Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Smart Car Auto gearbox issue

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Smart Car Auto gearbox issue Empty Smart Car Auto gearbox issue 17th October 2015, 7:58 pm

Andy Sunny Gti

Andy Sunny Gti

Got the wife a smart car to run about in last year.
Been perfect no issues as she only does 1500 each year.
Just to do the school run, work, and shopping. All within a 2 mile radius.

Now the car was due its service and needed a front spring to pass mot.

Got the car to a garage who I used to go to.
They had the car 2 days to do a spring and mot? Wtf Mad 

Got the car back and now the wife told me its not working.
After further inspection the gearbox is now fooked.

The fact that this garage has a fleet of 7 smart cars.
Is it that they have swapped the gearbox over or its just bad timing and its happened?
Bloody mad right now.
Called the garage ranting and he said they have done noting.
I should bring it own and they will have a look. Don't trust them now.

Have been told they are a nightmare and expensive to fix if it is a gearbox issue, anyone have experience of these smart cars? No

2Smart Car Auto gearbox issue Empty Re: Smart Car Auto gearbox issue 17th October 2015, 8:02 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Can you not get a indepndant report done or similar to prove if the box has been off should be some small clues. Might cost but will clear your mind

3Smart Car Auto gearbox issue Empty Re: Smart Car Auto gearbox issue 17th October 2015, 8:04 pm

Andy Sunny Gti

Andy Sunny Gti

Might do that just to confirm.
The wife needs a car too especially now the winter months are creeping in.

4Smart Car Auto gearbox issue Empty Re: Smart Car Auto gearbox issue 17th October 2015, 8:07 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

You should be able to spot something yourself before you pay for it checked and pay money to AA or similar but don't leave it to long or they will say it was fine when it left them

5Smart Car Auto gearbox issue Empty Re: Smart Car Auto gearbox issue 17th October 2015, 9:26 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Ive worked on a smart roadster with auto gearbox issue not sure its the same lump etc .... it wouldnt go into gear wich turned out to be the gear sensor ... it got the 3bars on the dash .... ???

6Smart Car Auto gearbox issue Empty Re: Smart Car Auto gearbox issue 17th October 2015, 9:42 pm

Andy Sunny Gti

Andy Sunny Gti

Yes 3 bars.
I have been told it could be something simple like changing brake light bulbs or wiring.
If the electrics are played about with this can cause the issue.
The car did have brake lights changed and heated seats wiring re soldered.

Could be various things.
Just annoyed that's it's happened now.

Did read this online though....
Sounds just like my issue.

------------
Bob :

When you say loose gears, do this skip gears, or slip into neutral?
Customer:

i loose all drive and the display on dashboard which normally tells me which gear i am in comes up with three horizantial flashing lines engine still runging but no power to road wheels have to switch off engine and leave for approx 10 seconds and restart engine then screen displays n for nutral put in to gear and off we go but it happened 3 times this morning in less than one mile
Bob :

Thanks for the extra info,
Bob :

ok this is a known fault on most of the smart car range
Bob :

However there are a few potential causes
Bob :

First double check the brake light bulbs are the correct wattage, and correct bulb, if you have had one replaced recently

--------------------

7Smart Car Auto gearbox issue Empty Re: Smart Car Auto gearbox issue 17th October 2015, 10:20 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

I had so much trouble over the years she owned it it used to leak in water .... various electrical issues one being the 3 bars on the dash it was always blowing bulbs or lights didnt work i was glad she got rid of it after owning it for 3 years ...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum