Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cars become thirsty

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Cars become thirsty  Empty Cars become thirsty 21st September 2019, 5:06 pm

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

So since Xmas the cars become very thirsty, I've put a mix of coolant and water in thinking water evaporates faster than proper coolant, but still I'm filling up the car every week with a good pint of coolant.

Just a few things to consider:

No obvious leaks hot or cold
Changed thermostat before Christmas and car did get hot but noticed hopefully in time, and checked thermostat before fitting
Oil is normal brown/black and car uses abit of oil anyways as rocker is leaking but not milky
Cars got plenty of power since fitting new 02 sensor and exhaust

So what else can I check?

Thanks in advance

2Cars become thirsty  Empty Re: Cars become thirsty 21st September 2019, 6:31 pm

astarozna

astarozna

1. spark plugs
2. heater matrix
3. coolant hose leak behind the engine.
Stick a bottle next to the overflow tank and put the hose in to the bottle to see if it overflows(pressure in the cooling system).....headgasket Laughing

3Cars become thirsty  Empty Re: Cars become thirsty 21st September 2019, 7:15 pm

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

Why spark plugs?

Can't see any leaks even when hot not even steam around engine

Passenger footwell is dry...

Was thinking maybe rad cap as what I've noticed today overflow is full but radiator needed topping up?

Thanks

4Cars become thirsty  Empty Re: Cars become thirsty 22nd September 2019, 12:06 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

spark plugs for colour difference hinting on water in 1 cylinder .
Is possible rad cap but also could be gases entering cooling system .
If coolant is unaccounted for then you got a sneaky leak or are loosing it via expansion overflowing .
plenty hoses dribble a bit of coolant on these and if small leak don't leave much evidence.

I generally do a gas analyser sniff on the rad with cap off as part of initial quick checks .

You need more clues/ eliminate a few things to help diagnosis .

5Cars become thirsty  Empty Re: Cars become thirsty 22nd September 2019, 2:01 pm

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

Ok thanks

I'll change rad cap tomorrow, I've double checked obvious hoses but can't see anything

Will update you later

Thanks

6Cars become thirsty  Empty Re: Cars become thirsty 23rd September 2019, 7:17 pm

mike74

mike74

Drive the car up on ramps when hot and have a butchers behind the engine. Theres a lot of pipes there which can slowly leak without ever dropping coolant onto ground. I had one leak from the oil cooler which dripped directly onto the exhaust. I would never have known if i didnt have a look.
Bad news is if its one of them leaking, the inlet almost always has to come off!

7Cars become thirsty  Empty Re: Cars become thirsty 24th September 2019, 5:56 am

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

Cheers mate, will check this weekend, think I'd rather keep putting coolant in than take inlet off haha

We had an old JCB digger with multiple problems water pump leaking, crack in the head etc and kept that going for 20 years working all hours of the summer and winter lol

8Cars become thirsty  Empty Re: Cars become thirsty 19th October 2019, 11:43 am

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

Changed rad cap -no difference although car runs abit cooler

Done sniff test - no contamination in coolant hot or cold

Cars using about the same amount as overflow tank every week if I drive every day

Thanks

9Cars become thirsty  Empty Re: Cars become thirsty 2nd January 2020, 7:24 pm

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

Conclusion from a mechanic friend is a crack in the head, prob near exhaust valve and water leaking out exhaust, there is no trace of leak anywhere on engine.... Nevermind I'll keep topping up with water I've turned the boost up more now so cars gotta go quick or go bang 😁

10Cars become thirsty  Empty Re: Cars become thirsty 2nd January 2020, 10:24 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Leak down test should show it up mate ?

11Cars become thirsty  Empty Re: Cars become thirsty 2nd January 2020, 10:36 pm

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

Will look into it thanks Johnny

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]