Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rattling sound at engine start.

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Rattling sound at engine start. Empty Rattling sound at engine start. 27th August 2018, 6:29 pm

Osmax90

Hi,
When I start my engine after at least an hour shutted off, it rattles for 3 to 6 seconds.
Sounds like timing chain.
This sound wasn't there before .
Chain tensioner??
Or something else?
Common problem?
Greets Ive

2Rattling sound at engine start. Empty Re: Rattling sound at engine start. 27th August 2018, 10:05 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

could be if sound from that area (chain rattle very easily identifiable), tensioners can be a problem, what oil pressure like at startup ...

3Rattling sound at engine start. Empty Re: Rattling sound at engine start. 27th August 2018, 10:55 pm

Osmax90

I have long oil cooler lines, so oil presure builds slowly up at start up.
But isn't the chain tensioner spring preloaded?

4Rattling sound at engine start. Empty Re: Rattling sound at engine start. 28th August 2018, 9:40 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

tensioner has a toothed locking system but early types like originally on the R are course toothed and known to be noisy either due to wear/malfunction of tensioner, wear of chain pins, wear of guides and low pressure on tensioner .
Having a look at tensioner good place start if conclude noise down to chain and if replacing getting the fine tooth tensioner is best as besides finer teeth so holds positions tighter it also has increased travel range .
First thing you want do is take stethoscope or screwdriver with funnel on end and conclude source/location of the noise .

Will say I not a big fan of oil coolers on R's if usage/temps don't really justify it .

5Rattling sound at engine start. Empty Re: Rattling sound at engine start. 28th August 2018, 10:03 pm

Osmax90

Ok, good advice.
Thank you.

6Rattling sound at engine start. Empty Re: Rattling sound at engine start. 29th August 2018, 8:22 am

astarozna

astarozna

Mr B wrote:Will say I not a big fan of oil coolers on R's if usage/temps don't really justify it .
If the sandwich plate is with thermostat then it's ok, but the rest is a usual spot on Mr. B!!!

7Rattling sound at engine start. Empty Re: Rattling sound at engine start. 29th August 2018, 2:53 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Yeh it not end of world with decent thermostat and for hard track use and hot climate can become a must.
Problem is the oil system not the best on the R to start with so adding a cooler system to it if really not needed not that wise and most fast road cars in cooler countries really never need it especially if using quality oil.
Lot of the plumbing and location choices pretty poor too, effort keep short runs and lower mounted is a better design over the rocker cover location ect .
It one of those things of really not needed you got more reliability without it IMO .

8Rattling sound at engine start. Empty Re: Rattling sound at engine start. 29th August 2018, 4:42 pm

Osmax90

I ordered a new tensioner with fine teeth . . .
I will let know iff it fixed the problem.
My oil cooler is installed on a high location,
Maybe it drains empty . . .

9Rattling sound at engine start. Empty Re: Rattling sound at engine start. 29th August 2018, 6:53 pm

Osmax90

Mazworks adaptor, no thermosthat. . .
https://youtu.be/Y73QoU1vDg0

10Rattling sound at engine start. Empty Re: Rattling sound at engine start. 29th August 2018, 8:42 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

That removes the oem water/oil heat exchanger and the oil filter snub .
Ideally have thermostat inline on plumbing as running with oil below optimum temp and too slow warm up would not good long term .

Did you pinpoint noise to timing chain/tensioner location ...

11Rattling sound at engine start. Empty Re: Rattling sound at engine start. 29th August 2018, 9:45 pm

Osmax90

It is coming from that area, difficult to locate, i'm gone replace tensioner, not that expensive . . .
Valve clearances are already checked.

12Rattling sound at engine start. Empty Re: Rattling sound at engine start. 29th August 2018, 9:59 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Yes it not pricey and the superseded part nice have fitted .
Chain related noises pretty easy pinpoint normally
Tensioner would be the sweet fix so get wrenching and hopefully it be big :-D

13Rattling sound at engine start. Empty Re: Rattling sound at engine start. 17th September 2018, 7:37 pm

Osmax90

Replacing the tensioner didn't solve the problem,
i'm gone do some tests with the oil pressure later . . .

14Rattling sound at engine start. Empty Re: Rattling sound at engine start. 17th September 2018, 9:52 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

get stethoscope out and really try track down root area of the noise, if pretty sure chain related you may want take rocker cover off and investigate chain and guides further .
Oil flow to tensioner and chain spray nozzle could do with checking if do strip chain out as both can become blocked, ones I seen blocked mainly been from rebuilds and poor silicone use or pre build cleaning .

15Rattling sound at engine start. Empty Re: Rattling sound at engine start. 18th September 2018, 6:00 am

astarozna

astarozna

Starter staying on perhaps???

16Rattling sound at engine start. Empty Re: Rattling sound at engine start. 22nd November 2018, 2:59 pm

Osmax90

Mr B like you also said, bad oil cooler location, the oil cooler is installed above the motor and it drains empty wen the engine is shutted of for a langer period.
I hanged the oil cooler below the engine temporairly and problem solved.
Woud an anti- return-valve be a solution? (For not draining empty)
Not alot of options on the location.  . .

17Rattling sound at engine start. Empty Re: Rattling sound at engine start. 22nd November 2018, 3:39 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

It could be but total redesign on your cooler or getting rid of it likely wiser if not really needed .
I would seriously look at low mounting solution, delayed startup pressure a serious issue and high mounted coolers not a good match to standard oil system full stop .

18Rattling sound at engine start. Empty Re: Rattling sound at engine start. 22nd November 2018, 3:51 pm

Osmax90

Ok, i will consider to install the Standard oilcooler again.
At 350Hp will be fine probably.

19Rattling sound at engine start. Empty Re: Rattling sound at engine start. 22nd November 2018, 7:26 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Be surprised where can fit a small cooler if really try, few people on here and other forum/cars probably give you a few ideas, If car runs well and cooling system A1 the standard oil temps stay fairly decent on a road car in cooler regions, isn't that hard squeeze a small cooler low level and with ducting can be at many positions and still work good . Many times top spec synthetic oil and perfect factory setup have oil temps in perfectly acceptable range no mods needed .

20Rattling sound at engine start. Empty Re: Rattling sound at engine start. 22nd November 2018, 9:17 pm

Osmax90

https://youtu.be/Y73QoU1vDg0

Offroad buggy, due to sand en small stones, Can 't chose a lot of locations.

21Rattling sound at engine start. Empty Re: Rattling sound at engine start. 23rd November 2018, 2:17 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Bet that buggy fun :-)
I think you probably best try your low restriction 1 way valve idea as pretty easy low cost to test out . If you not using a thermostat that worth looking into as when closed it only flows small amount into cooler circuit to keep it primed and that flow restriction helps engine at start up .
A bit of playing around with these ideas likely resolve it . Worth doing good oil pressure checks cold and hot be sure system good as be shame have bottom end issue from it or be running with a weak pump for too long .

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum