Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Why too much sealant might trash your gearbox

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

I'm working on this failed GTIR gearbox that looks like it's been recently refurbished as the bearings sounded and felt new and the lube oil was pristine.
So why is it failed?
The first thing i noticed was just how much sealant was used. All they need is a very thin bead of sealant but this had been put on with a trowel and had oozed out into big lumps into the gearbox.
Why too much sealant might trash your gearbox Captur10

Big clods of the stuff where caught in the bearings, oil ways etc,
Why too much sealant might trash your gearbox Captur11

I noticed that the 5th gear synchro springs had snapped and gone into mesh which is very unusual as it's usually 2/3.
5th synchro is near where the clods are so i reckon a clod had got caught, misaligned the synchro, then snapped of the springs.
Found bits of the spring on the magnet but also in the diff bearing which will need replacing.

mike74

mike74

defo looks like a brickie put that box back together last time! Shocked

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

It’s so easily over looked by people, Brand new engines destroyed by too much sealant, people get scared of it leaking and don’t realise they should be more worried about the damage too much can cause

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

I seen this issue with sealants a lot on engines mainly , why people use that awful red stuff and lay it on like brick mortar joints I no idea .
Ideally want smear the joint surface for very flush fit scenarios or have very thin bead offset towards outer edge .
As soon as I see that red shit I know it likely fun and games repair job :-)

Ryaneg6freak

Ryaneg6freak

Red silicone! who does that!!

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

This is why you must strip down a failed gearbox to the bone. This is the input shaft with the gears removed and as you can see the oil holes are totally blocked up!
Why too much sealant might trash your gearbox Img_2023

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

That would have been bad news if it wasn’t completely stripped

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum