Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Heat wrap

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Heat wrap Empty Heat wrap 9th April 2012, 8:30 pm

k9pulsar

k9pulsar

I've seen sum cars with heat wrap and just woundered does that stuff really make a difference? scratch

2Heat wrap Empty Re: Heat wrap 9th April 2012, 8:50 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Massive difference but dont do what some do there are two types heat wrap for exhausts to keep heat in makes gasses flow faster and stops heat coming out onto other parts and if your wraping intercooler pipes there is a different type it reflects heat away from the cold pipes but in turn stops them warming up. The amount of people i see using 1 type only in my opinion thats the wrong way to go

3Heat wrap Empty Re: Heat wrap 9th April 2012, 8:53 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Yes mate is the answer anything that keeps the engine bay cooler can only be a bonus and help specially in a pulsar with most fmic pipe runs over the manifold so even just lagging that pipe helps

4Heat wrap Empty Re: Heat wrap 9th April 2012, 9:05 pm

k9pulsar

k9pulsar

I get it so there's 2 types of wrap one for stopping the heat escaping and the other type to reflect the heat. Well i'll give that a go once i get my car. Thanks for clearing that up Johnny. Nomad that will be part of the cosmetics for her Laughing

5Heat wrap Empty Re: Heat wrap 9th April 2012, 9:15 pm

k9pulsar

k9pulsar

Another question about cooling, What about oil coolers?

6Heat wrap Empty Re: Heat wrap 9th April 2012, 9:19 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Others may disagree by what they have done and the amount i see just heat wraped but yes two types. Getting Ceramic coating on my new manifold when i get round to fit that

7Heat wrap Empty Re: Heat wrap 9th April 2012, 9:32 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

What you using the car for ? My car has a 16 row oil cooler but i use 5/40 oil on normal and fast road driving is fine. Long story but the 40 grade i use works well at temps of 85 plus upto possibly 120 my after market gauge reads 95 just over so is fine protecting engine if i have really long runs hot days not much air and high speeds the pressure drops as the oil thins.track days quarter miles it gets 10 / 50 as engine temps are higher and the 40 is no good. If your normal driving the odd fast run you wont needone or buy a 13 row. Alot of people use a thermostatic sandwich plate i dont but thats a diff story

8Heat wrap Empty Re: Heat wrap 9th April 2012, 9:39 pm

k9pulsar

k9pulsar

Just normal driving and the few odd fast runs. So i guess i wont need it

9Heat wrap Empty Re: Heat wrap 9th April 2012, 9:47 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Personally no just use the right oil or a 13 row small one if anything. As with all my comments i am one person with 1 opinion always learning but who is not. My advice Spend the money on a decent gauge if in doubt then you can see exactally what your car is doing. Mine are uprated but i want better ones at the end of the day if your flat out it wont stop a majour problem but you could notice it before

10Heat wrap Empty Re: Heat wrap 9th April 2012, 9:52 pm

k9pulsar

k9pulsar

The more you ask the more you learn

11Heat wrap Empty Re: Heat wrap 9th April 2012, 10:07 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

I agree with that im definatly not the most experianced on here either but its a constant learning curve with anything i would imagine usy you probably dont need one but if you find that your pushing the car more and more then its something you could add at a later date its not the most difficult job to do Very Happy

12Heat wrap Empty Re: Heat wrap 9th April 2012, 10:12 pm

k9pulsar

k9pulsar

nomad29 wrote:I agree with that im definatly not the most experianced on here either but its a constant learning curve with anything i would imagine usy you probably dont need one but if you find that your pushing the car more and more then its something you could add at a later date its not the most difficult job to do Very Happy

Nomad thats when your speed dial comes handy Wink

13Heat wrap Empty Re: Heat wrap 9th April 2012, 10:18 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Lol think im going to make it a premium rate number Laughing

14Heat wrap Empty Re: Heat wrap 9th April 2012, 10:24 pm

k9pulsar

k9pulsar

premium rate number! affraid

15Heat wrap Empty Re: Heat wrap 9th April 2012, 10:28 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Lol just joking usy il swap you for jnr .

16Heat wrap Empty Re: Heat wrap 9th April 2012, 10:34 pm

k9pulsar

k9pulsar

Laughing

17Heat wrap Empty Re: Heat wrap 10th April 2012, 5:04 am

skiddusmarkus

skiddusmarkus

I use heat wrap on the exhaust manifold an downpipe and the same stuff on the turbo outlet pipe above the manifold.If it keeps heat in the manifold it will keep heat out of the outlet.You don't have different thermos flasks for hot and cold drinks do you?
I also use a hat reflective blanket on the turbo outlet, not sure how much difference that makes really.

18Heat wrap Empty Re: Heat wrap 10th April 2012, 6:09 am

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Read up on it you do have two sides on tinfoil tho and its the fact one side is shiny and the other is dull depending on which way you put it makes a masive differenceNsb

19Heat wrap Empty Re: Heat wrap 10th April 2012, 6:16 am

skiddusmarkus

skiddusmarkus

Are we on about the same stuff?I am talking about stuff like this, it's not sided:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10m-Roll-EXHAUST-Heat-Wrap-Insulating-Tape-Fitting-Kit-BEST-WRAP-UK-SELLER-/170694770459?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27be337f1b

Then I put an extra blanket over the turbo outlet, like a foil backed cloth.The idea being to provide an extra layer of insulation and maybe reflect heat away from it too.

20Heat wrap Empty Re: Heat wrap 10th April 2012, 6:47 am

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Yes that is what i am saying heat wrap for exhausts keeps as much heat in and hot gasses flow more freely and faster. On intercooler pipes you Can buy a similar wrap which goes on keeps heat out ie reflects it but lets any warm air out.you would think there is not much but all i know is i used to have my intercooler pipes laged with exhaust heat wrap i changed it to this and my intake temps droped a lot as i have a temp probe in the intake. By all means it was no science controlled experiment but in general they droped more than enough for me to say use this over exhaust wrap on ic pipes

21Heat wrap Empty Re: Heat wrap 10th April 2012, 7:28 am

skiddusmarkus

skiddusmarkus

You sure you didn't make any other changes at the same time.Linky link to this stuff then so I can have a read.

22Heat wrap Empty Re: Heat wrap 10th April 2012, 8:02 am

chopper

chopper

I have just got that heat wrap on my intercooler pipe and my 3inch elbow is ceramic coated. In reality i wouldnt know if either makes any difference, I like to think it does but will new know.
I keep thinking about a turbo nappy but never get round to it. always something elese to buy lol.

23Heat wrap Empty Re: Heat wrap 10th April 2012, 8:18 am

skiddusmarkus

skiddusmarkus

I thought about making my own turbo nappy, I have some really thick copper wire(nicked off my dad who uses it for shaping bonsai trees) and a bit of defi turbo blanket wrap left over.Could make a frame for it and then "sew" the wrap in with some stainless metal ties I have.Would probably look shit and fall apart though, who knows.

24Heat wrap Empty Re: Heat wrap 10th April 2012, 4:38 pm

k9pulsar

k9pulsar

No harm in trying i guess Wink

25Heat wrap Empty Re: Heat wrap 10th April 2012, 8:02 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Give it a go as long as it dose the job. I will try and find reciept as it was not cheap rubbish but certainly worked well

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum