Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor

+3
nomad
pulsarmoley
boydy
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor Empty wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor 6th January 2014, 3:12 pm

boydy

boydy

Hi all I desperately need a starter motor for my pulsar. I turn the key and there's just a loud continues clicking from the starter and it dosnt wizz the engine over. So any one that has one that they wud like to sell please get in touch, cheers.

2wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor Empty Re: wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor 6th January 2014, 5:43 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

May seem silly but have you checked your battery?

3wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor Empty Re: wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor 6th January 2014, 5:57 pm

boydy

boydy

Well the thought did cross ma mind but I put a brand new bosh battery on only 2 month ago and the battery light goes out when it was runnin. The negative lead ends are nice and clean but I can't see where they all fasten to the starter as there's so much stuff in the way air intake etc. Ill av to get my bros car with the jump leads to it just to check the battery int buggered.

4wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor Empty Re: wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor 6th January 2014, 6:13 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

New batteries can fail at any point, as you say could also be an earth fault as I replaced my starter once thinking it was that at fault, few weeks later the fault came back, cleaned all the earths and haven't had an issue since.

5wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor Empty Re: wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor 6th January 2014, 7:14 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Also check the positive to the battery make sure its nice and clean as mine went all crap on the connection .... if no joy take the starter motor out .... its not to bad to do .... then use a pair of jump leads from the battery to check it when its on the floor make sure its not just jammed ....

6wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor Empty Re: wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor 6th January 2014, 8:04 pm

boydy

boydy

Thanks for your replies guys that's a great help I will do all those checks tomoz if the bludy weather holds off. The noise its makin does sound like its stuck or sumat. Was working spot on and then turned it off on crimbo eve and it started playin up. Looks like ill av to remove the intake agen to get to it. Only had that off a few month ago as that horrible coolant pipe at the very back of the engine burst the one with the spring in. What a twat of a job that was....!!

7wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor Empty Re: wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor 6th January 2014, 8:09 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

I did mine in situ twice .. its not to hard bolts are on the gearbox side not unless you have the y bracket on wich i doubt as you have already taken the inlet off before .

8wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor Empty Re: wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor 7th January 2014, 1:34 pm

boydy

boydy

I've got the starter off and it looks quite new. I've connected ma battery to it with jump leads am I doin this right? Possitive lead to possitive on the selenoid and the negative to the other one on the selenoid?and then join the two together wiv a screw driver. Starter dunt do owt just sparks abit when the screw driver goes across. Should the negative lead atach to the hosing of the starter instead?

9wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor Empty Re: wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor 7th January 2014, 2:19 pm

boydy

boydy

Right I've sussed it negative lead was in the wrong place while I was testing it. The gear spins fast but it dosnt pop out so it won't be engaging on the flywheel what bit of the starter could be worn then? And will I need a new one or just part of it?

10wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor Empty Re: wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor 7th January 2014, 2:50 pm

Scooby_killer

Scooby_killer

The positive lead should go where you removed the battery cable from the starter motor and the negative lead should attach to the the starter body doing it the way you have above will knacker the solenoid up

11wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor Empty Re: wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor 7th January 2014, 5:32 pm

boydy

boydy

Oh well we live and learn I checked it in the end! Took it to be stripped now at a local starter repair place. Before I tried with jump leads I left the starter loose at the back but not bolted in but with everything connected so I could see the gear spin by turning the ignition and as I did the starter motor moved and I heard abit of a spark it would not work the starter again but the ignition lights were on and everything and I'm sure they were still goin out as I went to start. So that's when I had to fathem out what to do with the leads. Could I have blown a fuse or something that works as u turn the key to work the starter or would there be no ignition lights on if that was the case?

12wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor Empty Re: wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor 7th January 2014, 6:04 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

You might of blown the brown square fuse in the fuse box on inner wing on passenger side by battery.

http://www.j10-meets.co.uk

13wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor Empty Re: wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor 7th January 2014, 6:12 pm

boydy

boydy

Ahh rite ill av to try it then when I get it all bolted back up. Is there another I could replace it with to try it? This is the prob when I'm not totally sure what I'm doin but most of the time we learn as we go along.

14wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor Empty Re: wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor 7th January 2014, 6:25 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

Yeah the green fuse next to it is the same.
The green one is for the electric windows Wink

15wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor Empty Re: wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor 7th January 2014, 6:57 pm

boydy

boydy

Oh right sweet,I should be able to get a replacement from halfords or sumat shouldn't ah?

16wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor Empty Re: wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor 7th January 2014, 9:54 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

Another thing to look out for is if you have caused a short; from the spark in the engine bay, there is a chance you may have popped the diode pack in the alternator so that wont charge the battery now.

17wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor Empty Re: wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor 7th January 2014, 10:04 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Soon tell if thats the case once you have the starter motor back on and running then just chuck a multimeter on the battery while its ticking over ...

18wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor Empty Re: wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor 7th January 2014, 10:24 pm

boydy

boydy

Well thinking about it the starter wasn't bolted to anything so it wasn't earthed by the negative so it wouldn't of done any thing. The back of it may of been touching sumat metal at 1st and that's why it sparked and then when It moved it then wasn't touching anything so had no negative that's why nothing happened after that while flicking the key. Ill only rearly know wen I get the bludy thing bolted up. Lol

19wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor Empty Re: wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor 7th January 2014, 10:38 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Did you have much trouble getting it out ?

20wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor Empty Re: wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor 7th January 2014, 11:12 pm

boydy

boydy

Well I weighted up takin it out with the intake on but I just couldn't get my hands in or see ewt so I just thought bugger it and whipped the intake off. Come off rearly easy as I know what I'm doin with it as ide only done the water pipe a few month ago. Just them bludy fiddly water pipes at the back and them plugs. I'm exited to get it back together now. I'm also in the middle of fitting a fmic while its not running so I'm exited to see how she pulls.

21wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor Empty Re: wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor 7th January 2014, 11:37 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

I doubt it, they arnt the usual fuses.

22wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor Empty Re: wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor 8th January 2014, 12:11 am

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

There is plenty on ebay for 99p  Wink 

23wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor Empty Re: wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor 8th January 2014, 2:04 pm

boydy

boydy

Oh sweet well ill av to see wot happens when I go to start it.Just had the starter rebuilt. The shaft that the selenoid pushes to push the gear out had snapped that's why it still spun but didn't pop out. £50 happy days!

24wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor Empty Re: wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor 10th January 2014, 10:13 pm

boydy

boydy

Well got the starter on the car today and was dreadin flickin the key incase ide shorted sumat out. Well I dint believe it she fired up flick of the key with out a rism of smoke and she's been stood out side in the weather for 17 days. Took her up the road and goes like a dream so I'm a happy chappy for the moment Lol!!

25wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor Empty Re: wanted pulsar gti-r starter motor 10th January 2014, 10:21 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Glad to hear mate .... cherish the moment ... until it kick you in the balls  Wink 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum