Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

my GTIR

+13
shroom
grim_d
gtir_woody
Stu
buckym120
sooni
pulsarmoley
luke s
Indy
Spark plug spike
nomad
Mr B
johnny gtir
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 6]

26my GTIR - Page 2 Empty Re: my GTIR 4th March 2015, 2:42 pm

Spark plug spike

Spark plug spike

Luke, yes I have reused the same pistons (put new rings on), same rods (less the scored one) cosworth 1.8mm headgasket, used a different block and crank but everything else was the same.

The compressions are still the same low but close readings across the board, oil pressure was 6 to 7 on cold start, 2 on hot idle and 4 whilst cruising and raising up while boosting. Still the same after the rebuild?

I did the rebuild myself (had access to a friends garage with tools/ramp/stand/crane) and still cost me about £1200 in parts, skimming, cleaning, gaskets, oils etc

In all honesty if I had to do it again without all the help and spare parts I already had I would buy a ready made forged engine with all new parts to drop straight in.

27my GTIR - Page 2 Empty Re: my GTIR 4th March 2015, 6:16 pm

luke s

Ok thank you spikebwell tomorrow I'l know how bad things are, and then go from there.

thanks for the information so far guys

28my GTIR - Page 2 Empty Re: my GTIR 4th March 2015, 7:05 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Sorry i know what its like to have a engine let go was not having a go just pointing out so so many things factor into it to what could be wrong or how bad it is but that sump gives a big indication to a big fail. Dont know about spike but cleaning a block and parts alone takes hours and hours as just one tiny piece of that metal will cause a new build to fail

29my GTIR - Page 2 Empty Re: my GTIR 4th March 2015, 7:08 pm

luke s

No that's ok I understand bud just got to see how things are tomorrow

30my GTIR - Page 2 Empty Re: my GTIR 4th March 2015, 7:18 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Just i re read it and your reply and sometimes reading reply on screen comes across the wrong way. Reading stuff on here deffo helps i just did not want you missing something as every fail is unique if that makes sense. How long its ran i seen engines knocking and people reving them i am like wow that banging is not goin to be made better by reving its prob made any chance of saving the crank go. ( not that you are but you get my jist) fingers crossed for tomorrow get some pictures up and we can advise from there anything you strip keep in logical order and stick bolts through carboard in the order you removed them any questions ask away

31my GTIR - Page 2 Empty Re: my GTIR 4th March 2015, 7:24 pm

luke s

No that's all good buddy I know what shot shells look like Iv stripped enough engines but never found chunks of metal in a sump like I did just doesn't add up that's all

Again thank you any advice good or bad Is always usefull

32my GTIR - Page 2 Empty Re: my GTIR 5th March 2015, 11:41 am

luke s

Ok just an update on whhere I'm at with it all all big ends checked
Cylinder 1 big end bearing minor copper and no damage to crank
Cylinder 2 bearings fine
Cylinder 3 bearing fine
Cylinder 4 bearings minor copper but crank fine
I'm going to replace all bearings ext and go from there as I have no emidiate damage to crank

I just found out the engine was built by Bob from gtir us too :-)
So I'l call him tomorrow and have a quick chat about the engine

33my GTIR - Page 2 Empty Re: my GTIR 5th March 2015, 8:22 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Good news on the crank

34my GTIR - Page 2 Empty Re: my GTIR 5th March 2015, 8:26 pm

luke s

Yes bud no marks to the crank so I'm very lucky just needs a polish and new bearings then go from there

35my GTIR - Page 2 Empty Re: my GTIR 8th March 2015, 3:47 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

What are your plans for the car?

Everybody needs a bosom for a pillow...

36my GTIR - Page 2 Empty Re: my GTIR 8th March 2015, 3:59 pm

luke s

Get her up and running then-
Wide band
New inner rear arches
Fmic, Bov, New clean can cover and polished parts under bonnet
Mot
Set up on rollers
Lowering springs, New front brake set up
Then at some point maybe a respray

37my GTIR - Page 2 Empty Re: my GTIR 9th March 2015, 11:17 am

sooni

hi,welcome
did you buy the car knowing about them issues or they just appeared after?

38my GTIR - Page 2 Empty Re: my GTIR 9th March 2015, 12:04 pm

luke s

I knew of the knocking not of the turbo but it was no suprise with to find further issues but it's a 24 year old car
Why's that?

39my GTIR - Page 2 Empty Re: my GTIR 9th March 2015, 12:14 pm

sooni

it's just when you buy second hand car its always a 50/50 chances to last,but if you know that the car will need work then is fine,but if you dont expect it to brake 2 days after buying it is a bit of disappointment.

40my GTIR - Page 2 Empty Re: my GTIR 20th March 2015, 10:15 pm

luke s

My gtir lives again replaced cylinder one big end bearings after I cleaned the crank, another turbo and oil pressure is 5bar cold, 2 hot and it's nice and quiet even when revved up to 4k

Just got to mine 2 nuts for the tubing to down pipe seam a odd size

41my GTIR - Page 2 Empty Re: my GTIR 22nd March 2015, 8:23 am

buckym120

buckym120

Glad to hear you've got it all back up and running mate

42my GTIR - Page 2 Empty Re: my GTIR 22nd March 2015, 8:26 am

luke s

Yeap I'm over the moon to say the least, front mount this week to fit then to get a wideband and get someone to weld a nut in the exhaust to fit it then get her taxed and then I'm on the road and check the timeing :-)

Last edited by luke s on 22nd March 2015, 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total

43my GTIR - Page 2 Empty Re: my GTIR 22nd March 2015, 8:49 am

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

Its a great feeling when things go right Smile
Happy for you mate.

44my GTIR - Page 2 Empty Re: my GTIR 22nd March 2015, 11:31 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

I would measure journals & see how they lie in terms of clearance if using acl bearings as they vary greatly & sloppy as hell on heavy polished journals.
I done a few cranks with grind as machinist then can match grind/polish to the acls for very specific clearance rather than juggling your standard size acls about for something almost right .

45my GTIR - Page 2 Empty Re: my GTIR 22nd March 2015, 11:35 am

luke s

There is no noise now idlel then up to 5k, be for there was noise straight away from turbo and bearings , I understand things may change under load in driving conditions I'm looking to use it this summer then get t be engine out for a over winter freshen up and crank check over

46my GTIR - Page 2 Empty Re: my GTIR 25th March 2015, 9:05 pm

luke s

Recived my bc, be coilovers yesterday :-), then my cut bumper tomorrow then fit my front mount, cut bumper and coilovers then ready for the road:-)

47my GTIR - Page 2 Empty Re: my GTIR 10th April 2015, 10:18 pm

luke s

Tonight I took my gtir on the road it drove great, no smoke and no knocking, had probs with a 3ht lead but sorted that, boosting at 1.5 bar but need to sort that but really happy it runs sweet

48my GTIR - Page 2 Empty Re: my GTIR 10th May 2015, 7:07 pm

luke s

Having put 230miles on my car it's running spot on and I love it even had my wife and 3yr old son and 6yr old daughter in there and they live it asking to go in it again :-) really enjoy the car had a blip as it lost the clutch peddle today as it lost fluid but think it's the clutch unit on the box leaking slightly , but holding a solid 1bar boost :-)

49my GTIR - Page 2 Empty Re: my GTIR 10th May 2015, 8:24 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Glad to hear your out enjoying it mate .... its not to many times you see that phrase come up lol ...

50my GTIR - Page 2 Empty Re: my GTIR 10th May 2015, 8:39 pm

luke s

I know these cars are not the most reliable and have there moments but they do bring a smile to out faces ant there there to be drivern and enjoyed

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum