Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

rust on new arch

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1rust on new arch Empty rust on new arch 26th January 2015, 10:52 am

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

so i got my rear arch redone and not had the time to get it painted yet, it has been filled and primered but ive noticed in a few parts that rust is starting to come through again Sad

should i take the grinder to it and get it back to bare metal and put some whatever on it to protect it? welder said it was all undersealed etc but i dont want to touch anything incase it fcks it up for the bodyshop?

http://www.avaloncreative.co.uk

2rust on new arch Empty Re: rust on new arch 26th January 2015, 11:48 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Mmm this sort of thing is why I hate bodywork.
Filler & most primers except epoxy primers & red oxide primers are not a proper sealer from the elements & moisture so if out in elements & with UK winter weather this could cause issues.
issue also could be poor prep & treatment to steal before filler & painting.
Ideally that needs stripping right back to bare metal start again.
worth speaking to welder & bodyshop, was welder linked/recommended by bodyshop !?

Only been done like 5 weeks tops ...

3rust on new arch Empty Re: rust on new arch 26th January 2015, 11:54 am

shroom

shroom

Yeah as Mr B said primers are not proper sealers so water can be obsorbedand then into the fillter and if bare metal underneith it can pass through to that and start the whole process off again from the inside out.

Would be worth having a look and getting it sorted now as you havent had it blown over yet. Shouldnt be too much hastle

4rust on new arch Empty Re: rust on new arch 26th January 2015, 12:58 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Depends on where its coming through sye ..... if its just where exposed metal is then just sand it back and treat it .... if its coming through behind filler etc chat with the bodyshop and express your concerns .... primers and such like are porous ...

5rust on new arch Empty Re: rust on new arch 26th January 2015, 1:04 pm

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

yeah welder was recommeded by bodyshop, ill visit the bodyshop tonight and see what they say

6rust on new arch Empty Re: rust on new arch 26th January 2015, 1:05 pm

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

there is no exposed metal its all been covered over, one part looks like its cracked, dont know if its where the weld is joined i dunno.

was just worried as to if i had it painted would it have started bubbling again a month down the line

7rust on new arch Empty Re: rust on new arch 26th January 2015, 1:27 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Probably best to run it in then mate are you getting somebody else to paint it rather than the bodyshop you used ????

8rust on new arch Empty Re: rust on new arch 26th January 2015, 1:56 pm

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

well i was going to get the bodyshop as they were very fair priced with the welding, and they seem a good company, few cars they had in for painting/resto looked very well done (and not cheap cars either, mustang, audi quattro porsche gt3 etc).

9rust on new arch Empty Re: rust on new arch 26th January 2015, 2:21 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

I would get them bare metal that to see what been done & be sure treated well prior to filler primer & top coat.
I would of used weldable primer on back of panel overlap & before filler would apply epoxy primer then work on top of that as normal .
Quite a few different ideas on what to do & use & i'm no exert on bodywork as absolutely hate touching it :-P

People moan at Nissan as arches rot after 20years but if bodyshop not top effort it won't last 20months ...
Worth getting in writing what guarantee they have too ...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum