Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

GTR35 gearbox issues again

+14
Mr B
GTI-R US
ben15476
GTIRSI
nomad
Stu
mightydquinn
johnboy
Bones
FPSChris
Welling_AL
gtir_woody
Bandyleg
splmum
18 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1GTR35 gearbox issues again Empty GTR35 gearbox issues again 17th February 2016, 9:48 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

well after my last nightmare I finally got the car running correctly and gear selection was spot on after partially stripping, cleaning and reassembling the solenoid packs etc.
Far better than it ever had been since I purchased the car around 4 years ago so was well chuffed Smile

anyway a few months down the road now have a further issue with clutch slip and stalling car when trying to engage/select park so back on the lift the car goes Rolling Eyes

Have now found a further issue.........basically the very expensive hydraulic oil has now decided to mix with coolant leading to a mayo coloured mess scratch
So on further investigation have discovered that an o ring seal in the original oil cooler housing has split which has resulted in the coolant mixing with the hydraulic oil.

Drained it all out as best as possible and refilled it then tried driving the car but hell no its having none of it and clutches are slipping until you get revs up to around 4k then they start to bite which is as good as a one legged bloke in an arse kicking competition lol

So eventually its come to this  thinking

GTR35 gearbox issues again 20160212_133348_zpsutumazn5
GTR35 gearbox issues again 20160212_185352_zpsvwb4nedz
GTR35 gearbox issues again 20160212_133411_zpstas4mnxsGTR35 gearbox issues again 20160216_200649_zpszn4tthmj
GTR35 gearbox issues again 20160216_200817_zpsr2t5epgg
GTR35 gearbox issues again 20160216_200710_zpstl15qolz

now got to strip the whole front section of gearbox down and remove the very expensive clutch basket housing the many clutches (2 per gear) Shocked

Last edited by GTI-R US on 21st February 2016, 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

2GTR35 gearbox issues again Empty Re: GTR35 gearbox issues again 17th February 2016, 10:12 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Doesnt look like a job id want to attempt .... so do you think its just all the fluid and oil mixed in the clutch causing it to slip or is the strip down to gain access to the o-ring

3GTR35 gearbox issues again Empty Re: GTR35 gearbox issues again 17th February 2016, 10:46 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

No the o ring can be easily got at as the cooler is bolted on front of box so already sorted that.

The issue now is the damage that could have been caused by the fluids mixing as the clutches are wet clutches similar to a motorbike and they don't take kindly to contaminated fluids or even the wrong fluid.

As well as that the solenoid packs around  12 in total which work in 2 directions so effectively around 24 movements half of those being electronic solenoids in the clutch pack area which will engage 2 clutches per gear. 
These may not be working  as they should and if they malfunction could end up with them trying to engage 2 gears at one time which will lead to a not very nice outcome lol

So basically I need to strip the whole lot down to clean everything spotlessly and examine the drive plates to see if they are burnt where clutches have been slipping so not gonna be cheap as uprated new clutch pack starts at around £1800 if they are damaged which I suspect they are Neutral

4GTR35 gearbox issues again Empty Re: GTR35 gearbox issues again 18th February 2016, 8:46 am

splmum

splmum

Shit, bad luck Bob. Modern technology is good but so expensive is something goes wrong, especially a simple 5 bob 'o'ring.
GL with the strip and hope worst is not there and all is ok, just a bit of water stopping it all working.

5GTR35 gearbox issues again Empty Re: GTR35 gearbox issues again 18th February 2016, 9:46 am

Bandyleg

Bandyleg

WOW, that thing looks pretty!! Pretty always means expense, good luck and I hope you don't have to spend all the wedge.

6GTR35 gearbox issues again Empty Re: GTR35 gearbox issues again 18th February 2016, 10:04 am

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

cheers guys

will know more today as im going to strip the thing right down to try figure out what the issue is as I need the car fixed and out of my workshop.

Trouble is with these boxes, as well as being extremely complex everything you have to buy costs shed loads of money and an unknown used box can go for anything between 5-8k with them being around 16k new from Nissan stealership
If I had to take it in to get repaired then its £800+vat just to have the box removed that's before dis-assembly of the thing Shocked
ive heard of more than one case where people have had in excess of 22k bills to pay for repair and fitting of some modified parts

Kind of makes the Gtir seem like a very cheap little runabout lol

7GTR35 gearbox issues again Empty Re: GTR35 gearbox issues again 18th February 2016, 10:27 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

GTI-R US wrote:
ive heard of more than one case where people have had in excess of 22k bills to pay for repair and fitting of some modified parts

Kind of makes the Gtir seem like a very cheap little runabout lol

Fooking hell, must be keen to fork out some money.

Has anyone seen the new Japanese Performance Mag? there is a red R35 featured in it, so sexy.

8GTR35 gearbox issues again Empty Re: GTR35 gearbox issues again 18th February 2016, 10:31 am

Welling_AL

Welling_AL

Bloody hell - that's some serious wedge if you need such work done !
Luckily you're a man in the know - or at least getting to know....very intimately by the sounds of it !
Hope it all goes well Bob and no major parts need replacing !
Keep us updated.

9GTR35 gearbox issues again Empty Re: GTR35 gearbox issues again 22nd February 2016, 12:40 am

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

Well little update for those interested in the working or maybe demise of my gtr gearbox Laughing

Been finding it hard to find the time to work on this so came in today to start stripping it down bit by bit and gotta say I'm now getting to understand how this thing actually works and how the twin electro hydraulic clutch system works in relation to gear selection but basically each of the  solenoids in the clutch pack assembly is linked directly to its neighbouring solenoid in the main gear housing.
So ecu tells the solenoids that a shift has been made by driver and at that precise moment one clutch disengages the gear and other clutch is hydraulically depressed simultaneously which engages the next gear
so the really clever part with these boxes is actually the software written into the gearbox ecu.The timing has to be perfect in order not to crunch a gear which would be catastrophic given the power / torque and sheer speed in which these cars can select gear.

So I set about finding out what damage may have been caused by mixing the water with the fluid and that means a total strip down of the box (well at least the front and centre sections) as these both contain the electro magnets and solenoids which use very expensive hydraulic fluid in order that they are able to perform gear shifts at lightning fast speed so it's paramount that all solenoids are not hindered by shitty contaminated oil which can restrict the movement of clutch and gear select solenoids so a simple flushing of the system is nowhere near sufficient unless you want to end up with one big pile of smashed gear components What a Face

So from this
GTR35 gearbox issues again 20160212_185306_zpslrwhr6pq

It now looks like this Shocked
GTR35 gearbox issues again 20160210

GTR35 gearbox issues again 20160214

GTR35 gearbox issues again 20160215

That's just the front section which contains all the clutch basket and many drive plates, 4wd diff gear, hydraulics and solenoids that operate everything. I still need to totally strip down the solenoid packs and check their operation but the vlutch drive plates all look to be OK which is a good thing as they are very expensive.

Next will come the main gear section housing itself which needs to be split from the rear section that contains the rear diff etc

GTR35 gearbox issues again 2016-010

10GTR35 gearbox issues again Empty Re: GTR35 gearbox issues again 22nd February 2016, 8:31 am

FPSChris

FPSChris

Shocked
There's me thinking a pulsar gear box was complicated to strip.

Do you have a workshop manual for this tear down Bob?

It's really good to see you part documenting it.

https://soundcloud.com/fpschris

11GTR35 gearbox issues again Empty Re: GTR35 gearbox issues again 22nd February 2016, 8:45 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Fookin hell, If I did that the box would never be put back to together.

Next thing you'd see is me posting a thread selling GTR gearbox paperweights Laughing

12GTR35 gearbox issues again Empty Re: GTR35 gearbox issues again 22nd February 2016, 9:08 am

Bones

Bones
the two star club
the two star club

This was my dream car but scarred shitless of having one now. I can imagine my wife's face if I told her my garage bill was 22 grand

13GTR35 gearbox issues again Empty Re: GTR35 gearbox issues again 23rd February 2016, 6:54 pm

ben15476

ben15476

All looks fairly clean though. Assume you have been cleaning the sludge off as you go right?

14GTR35 gearbox issues again Empty Re: GTR35 gearbox issues again 23rd February 2016, 7:07 pm

Bones wrote:This was my dream car but scarred shitless of having one now. I can imagine my wife's face if I told her my garage bill was 22 grand

buy any audi rs series car makes almost every super car repairs bills seem like small change if something goes wrong

15GTR35 gearbox issues again Empty Re: GTR35 gearbox issues again 23rd February 2016, 8:10 pm

ben15476

ben15476

+1 to that!

16GTR35 gearbox issues again Empty Re: GTR35 gearbox issues again 24th February 2016, 2:08 am

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

FPSChris wrote:Shocked
There's me thinking a pulsar gear box was complicated to strip.
Do you have a workshop manual for this tear down Bob?

It's really good to see you part documenting it.

No book Chris, I truly am winging it Laughing
Trouble is with these boxes is its hard to get any info as its a closed shop with the big players such as svm and litchfield
So I'm trying to work Out exactly how it works as I dismember it and I'm learning fast..........I have to lol

Think I've found the issue now but won't commit myself until I've re-assembled it all and its hopefully all working. If that is the case then next time I pull one art I will feel confident in what I'm doing sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and chuck yourself in at the deepend 

Far far from clean yet Ben, this thing needs to be spotless when it goes back together no dirt or contaminants whatsoever

17GTR35 gearbox issues again Empty Re: GTR35 gearbox issues again 24th February 2016, 6:26 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

That certainly the deep end .
Hope works spot on once assembled as give you confidence & right mind frame work on them again. Is a huge hassle with no workshop manual data or nissan training .
Don't think I will be stripping one lol, looks more stressful than spending time with her indoors :-S

18GTR35 gearbox issues again Empty Re: GTR35 gearbox issues again 24th February 2016, 10:26 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Hopefully it works out ok for you mate

19GTR35 gearbox issues again Empty Re: GTR35 gearbox issues again 24th February 2016, 10:30 am

ben15476

ben15476

Stick the bits in the dishwasher then... Smile

20GTR35 gearbox issues again Empty Re: GTR35 gearbox issues again 26th February 2016, 12:46 am

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

Well bit more done this evening
Solenoid pack pulled apart, this has been the biggest challenge so far with lots of little springs, ball bearings, miniature filters and seals etc
Wasted an hour tonight as I dropped a tiny little spring and bearing and what a mission trying to find that fooker scratch

Tested all the solenoids out and all are working correctly. Next comes the clutches solenoid pack and solenoids which operate them and this is where I believe the problem lies.

Have to reassemble some of these things first though after thoroughly cleaning 'every single part' as I've ran out of worktop space to put everything and that's 14 ft long lol
Here's some more pics

GTR35 gearbox issues again 20160217[/url]
GTR35 gearbox issues again 20160218
GTR35 gearbox issues again 20160219
GTR35 gearbox issues again 20160221
GTR35 gearbox issues again 20160222
GTR35 gearbox issues again 20160223

21GTR35 gearbox issues again Empty Re: GTR35 gearbox issues again 26th February 2016, 2:52 am

splmum

splmum

Wow! At nearly 3.00am you should be getting some sleep as we all know that's when little errors creep in and you don't want that happening.

22GTR35 gearbox issues again Empty Re: GTR35 gearbox issues again 22nd August 2016, 11:00 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

Well its been a few months as been so busy wirking on other cars that not had time to sort my own out but a few more late nights recently and 7 day weeks and finally its all back together and ready to go in after the rebuild.

GTR35 gearbox issues again 20160811

So im praying she all works ok after programming the tcm to sync with main ecu
So will find out this week  at some point if it works or uf i have to take a hammer to it lol

One thing i do know is that this assembly is fookin heavy, killed my back lugging this lot around but il take that if it all works

23GTR35 gearbox issues again Empty Re: GTR35 gearbox issues again 23rd August 2016, 5:56 pm

johnboy

johnboy

Well done Bob, really hope it works after all those late nights. you the man
Did look a hell of a challenge with all those bits on the work bench.

24GTR35 gearbox issues again Empty Re: GTR35 gearbox issues again 23rd August 2016, 7:10 pm

mightydquinn

mightydquinn

Looks good on the outside! Good luck! Smile

25GTR35 gearbox issues again Empty Re: GTR35 gearbox issues again 23rd August 2016, 7:18 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

You are one crazy fucker Bob lol
Fareplay to you for getting stuck in tho.
Its amazing looking at all those pictures of parts that you know where everything goes!
Here's me moaning about fucking about with my gtir..
Hopefully its all good once back in.

http://www.j10-meets.co.uk

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum