Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

track rod ends

+5
GTI-R US
johnny gtir
Stu
BEBB GTIR
nomad
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1track rod ends  Empty track rod ends 31st March 2012, 3:02 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

ok so here goes today i decided to do my track rod ends as have a pile of parts now so thought id do a little how to for those who have never done this job its quite an easy task but for those who havnt done it and would like to have a go themselves                                                                                   first you will  need to take the wheel off so just crack the wheel nuts of slightly and jack the car up and take the wheel off you.                                                                                            track rod ends  2012-03-31122902 this is what you should see if not your on the wrong car lol                                                                                         right so now comes the track rod end time with a spanner undo the big nut at the back of the track rod end i always back this nut off by a turn or half a turn like so               track rod ends  2012-03-31122921                                                                                            next step is to remove the split pin from the castle nut these can be a pain if they have been in there a few years like mine was track rod ends  2012-03-31123033             once you have the split pin out take a socket or spanner and remove the castle nuttrack rod ends  2012-03-31123232 so now the castle nut is off you will need to get the actual track rod out off the hub carrier you can either use a splitter or my choosen method was a club hammer as i dont care about the thread as its being replaced so hit upwards until it pops out it might take a couple of hits you should now have thistrack rod ends  2012-03-31123505 next step is to unwind the track rod off the rack use a spanner to hold the rack arm while you spin the track rod off like sotrack rod ends  2012-03-31123531 here is a pic of old and newtrack rod ends  2012-03-31123745 next step is to wind on the new track rod end still use the spanner to hold the rack arm as you wind it on track rod ends  2012-03-31123849note how far i have wound the track rod on leaving the turn of how much i backed the big nut off in earlier steps.                                                                                                                                                                                 next step put track rod end into hub carrier push it in the whole and wind the castle nut up until tight and holes lined up for the split pin i use a spanner rather than socket so i can see when its aligned.track rod ends  2012-03-31124011                                                                                   final step is to lock the big nut off by the turn  use one spanner to hold the rack arm and another spanner to lock the nut off like so track rod ends  2012-03-31130039once this is done put your wheel back on let the car jack down final tighten on the wheel nuts stand back an give youself a pat on the back and throw away your track rod end virgin badge.

2track rod ends  Empty Re: track rod ends 31st March 2012, 4:39 pm

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

good tutorial Very Happy

3track rod ends  Empty Re: track rod ends 31st March 2012, 5:03 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

Very good Wink

How old is that rusty spanner? Laughing

http://www.j10-meets.co.uk

4track rod ends  Empty Re: track rod ends 31st March 2012, 5:54 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Thanks Very Happy . erm its not as old as me but i can tell your impressed stu i thought it was quite in keeping with me rusty old pulsar lol

5track rod ends  Empty Re: track rod ends 31st March 2012, 6:08 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Really good how to well done. Just a suggestion i know as will 90% reading this its common sense but you should mention refitting a/the split pin i know you have mentioned lining it back up but some track rod ends dont come with a new one and i have seen alot of people forget to fit a new or refit the original pin. Maybe add putting wd 40 on to help move nuts and copper grease to threads when refitting.

6track rod ends  Empty Re: track rod ends 31st March 2012, 6:44 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Lol notrd johnny il put it in tomorrow as tonight im out on the razz tongue

7track rod ends  Empty Re: track rod ends 31st March 2012, 6:49 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

No prob its like anything if you know how it sounds stupid to mention it. As mentioned well done for taking the time to do the how to Very Happy

8track rod ends  Empty Re: track rod ends 31st March 2012, 6:56 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

great write up, well done and very handy to those who have not done the job cheers

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

9track rod ends  Empty Re: track rod ends 31st March 2012, 7:05 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

Good write up, i would just add it might be worth getting the tracking checked afterwards just to be sure, well i did anyway Cool

10track rod ends  Empty Re: track rod ends 31st March 2012, 7:24 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Wel thank you all for the comments . its hard work doing a how to lol next one will be cv joint renewal along side cv boot might try to do that tomoz if im not hungover lmao

11track rod ends  Empty Re: track rod ends 4th April 2012, 8:34 am

Chris1

Chris1

Really enjoyed reading that fella, nice one.

For someone that is willing to 'have a go', its great to have these thorough 'how to' guides.

Keep 'em coming. Smile

12track rod ends  Empty Re: track rod ends 27th April 2013, 7:52 pm

Should make this a sticky, nicely written with pics as well

13track rod ends  Empty Re: track rod ends 27th April 2013, 9:05 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Thanks dan i will try to do a few more of these how to's as it give members a little insight on how easy it can be to do things they pay for at a garage ... its not easy taking pics as you go along i normaly get my son to snap away as i do the job in hand .

14track rod ends  Empty Re: track rod ends 28th April 2013, 9:11 am

watoga

watoga
ecu technician
ecu technician

Nicely written and the pictures truly speak a thousand words.

nomad29 wrote:next one will be cv joint renewal along side cv boot

Yes please! It's next on my list too so would like a helpful guide to assist Very Happy

Cheers,
Dave

http://star.pst.qub.ac.uk/~dbj

15track rod ends  Empty Re: track rod ends 28th April 2013, 6:35 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Already done mate in same section Wink

16track rod ends  Empty Re: track rod ends 15th July 2013, 12:30 pm

jaypjay

jaypjay

your a ledge Nomad. Was looking into doing these over the w.e

With my limited mechanical knowledge any good help is much appreciated =)

17track rod ends  Empty Re: track rod ends 15th July 2013, 2:06 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

No problem jay next how to will be ...... intank fuel sender unit seeing as i havnt seen a how to on it anywhere .....

18track rod ends  Empty Re: track rod ends 15th November 2013, 1:56 am

jaypjay

jaypjay

Nomad. Where did u get these rod ends ?

There are soo many on the net Im skeptical of their quality.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum