Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is this standard?

+4
watoga
nomad
ROB_IOW
Rot box revival!
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Is this standard?  Empty Is this standard? 2nd January 2014, 2:41 pm

Rot box revival!

Found an ecu in one of my cupboards next tae my blow up doll! Saw the seal was broken so opened it and found this. Is this standard. Cheers in advance

https://s880.photobucket.com/user/Davyboy120/media/image_zps480a4379.jpg.html

2Is this standard?  Empty Re: Is this standard? 2nd January 2014, 4:39 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Don't think so! but could be wrong

3Is this standard?  Empty Re: Is this standard? 2nd January 2014, 4:56 pm

Rot box revival!

I've done a google search on the part number on the board and it came up with a Japanese mob called GTWorks. Anyone ever heard of this mob?

4Is this standard?  Empty Re: Is this standard? 2nd January 2014, 6:23 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Looks like a daughter board to me .... never heard of gt works though .... have you googled it ?

5Is this standard?  Empty Re: Is this standard? 2nd January 2014, 6:26 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

http://www.gtworks.ico.bz/index.html

6Is this standard?  Empty Re: Is this standard? 2nd January 2014, 6:27 pm

Rot box revival!

Sorry if it sounds like a daft question but wot is a daughter board? Hhaha

Aye, a googled them and there site is in Japanese! When i convert it I cant really make sense of it! Mibe because i dont really know what i'm lookin at! Hahahaha

7Is this standard?  Empty Re: Is this standard? 2nd January 2014, 6:43 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Im sure its more technical to it but from pc terms the main board is called a motherboard ....a daughter board is just an add on wich allows the mounting of extra chipset .... like i said im sure its more technical than that but thats my grasp of it lol

8Is this standard?  Empty Re: Is this standard? 2nd January 2014, 6:58 pm

Rot box revival!

Haha Cheers Nomad! Better than the grasp i had!

Nuts and bolts has been my thing up until now but i would really like to understand all this invisible electronic magic and how it all works, or doesn't!

9Is this standard?  Empty Re: Is this standard? 2nd January 2014, 7:17 pm

Rot box revival!

If i was to plug this in, how would i figure out what boost to be running? Would this have to be done on the rollers or could i do it using the wideband on the road and watching the AFR? Shout at me and call me names if am bein a dumbass here!

10Is this standard?  Empty Re: Is this standard? 2nd January 2014, 8:27 pm

watoga

watoga
ecu technician
ecu technician

Rot box revival! wrote:If i was to plug this in, how would i figure out what boost to be running? Would this have to be done on the rollers or could i do it using the wideband on the road and watching the AFR? Shout at me and call me names if am bein a dumbass here!

The problem is that ECUs aren't just set up for boost levels, they are also programmed for certain injectors and air-flow meters. *IF* your ECU was programmed for standard injectors (440cc) and a standard MAF, then you could log your A/F ratios to give a basic indication of the boost level is was designed to run at (i.e. increasing the boost slowly until A/F ratios of around 11-12 are reached on-boost at WOT). Ideally you'd also want to log what ECU load cells are accessed as this is a good indication of how much the maps have been modified. This can be done with a variety of diagnostic software.

Alternatively, if you know a local tuner then you could maybe ask them nicely to plug your ECU into their software and try and access the on-board maps to reveal exactly what has been programmed into the daughterboard. Things such as the k-constant will provide information on the injector/MAF setup, while the load tables will allow you to more closely see how the fuel/timing maps have been modified for higher boost levels.

Hope this helps,
Dave

http://star.pst.qub.ac.uk/~dbj

11Is this standard?  Empty Re: Is this standard? 3rd January 2014, 10:41 am

Rot box revival!

Thanks very much fur that Dave. Starting to make some sense now!

I think rather than takin it to someone i would rather have a go myself. So my next question is what software and hardware do i need to get this information out of the wee box?!

12Is this standard?  Empty Re: Is this standard? 5th January 2014, 12:05 am

Rot box revival!

Dave, have i got this right?

These two EPROM chips, which are the UV type i think, support four maps which in this case have been programmed to run in a scumbaroo legacy, s13, z32 and a rnn14. So to choose which map you want you would bridge the correct switches on the daughterboard. However, the switches are soldered on my daughterboard. The EPROM's are also soldered onto the daughterboard so reprogramming would be a nightmare! This sounds like a budget job to me especially since it caters for a scooby etc. i would still like to find out if its worth keepin and tryin out. Just a bit worried incase she melts down cos of this wee box!

13Is this standard?  Empty Re: Is this standard? 8th January 2014, 5:51 pm

watoga

watoga
ecu technician
ecu technician

Rot box revival! wrote:I think rather than takin it to someone i would rather have a go myself. So my next question is what software and hardware do i need to get this information out of the wee box?!

Sorry for my delay, but I put up a comment in your "Software???" thread regarding the consult cable. NIStune is great, and an individual licence isn't too expensive if you do decide to go down the route of self-tuning (or even just monitoring/logging).

Cheers,
Dave

14Is this standard?  Empty Re: Is this standard? 8th January 2014, 11:07 pm

Rot box revival!

Thanks Dave, quite like the idea of this e-prom carry on. Can you still buy daughter boards with the switches attached to select the different maps loaded onto the E-proms?

Congrats on your new arrival man.

15Is this standard?  Empty Re: Is this standard? 10th January 2014, 7:03 am

watoga

watoga
ecu technician
ecu technician

Rot box revival! wrote:Thanks Dave, quite like the idea of this e-prom carry on. Can you still buy daughter boards with the switches attached to select the different maps loaded onto the E-proms?

Congrats on your new arrival man.

Cheers  Very Happy  To be honest, I haven't really seen too many chipsets with multi-map capabilities as standard. Obviously some higher-end standalone ECUs (e.g. SYVECS) offer multi-map functionality, but in terms of a plug-and-play OE upgrade they definitely are not common. Because the OE ECUs have 2 different fuel/timing maps on them as standard (one for good running conditions and the other as a 'knock' map to prevent detonation) I have heard about other people modifying the 'knock' map and having it as another 'tuned' map. This would allow 2 different tuned maps on the same ECU, but of course removes the safety net features of the 'knock' maps.

Thanks,
Dave

16Is this standard?  Empty Re: Is this standard? 10th January 2014, 3:15 pm

Rot box revival!

The way i understood it was that these two eprom chips that are plugd or solderd into the daughterboard had the capability of switchin between four maps. The table painted on the right of the daughter board in the picture would suggest that this board has four maps printed on the e-proms. There is no switches on the board but there is solderable links. I think these chips were massed produced and when the customer specified it was for a subaru legacy, sr20 or one of the other two, then the distributer soldered the appropriate links. What i would like to do is remove these links and solder in some switches to have outside the ECU so that i couls switch between four maps.

Im sure there was a guy on here said he had one of these. Wonder if Bob still has that switcher mabob thing he was selling?

17Is this standard?  Empty Re: Is this standard? 3rd February 2014, 5:23 am

SIR GTI-R

SIR GTI-R

PLMS do a switchable daughter board
this is fitted to mine
Is this standard?  Modded%20ecu
this pic shows you the actual Eproms the other lads were talking about
when the i take it to the tuner he simply removes the (Daughter board) square board and adjusts the tune and replaces it

18Is this standard?  Empty Re: Is this standard? 9th February 2014, 10:12 am

Rot box revival!

Thats the chap!!! This is exactly what i'm after. Did you buy this????

19Is this standard?  Empty Re: Is this standard? 9th February 2014, 7:29 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

yep ive still got the switchable map daughterboard

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

20Is this standard?  Empty Re: Is this standard? 10th February 2014, 1:29 am

danr

danr

4 maps switch used to be on plms boards, http://www.plmsdevelopments.com/daughterboards.shtml

you can make a switch, think it says how..

and if you proper geeky http://www.ecutalk.com/consultlcd.aspx

Last edited by danr on 10th February 2014, 1:38 am; edited 1 time in total

21Is this standard?  Empty Re: Is this standard? 10th February 2014, 1:33 am

danr

danr

thats the one.
though he doesnt need to remove board.
you can map your car with nistune ecu, then flash your eproms with nistune map..

SIR GTI-R wrote:PLMS do a switchable daughter board
this is fitted to mine
Is this standard?  Modded%20ecu
this pic shows you the actual Eproms the other lads were talking about
when the i take it to the tuner he simply removes the (Daughter board) square board and adjusts the tune and replaces it

22Is this standard?  Empty Re: Is this standard? 10th February 2014, 7:36 am

Rot box revival!

Aparantly you can live map these chaps aswell by using an emulator!!! Have no idea what an emulator is but i think i might be educating my self on this stuff when i get home!!!!! Having the ability to switch from daily economy driver to balls out " Embarass a rich kid " mode is the way forward, for me anyway!! Then another two maps for valeters, mechanics and of course the wife!!! hahaha

23Is this standard?  Empty Re: Is this standard? 12th February 2014, 6:59 am

watoga

watoga
ecu technician
ecu technician

Rot box revival! wrote:Aparantly you can live map these chaps aswell by using an emulator!!! Have no idea what an emulator is but i think i might be educating my self on this stuff when i get home!!!!!

An emulator is basically just another box you can buy which allows you to burn new data into the chips without first having to remove it from the ECU. A popular emulator manufacturer is Moates, and their emulators can be found here:

http://www.moates.net/realtime-emulation-c-95.html

There are loads of other manufacturers, but I've heard good reports about Moates if you choose to go down that route.

Cheers,
Dave

24Is this standard?  Empty Re: Is this standard? 14th February 2014, 10:34 am

Rot box revival!

Cheers Dave

I've been trying to read up about some hardware before i jump out and buy crap and Moates seems to be the stuff that most tuners and diy dafties like me use!

Have you had anything to do with or heard anything about tunerpro software Dave?

25Is this standard?  Empty Re: Is this standard? 4th March 2014, 10:09 am

weblizzer

if you want to read the mapping from your ecu. You can use Nissan Data Scan you can purchase the software this is a good data logging and it also has capability to map trace for gtir ecu. I've use it with my ecu too since it has a different map over stock. If you want a realtime ecu either Nistune or Nismotronic is your way to go.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum