Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

new engine run in procedure

+6
pulsarmoley
watoga
fred05
nomad
jaypjay
GTI-R US
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26new engine run in procedure - Page 2 Empty Re: new engine run in procedure 18th February 2016, 8:25 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Ill be collecting my ported head from Mike tomorrow and i reckon ill rapidly have the rebuild complete by next month.

I,ve heard horror stories about poorly mapped rebuilt engines failing and now im getting a bit worried that i might damage mine when i fire it up and so i'm reluctent to do it.

You see i have no history of the ECU and whats been done to it, all i know its a stock one.

Can anyone tell me if im safe enough just firing it up, doing the timing and giving it 2000rpm for 20 mins to bed in the 2nd hand cams?

Or is this too risky? If so, what's my options?
Smile

27new engine run in procedure - Page 2 Empty Re: new engine run in procedure 18th February 2016, 8:27 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

+1 on that question but I'll be running in brand new cams... Or I'll rephrase that, how would one run new cams in on freshly rebuild engine...

Last edited by Gostek on 18th February 2016, 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

28new engine run in procedure - Page 2 Empty Re: new engine run in procedure 18th February 2016, 8:38 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

if you are concerned then swap it for a standard ecu ....i have one if you get stuck ...

29new engine run in procedure - Page 2 Empty Re: new engine run in procedure 18th February 2016, 8:40 pm

shroom

shroom

Well if your ECU has not had a chip put into it or daughter board etc then it will be stock so it wont cause you any issues there. But as you know its not just that simple and there are other factors such as sensors and a whole host of other bits which if not running right could alter the running of the car.

I guess one issue is overfueling and bore washing on a new engine and making sure you bed the cam in correctly.

In order to check its "running" as it should it would need to be turned on anyway and the afr's checked at the very least so you could buy a wideband lambda sensor such as an AEM or Innovate and get that plummed in. they are about £150 quid and you will be able to read you AFR etc. Or get it trailored to someone like Bob and get him to do it for you.

Or just go for it, pray to the engine gods and fire it up and give it some revs you will soon know if everything is ok Laughing

'Shit' think I need to sell my Sunny!

But woman cant replace a sheep
Oh I wish that for the peace!
But I really cant find my honey
The only one I would give my money
Is one with a great big fleece
And then I would be at peace...

30new engine run in procedure - Page 2 Empty Re: new engine run in procedure 18th February 2016, 8:41 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Leighton He says it is stock mate I think he is worried the stock might not like the cams and port

My mistake he says both he don't know history but it's stock

31new engine run in procedure - Page 2 Empty Re: new engine run in procedure 18th February 2016, 9:37 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Sorry my mistake i didnt read the post properly ... only way to find out wether its been played with is to pop the top off and see wether its been chipped or has a daughter board ....

32new engine run in procedure - Page 2 Empty Re: new engine run in procedure 18th February 2016, 9:41 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Thanks for the responses chaps, just to clarify its a stock ECU but i cant be sure it hasn't been dicked about with.

I was considering trailing it to Bobs and asking him to fire it up as he has all the professional diagnostic kit. All ive got is a timing gun. Rolling Eyes

Is the bottomline that if its not running right then it'll be patently obvious?
Very Happy

33new engine run in procedure - Page 2 Empty Re: new engine run in procedure 18th February 2016, 9:44 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

nomad wrote:Sorry my mistake i didnt read the  post properly ... only way to find out wether its been played with is to pop the top off and see wether its been chipped or has a daughter board ....

Oh, i didnt realise that. I thought they were simply reprogrammed, ill take a look tonight.
Cheers
Very Happy

34new engine run in procedure - Page 2 Empty Re: new engine run in procedure 18th February 2016, 9:48 pm

shroom

shroom

Na stock ecu cant be re programed only way it would be a different map is a daughter board i.e nistune or older stuff.

If you open it up and taje a pic anyone will be able to tell u if its got anything in it :-) if your in doubt i would get Bob to check it as its a lot of money to potentially loose!

35new engine run in procedure - Page 2 Empty Re: new engine run in procedure 18th February 2016, 9:49 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

I don't think you can re-flash pulsars ecu (I might be wrong...)

36new engine run in procedure - Page 2 Empty Re: new engine run in procedure 18th February 2016, 9:50 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

Bring it tomorrow with you we'll hack it open yoursofunny

37new engine run in procedure - Page 2 Empty Re: new engine run in procedure 18th February 2016, 10:34 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

43 years old and im contorted with my head up a footwell and my arse straddling the shift lever! Shocked Shocked

Anyway i accessed the ECU,
No surprse that the connector wires have been cut and leccy taped back together Evil or Very Mad
new engine run in procedure - Page 2 Image_zpsaws6y0eg

new engine run in procedure - Page 2 Image_zpsjwslytsa

new engine run in procedure - Page 2 Image_zpse1o0mbq2

new engine run in procedure - Page 2 Image_zpsayvhtri5

So is this a std ECU?  anyone?

38new engine run in procedure - Page 2 Empty Re: new engine run in procedure 18th February 2016, 10:47 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Wrong Ecu that's the abs ecu

39new engine run in procedure - Page 2 Empty Re: new engine run in procedure 18th February 2016, 10:48 pm

shroom

shroom

No thats your abs ecu lol

Your ecu is vehind the centre console sort of in line with the cup holders or cd player. You need to take the plastic side off then you will see the ecu at the back in its mount

40new engine run in procedure - Page 2 Empty Re: new engine run in procedure 18th February 2016, 10:48 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Passenger footwell but not on the left its on the right low level behind center consol

41new engine run in procedure - Page 2 Empty Re: new engine run in procedure 18th February 2016, 10:48 pm

shroom

shroom

johnny gtir wrote:Wrong Ecu that's the abs ecu

Ah the geordie beat me too it!

42new engine run in procedure - Page 2 Empty Re: new engine run in procedure 18th February 2016, 10:50 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

But for the record that abs Ecu is probably standard lol

43new engine run in procedure - Page 2 Empty Re: new engine run in procedure 18th February 2016, 10:53 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Your right as far as i remember they cant be .....

44new engine run in procedure - Page 2 Empty Re: new engine run in procedure 18th February 2016, 10:55 pm

shroom

shroom

Cosmic73 wrote:43 years old and im contorted with my head up a footwell and my arse straddling the shift lever! Shocked Shocked

Any pictures of that? drool

45new engine run in procedure - Page 2 Empty Re: new engine run in procedure 18th February 2016, 10:56 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Sick man

46new engine run in procedure - Page 2 Empty Re: new engine run in procedure 19th February 2016, 1:24 am

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

Think your panicking over nothing
Yes there's being careful but not to the point of having a pooh fit over start up Laughing

Anyway for people's benefit I've gone more in depth with some of the run in procedure

First off you need to check you have no open vacuum pipes and that all electrical connections are good and secure if your not sure where vacuum pipes go from the rear of plenum etc then just blank them with a screw or bolt so they don't drawi in air.

Secondly turn the engine over with no plugs in and with injector resistor pack disconnected so fuel does not get pumped into cylinders. Turn engine over as you normally would during start up but for say 2 bursts of 20secs by then the oil pressure will be up and all moving parts lubricated.

Once you have done that it's then time to fit the spark plugs and reconnect the resistor multi plug.
Now your ready to fire her up:face:

Important bit now.........New cams or not, Do not Rev engine to 2.5k from the very off, just start it and keep it idling for a minute or so not forgetting p/s pump bleeding (go lock to lock 2-3 times if you forget this you could run pump dry and damage it).
Closely monitor for any oil/water leaks if alls ok then pick the revs up to around 2.5k then around 3k to run/bed cams assuming you have new ones fitted. 
It's a good idea when doing this to have an observer watching underside of the car and engine bay just to make sure you have no nasty knocks or have sprung a leak.

After around 5 mins of running them in shut the engine off and let it cool, you'll then need to remove rad cap and leave it off for around 15 mins whilst you have a cuppa admiring your hard work and hopefully good fortune so far Very Happy
Then very slowly fill the rad, just let the water trickle in so you don't put air pockets into the system (also helps whilst doing this gently squeezing the bottom hose) once rad is full start the car again but leave the rad cap loose or off as this will let any air pockets escape as soon as they get pumped round the system (the air will automatically go towards the opening) if the temps get up a bit and it starts to bubble out the top don't put the cap on just turn car off and leave it for a couple mins, slowly refill and start car again.

Once your reasonably happy that most of the air is out the fans should be cutting in by then you can then replace rad cap and take car on a gentle run  (ideally close by) just a mile from r two then back on the driveway shut it off and check for leaks etc, if alls good leave car for an hour or so to cool right down then come back and check coolant level again in rad as it will more than likely be low so top up if necessary.

Few things to note Wink

1.Set distributor so the bolt is roughly in the middle of the adjustment slot initially, that will be fine until you time her properly.
2.Expect smoke on start up and for probably the first 5 miles of driving as oil takes a while to burn off anything you have touched so don't panic it's normal 
3. On initial drive keep an ear out for strange noises and keep an eye on all the gauges
4. Remember you have built the engine but many other components are likely to have been replaced too so make sure all things such as transmission, clutch, driveshafts, suspension, wheels and so forth are all torqued up and that there are no knocks from anything...........So easy to forget these bits when your mind is focused on your engine, But engine is no use with a mangled car body around it because wheel or something has come adrift so double check everything.

As said previously.........remove top off ecu to make sure it's all standard and not mapped or generically chipped.
When setting ignition base timing during run in set it to 18 degrees not 20 this will give you a safety margin
Drop oil and filter after 40-50 miles and check drained oil for any unusual fragments (good idea to have a magnetic drain bolt) to catch small metal particles during bedding in process, also smell the oil to make sure it does not reek of fuel (that's a big killer on new engines whilst cutting in) you would have no doubt have noticed black smoke from exhaust more than likely prior to this though.

Don't get tempted to race people whilst your running it in..........Sod's law that every booger wants to race you during this time, you have to bite your lip and say to yourself 'No I'm not playing' Laughing think of the money and time it's cost you!

Almost 2 in morning now after writing this so reckon I deserve a Rep point lol

But seriously it's nothing to worry about guys as long as you built it correctly 'which I'm sure you have' 
stick to what's written above you will soon be flying along with a big grin on your faces.

If any of you aren't sure about your fuelling then We can check it on Dyno for your own peace of mind but it's not really necessary during run in unless black smoke is present and car smells like it's over fuelling.

Good Luck all thumbsup

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

47new engine run in procedure - Page 2 Empty Re: new engine run in procedure 19th February 2016, 7:55 am

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

I gave you a rep goodpost

48new engine run in procedure - Page 2 Empty Re: new engine run in procedure 19th February 2016, 8:59 am

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

I give you a rep too thumbsup
I should have reps removed for not knowing where my ECU is. duh
However, some days i can tell my left from right in only 2 guesses!! crazy cow

49new engine run in procedure - Page 2 Empty Re: new engine run in procedure 19th February 2016, 9:09 am

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

GTI-R US wrote:Yes there's being careful but not to the point of having a pooh fit over start up Laughing

That pooh line made me laugh, it's been officially added to my list of top 10 retorts Laughing

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum