Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

DIY Gearbox brace how to make

+7
shroom
Mr B
gtir_woody
PartyPete
Greygtir
ROB_IOW
GTI-R US
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1DIY Gearbox brace how to make Empty DIY Gearbox brace how to make 15th September 2013, 7:55 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

saved this as a sticky for anyone interested in making their own one

yes basically it was 00sid that made the first brace for the box which worked to an extent but did have flaws in its design.
kieron aka yellow weapon came up with a great idea of making a figure of 8 brace between the input and lay shaft to stop them pulling apart which would have been great on a drag car but not so clever on road car as you would have to lose 5th gear and it still never stopped the shaft punching through the bellhousing end.

my idea was much much simpler and would have worked around 5 years back now.
heres the idea as im not gonna bother producing these now but I carried out a lot of tests with a press and gearbox endcases we had in stock and it makes the endcase 5-6 times stronger fact!

all you need to do the job is some engineering swarf, fibreglass matting and some resin/hardener.
I made a mould for these but think I lost it when we moved to our bigger unit but you don't really need a mould if its just for your own box.
basically what youll need to do is coat the entire end of the box in resin about 4'' down from the end (this is the weak point) but before you coat it youll need to cover it in talcum powder, flour or grease so the resin does not actually stick to the box as such.
give it around 3 heavy coats then app[y fg matting then another coat of resin then add some swarf into the resin mix.
you need to build it up so its around 10mm thick all round and so all the voids right at the back of the end casing are completely filled with resin/matting.swarf.
once you've done this you should be able to tap the whole thing off the endcase, but it will be tight as its a glovelike fit.
once you have done that you will notice that there are 2 unused threaded bolt holes right at the end of the casing so you need to drill 2 holes through the fibreglass glove in order to fit 2 bolts make a 5mm steel or aluminium plate then attach the glove over the endcase then bolt the holder plate on top
that's it job done!

although the casings break from the inside out it will help hugely in strengthening the case.
simple way of looking at it is by this..............imagine you have a sheet of glass say 18''sq and lets say 3mm thick, now if that was in a frame you could punch this with your fist and smash it easily, but now put a 10mm sheet of fibreglass, swarf, resin directly behindf the sheet so its butted up tight then try break the sheet of glass with your fist........youll break your hand before you break the glass, so that was the theory and it does work.

however none of the above will stop the gearset punching through the bellhousing where the bearing is and tbh I don't know how you could remedy that not without designing a whole new thicker billet housing which is the reason I did not go ahead with mass producing the ready made fg endcase supports.

but as said earlier the volume that do actually break through punching bearing through bellhousing are few and far between anyway and even if it does happen at least your gearkit isn't sprawled all over the track in a thousand pieces lol

Last edited by GTI-R US on 15th September 2013, 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

2DIY Gearbox brace how to make Empty Re: DIY Gearbox brace how to make 15th September 2013, 8:41 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

you got any pics of a box bob ? so you can show upto what point to do this? etc
Might do this over the winter

3DIY Gearbox brace how to make Empty Re: DIY Gearbox brace how to make 15th September 2013, 8:44 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

yep il mark it on an endcase
I may even have one of the first ones I ever made still so if so il take a pic of it for yous

4DIY Gearbox brace how to make Empty Re: DIY Gearbox brace how to make 15th September 2013, 8:47 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Cheers pal . it sounds like a bloody good cheap alternative

5DIY Gearbox brace how to make Empty Re: DIY Gearbox brace how to make 21st September 2013, 7:17 pm

Greygtir

What speed do you top out at in 4th

6DIY Gearbox brace how to make Empty Re: DIY Gearbox brace how to make 21st September 2013, 8:15 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

eh! you've lost me : /

7DIY Gearbox brace how to make Empty Re: DIY Gearbox brace how to make 21st September 2013, 8:23 pm

Greygtir

Uou mentioned keirons idea made you loose 4th. Just wonderd what it speed it tops out in 4th

8DIY Gearbox brace how to make Empty Re: DIY Gearbox brace how to make 21st September 2013, 8:30 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

yeah you mean lose 5th to do the figure 8 gear brace
as a guestimate I would say you could probably hit 130ish mph in 4th

9DIY Gearbox brace how to make Empty Re: DIY Gearbox brace how to make 18th January 2015, 7:52 pm

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

Did you ever find one of these molds bob? Any chance you could put some pics up or mark on a box where to mold up to?

10DIY Gearbox brace how to make Empty Re: DIY Gearbox brace how to make 18th January 2015, 8:38 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

I'd be keen to see aswell. I have one of the other GB braces at home I need to put on. Know they are a controversial topic but figured it wouldn't hurt Smile

11DIY Gearbox brace how to make Empty Re: DIY Gearbox brace how to make 18th January 2015, 8:39 pm

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

Is that the stracher Motorsport brace woody?

12DIY Gearbox brace how to make Empty Re: DIY Gearbox brace how to make 18th January 2015, 8:41 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Yup that's the one Pete

13DIY Gearbox brace how to make Empty Re: DIY Gearbox brace how to make 18th January 2015, 8:49 pm

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

Yes from what I hear they will do the same as what the fibreglass will do but for about £300 more.... I was thinking about buying one, but if I can save £300 what's the point, I can spend it on something else, but we shall have to see, Iv heard nothing but good reports about the stracher braces

14DIY Gearbox brace how to make Empty Re: DIY Gearbox brace how to make 18th January 2015, 9:29 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Yeah exactly, the braces are expensive, if the cheaper option is same/ better be silly not to go with it. I might throw some detailed pics up when I put the brace on.

15DIY Gearbox brace how to make Empty Re: DIY Gearbox brace how to make 18th January 2015, 9:35 pm

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

Please do, you doing it yourself I take it?

16DIY Gearbox brace how to make Empty Re: DIY Gearbox brace how to make 18th January 2015, 9:50 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Yup, shouldn't be too hard I think. Just got to work out how all pieces fit together. I say this now though Laughing

17DIY Gearbox brace how to make Empty Re: DIY Gearbox brace how to make 18th January 2015, 10:11 pm

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

Pretty sure you have to drill into the gearbox in a few different places don't you? Wouldn't want to get that wrong Shocked

18DIY Gearbox brace how to make Empty Re: DIY Gearbox brace how to make 18th January 2015, 10:18 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Really? What a Face I didn't know that, I'll soon find out Laughing

19DIY Gearbox brace how to make Empty Re: DIY Gearbox brace how to make 19th January 2015, 4:28 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

No big issue with fitting, first batch needed gearbox mount shaved a bit to clear brace.
DIY Gearbox brace how to make Strbracediag
DIY Gearbox brace how to make Strbrace

20DIY Gearbox brace how to make Empty Re: DIY Gearbox brace how to make 19th January 2015, 6:40 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

some brace history, most of these go back to around 2008, many ideas had already been tried on likes of sentra.
Main thing is keeping suitable clearance to chassis rail for easy maintenance.
DIY Gearbox brace how to make Canada_brace
DIY Gearbox brace how to make Nz_brace
DIY Gearbox brace how to make Russian_swarf_resin

21DIY Gearbox brace how to make Empty Re: DIY Gearbox brace how to make 19th January 2015, 6:54 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Is the third pic kinda what bob is talking about? What ever happened to someone that was in progress of designing a brace that replaced 5th gear?

22DIY Gearbox brace how to make Empty Re: DIY Gearbox brace how to make 19th January 2015, 7:08 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Not really same as bob discussed.
That idea is wrapping fibre glass mat & resin around the box nose end & building up the voids with metal swarf along with resin & matting.
Then the end can have a steel or alloy face plate covering the filled void area using 2 spare thread holes on casing or even using long stud ideas like above.
Had a resin strengthened one running par gears & never missed a drag session & if done well would certainly be strong enough.

23DIY Gearbox brace how to make Empty Re: DIY Gearbox brace how to make 19th January 2015, 7:40 am

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

So is the top picture the design which looses 5th gear?

24DIY Gearbox brace how to make Empty Re: DIY Gearbox brace how to make 19th January 2015, 7:50 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Nope the brace that loses 5th gear is installed inside the gearbox

25DIY Gearbox brace how to make Empty Re: DIY Gearbox brace how to make 19th January 2015, 8:10 am

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

I did wonder how something fitted on the outside would affect the gears, but never seen it so didn't know!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum