th July 2016, 9:32 pm

burrows1980

burrows1980

I wouldn't know where to start with that box of bits!

22Pete (the box slayer) rebuild Empty Re: Pete (the box slayer) rebuild 8th July 2016, 9:41 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

burrows1980 wrote:I wouldn't know where to start with that box of bits!

Its all labelled, plus i photographed each step.
Yes, refund Pete, how much was your synchro?

23Pete (the box slayer) rebuild Empty Re: Pete (the box slayer) rebuild 8th July 2016, 9:44 pm

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

Can't remember 100% but sure it was around £40

24Pete (the box slayer) rebuild Empty Re: Pete (the box slayer) rebuild 9th July 2016, 6:29 am

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Can I be a twat lads inc this post I am writing this thread is off track already. Needs to be solid gear box build thread from start ie strip down to rebuild in order inc pics only and any comments reps etc general chat can be added to the other one. Even the cleaning process tools used to measure parts what to look for just pure fact with questions on a different thread

Not meaning to sound funny but it's great your willing to do one even it it helps others understand what to ask a builder for on there builds. Just would love to see a pure fact file

25Pete (the box slayer) rebuild Empty Re: Pete (the box slayer) rebuild 9th July 2016, 9:00 am

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

johnny gtir wrote:Can I be a twat lads inc this post I am writing this thread is off track already. Needs to be solid gear box build thread from start ie strip down to rebuild in order inc pics only and any comments reps etc general chat can be added to the other one. Even the cleaning process tools used to measure parts what to look for just pure fact with questions on a different thread

Not meaning to sound funny but it's great your willing to do one even it it helps others understand what to ask a builder  for on there builds. Just would love to see a pure fact file

Thats a fair point but the workshop manual is pretty good at detailing the strip down and rebuild (inc diagrams) anyway and all im doing is following it step by step.

Also its more complicated because theres was no clean strip down, just a salvage from 3 failed boxes.

Once its all done, i can create a new post that will be a pure and concise strip and rebuild. I can use the strip down photos from my gearbox, and rebuild photos from mine and Petes gearbox without the the banter.

Right now, i want everyones comments for 2 reasons;
Most of the parts being salvaged are from failed gearboxes and may be compromised, so its higher risk of future failure,
If Petes box does fail again, ill get blamed and i dont want to be slagged off for things i shouldve done by people that didnt pipe up at the time.
Im not charging anything thing for this, and id be offended if Pete  offered me something. I just want to help someone who's had rotten luck by doing the best i can according to the book.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 7]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum