Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bill's gear box

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Bill's gear box Empty Bill's gear box 26th October 2014, 11:08 pm

Bones

Bones
the two star club
the two star club

Well we're making a start on bills car tomorrow night. Let's hope all goes well. Going to give just taking the box off a go so once it's off we will be on here for advice as to what's wrong with it and how to fix it folks

2Bill's gear box Empty Re: Bill's gear box 26th October 2014, 11:27 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Good luck darren .... keep us updated hopefully its just a bent fork ...

3Bill's gear box Empty Re: Bill's gear box 28th October 2014, 5:17 pm

Bones

Bones
the two star club
the two star club

Ball joint centre axel point on the fork has bee pushed through. Can't believe they didn't just make the hole in the casing a bit bigger and you could just take it out from the top no hassle. When I change my box I'm guan adapt it to this just incase

4Bill's gear box Empty Re: Bill's gear box 28th October 2014, 6:28 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Thats why uprating the clutch fork helps ... did you do bill an uprated fork mate as remember you have a welder ...

5Bill's gear box Empty Re: Bill's gear box 29th October 2014, 8:04 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Bones wrote:Ball joint centre axel point on the fork has bee pushed through. Can't believe they didn't just make the hole in the casing a bit bigger and you could just take it out from the top no hassle. When I change my box I'm guan adapt it to this just incase
Just weld plate on fork & fit Nismo or quality stronger pivot ball & you will never have a problem.
Doubt nisssan expected people to be modding clutch covers to super heavy duty units & that the cause of arm fatigue & failure.
If bills current clutch a sensible rated pressure plate then it previously had a super heavy one at some point.

6Bill's gear box Empty Re: Bill's gear box 29th October 2014, 8:46 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Is the pivot ball a weak point then ... what happens does it snap or something ????

7Bill's gear box Empty Re: Bill's gear box 29th October 2014, 9:37 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

They wear with age mate i know that so the ball aint so round

8Bill's gear box Empty Re: Bill's gear box 29th October 2014, 9:48 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Oh right i get you now .... i did think along them lines its bound to wear metal against metal ...

9Bill's gear box Empty Re: Bill's gear box 29th October 2014, 9:50 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Probably do snap aswell i suppose aint seen one snapped but with some of the pressure on some clutches i could see it happening

10Bill's gear box Empty Re: Bill's gear box 29th October 2014, 10:55 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Sounds intresting ....

11Bill's gear box Empty Re: Bill's gear box 29th October 2014, 11:05 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

give me a bell leighton tomorrow at some point and il explain what I have in mind
Il delete the other post I've made for obvious reasons

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

12Bill's gear box Empty Re: Bill's gear box 30th October 2014, 8:44 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

nomad wrote:Is the pivot ball a weak point then ... what happens does it snap or something ????
Pivot ball can snap, have had one snapped. Mainly wears flat to one side of ball.
Probably overkill but doesn't hurt if budget allows.
I tend to replace them if using quite heavy clutch covers as at about £20-£30 it seems a good precaution to use a new & stronger spec part plus I don't like doing jobs twice if can help it.
Nismo pivot balls are quite expensive & many fakes are about on usual online sources :-/
Thread below links to good option for you guys in UK >
http://www.gtir-motorsport-club.com/t2972p15-help-help-help-best-place-to-find-clutch-ball-pivot?highlight=clutch

13Bill's gear box Empty Re: Bill's gear box 30th October 2014, 6:39 pm

Bones

Bones
the two star club
the two star club

Well we've got bills broken fork out but to be honest we cheated in the end by enlarging the hole in the bell housing and just taking it out the top. Before you jump on me, to be fair I was prity much doing it on my own on the garage floor and lots of the bolts were either solid or rounded off making everything even harder and Bill has a second box that he's going to have checked over and installed at a later date so no long term damage done. I've got an alloy plate made up to fit back once updated fork comes from bob but why o why didn't they just make it so you could do this as standard? To be honest if mine was to go I seriously think I'd do the same again.

14Bill's gear box Empty Re: Bill's gear box 30th October 2014, 11:08 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

To be honest i dont think overall its a bad idea aslong as the plate is secured done propely i dont see what difference it makes got any pics darren ???

15Bill's gear box Empty Re: Bill's gear box 30th October 2014, 11:14 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

I was speaking to Darren the other day about cutting the hole wider for easy access to change the fork, I suggested it to him as his shoulder is fooked along with bills arm so seemed like the best solution

I've heard of it being done on other cars before with no problems although never seen a gtir with the housing cut but can't see as it would make any difference and a damned site easier to change it in future that's for sure lol

16Bill's gear box Empty Re: Bill's gear box 31st October 2014, 7:47 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Lol those boys should stop wrestling :-)

17Bill's gear box Empty Re: Bill's gear box 31st October 2014, 11:06 am

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

Mr B wrote:Lol those boys should stop wrestling :-)

yeah what a sight Laughing
the boner on top crushing poor old billy ballbags epiglotumus Shocked

18Bill's gear box Empty Re: Bill's gear box 31st October 2014, 4:06 pm

Bones

Bones
the two star club
the two star club

Lol you fookers

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum: