Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Let the fun begin!

+3
dpmc21
burrows1980
johnny gtir
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Let the fun begin! Empty Let the fun begin! 4th April 2016, 7:30 am

dpmc21

dpmc21

Hi all, I was asked to share this on here by another member, it's already on the owners club site, hopefully it is of interest to one or two here as well.

So I have been wanting to strip my car down to give it a full clean and refresh down to the nuts and bolts, I'm doing the majority of stuff myself, I'm not a trained mechanic but I wanted to do this by my hands so it's going to be a labour of love and expect it to take me around 12 months to complete. A bit of background on the car for anyone interested, I imported it myself from Japan around 13 years ago, took me a while to find with the help of an agent I had over there at the time, after around 4 years of ownership and fettling, disaster stuck and the engine blew. I couldn't afford at the time to do a full rebuild so I sold it to Steven Ferguson, who I'm quite friendly with and he's always looked after it from day one, he knew the car and was happy to buy it as was. This was decision I have always regretted. Anyway fast forward about 6 years and I'm back at Steve's having some work done on another car of mine and low and behold what was sitting in the corner, my old red R looking amazing and having had a load of work done. It had never been on the road again since I sold it and he had put maybe 10 laps worth of track time on it since he did all the work to it, I had to have it back. Price negotiated and deal done, I handed over my readies a few months later and have had it since, a true love story hahaha.

In its current state it produces 406bhp at 1.5 bar but parts of it are starting to show the effects of being on the road the last few years after dry storage, and a minor oil leak to the rocker gasket has started me on my quest to make it better than new with an aim of 550bhp my target for power. So today I started stripping the car on my drive, I have rented a workshop but can't get into it for another 6 weeks, I didn't want to wait that long to start. The plan over the next several weeks is to strip it to a bare shell. All the parts that can be done, I will be shot blasting and then taking them away to be powder coated, I've pretty much completed stripping the front end today, sometime over the next week I will do the rear, then it's out with the engine and all the wiring etc. The Ohlins struts are going to Mick Gardner Racing for a full overhaul and some custom springs to suit what I plan to use the car for. A full rose jointed rear kit is on route from Stracher as I write this, should be here any day now. The AP calipers I want to get fully refubished and painted as well, going to contact AP directly tomorrow and see if they will do them.
Let the fun begin! Img_0310
Let the fun begin! Img_0319
Let the fun begin! Img_0312
Let the fun begin! Img_0314
Let the fun begin! Img_0313
Let the fun begin! Img_0311
Let the fun begin! Img_0315
Let the fun begin! Img_0318
Let the fun begin! Img_0321
Let the fun begin! Img_0320
Let the fun begin! Img_0322
Let the fun begin! Img_0316
Let the fun begin! Img_0317

Last edited by dpmc21 on 12th May 2016, 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total

2Let the fun begin! Empty Re: Let the fun begin! 4th April 2016, 7:34 am

dpmc21

dpmc21

So a brief update from when I started this that I forgot to add here. My AP calipers are off to AP Racing for a full rebuild and some new bits arrived from Luca at Stracher, the quality is brilliant as well. Since then though, I have been really busy and the weather has been minging so not much more to report I'm afraid.
Let the fun begin! Img_0326
Let the fun begin! Img_0324
Let the fun begin! Img_0323
Let the fun begin! Img_0325

3Let the fun begin! Empty Re: Let the fun begin! 4th April 2016, 8:31 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Looking great mate, its always good doing things yourself and learning as you go, its certainly more enjoyable and rewarding. I have the parallel arms from Stracher aswell, nice piece of kit.

4Let the fun begin! Empty Re: Let the fun begin! 4th April 2016, 6:36 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Thanks as said mate will deffo interest a few. Show them southern lot us Geordies do it in style. Nice to see a local member sharing this

5Let the fun begin! Empty Re: Let the fun begin! 4th April 2016, 7:46 pm

dpmc21

dpmc21

With what I have planned I think it will surprise a few Johnny. Got a bit more done this evening but phone was almost dead so no pics, was just removing trim and body parts so nothing of any real interest.

6Let the fun begin! Empty Re: Let the fun begin! 4th April 2016, 7:56 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

Good to hear your plans and your story Smile
Think I know the car? Was Andys and Dobby once owned it?
Think I shared pics that I had on facebook with you..
Will be a great car once you have finished no doubt Smile
Looking forward to the updates of progress and a detailed restoration Smile

http://www.j10-meets.co.uk

7Let the fun begin! Empty Re: Let the fun begin! 4th April 2016, 7:57 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

Forget what I said about Andy and Dobby lol you imported it so I'm mistaken lol

8Let the fun begin! Empty Re: Let the fun begin! 5th April 2016, 7:38 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Do you still see Steve ? If you do any info on who he uses for paint work and any info on the carbon prop and who fabricated the bearing etc. Pm or txt me if you do please. His car looks well

9Let the fun begin! Empty Re: Let the fun begin! 6th April 2016, 5:07 pm

dpmc21

dpmc21

Yeah different car Stu, but thanks for the comments, hope you enjoy the read as and when I update.

Yeah I still see him Johnny, will be seeing him sometime next week so I will ask him and get back to you.

10Let the fun begin! Empty Re: Let the fun begin! 24th April 2016, 8:33 pm

dpmc21

dpmc21

Well it's been a good few weeks since I've had the free time to do anything or when I have the weather has been to bad to get going again, but today I finally had the stars align Laughing I was free and it was dry outside with no sign of rain, I finally got some more work done and am pretty much ready to remove the engine. I would have liked to have done a bit more today but some very stubborn nuts / bolts on the rear end really slowed me up. I'm going to let the pics do the rest of the talking for now but hopefully I will get a chance to remove the engine one day this week.Let the fun begin! Img_0331
Let the fun begin! Img_0329
Let the fun begin! Img_0327
Let the fun begin! Img_0330
Let the fun begin! Img_0328
Let the fun begin! Img_0334
Let the fun begin! Img_0333
Let the fun begin! Img_0332

11Let the fun begin! Empty Re: Let the fun begin! 24th April 2016, 10:39 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Yes those rear end bolts can be a pain, Great to hear the weather has been good and making some progress thumbsup

12Let the fun begin! Empty Re: Let the fun begin! 5th May 2016, 8:17 pm

dpmc21

dpmc21

Well guys after fighting a loosing battle yesterday against stubborn prop nuts, I came back at it today ready for battle and I am happy to report I won! Those nuts on the prop were a nightmare and 2 of the rears were starting to round so I left them and had another go at the front, managed to wedge an extension bar with a block of wood (as suggested by a member on the owners club forum) to stop it spinning then got my 12mm spanner over them and used a larger one fitted over the other end for some extra leverage, to my relief they loosened!! Had to drop the rear diff out with the full prop attached, slide it out from under the car so I had more room to attack the rear nuts. With the added space I was able to get them off....what a ball ache! Next was to remove the rear subframe so I refitted the diff so I had somewhere to support it from, loosened it all up and out it came, after about 10 mins whacking with my rubber hammer :grin:.

Got the exhaust and handbrake cables out the way and thought I'd get started removing more bodywork, rear bumper and one wing were off in no time, but true to form, one was a b**ch, the passenger wing is now held on by the last bolt on the sill that is completely rounded and stuck, grinder is taking that out over the weekend hopefully!

I'll leave you with a few more pics, the last one is my living room which is now a gtir storage room, should have my unit sorted within the next few weeks, then I will hopefully be able to do a whole lot more when I'm not at the mercy of the weather and having to lump tools in and out of the house! Anyway, enjoy the pics.

Let the fun begin! Img_0348
Let the fun begin! Img_0345
Let the fun begin! Img_0347
Let the fun begin! Img_0346
Let the fun begin! Img_0344
Let the fun begin! Img_0343
Let the fun begin! Img_0350
Let the fun begin! Img_0349

13Let the fun begin! Empty Re: Let the fun begin! 5th May 2016, 9:51 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

You seen the Irwin stud extractors work very well mate better than I ever thought they would

14Let the fun begin! Empty Re: Let the fun begin! 6th May 2016, 1:11 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Nice update mate. Wish I could turn a room in the house into a parts room Laughing

15Let the fun begin! Empty Re: Let the fun begin! 6th May 2016, 5:35 am

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Don't stop at a room I got from loft to garage and all room In between storing parts. Garage has the dirty bits the rest are spread out. If the weather stays like this it's ideal

16Let the fun begin! Empty Re: Let the fun begin! 6th May 2016, 7:35 am

dpmc21

dpmc21

Got the Irwin stud extractors Johnny, still no luck on that last one. I think it's a combination of it being seized in there, the head rounding and at some point in it's life the car has been jacked up from that area and the sill is bent outwards slightly making it almost impossible for me to get a socket over it. I'm just going to carefully get in there with a small cutting disc and take the head off then drill the rest out.

The room is only temporary until I have my unit, if I didn't have that then I think it would only be a matter of time until another room was seconded for parts Laughing

17Let the fun begin! Empty Re: Let the fun begin! 9th May 2016, 6:36 pm

dpmc21

dpmc21

So a little update for today and a question for all those with greater wisdom than I.

Firstly I got the last bolt on the passenger front wing removed so that wing is finally off along with the bonnet. Bought myself a few extra tools that were required and an engine hoist so I can lift it out. So my question is where do you guys advise the best points to mount the chains to support the weight of the engine? I was planning on dropping the whole engine out the bottom with the gearbox still attached, looks like it will be easier than trying to lift it out. What do you all think from the pics?

Let the fun begin! Img_0351
Let the fun begin! Img_0355
Let the fun begin! Img_0354
Let the fun begin! Img_0352
Let the fun begin! Img_0353

18Let the fun begin! Empty Re: Let the fun begin! 9th May 2016, 8:16 pm

burrows1980

burrows1980

http://www.gtirworkshopmanual.com/default.aspx?v=253

2 & 3 mate, there the points I normally use..

Edit: I dont use chains just a 1 tonne strap with shackles on the 2 sling points

19Let the fun begin! Empty Re: Let the fun begin! 9th May 2016, 8:32 pm

burrows1980

burrows1980

Let the fun begin! IMG_4277_zpsa2759f12

Let the fun begin! 6A991F4D-2FA8-4F85-9C2D-992614265160_zps6zkonsee

20Let the fun begin! Empty Re: Let the fun begin! 10th May 2016, 8:00 am

dpmc21

dpmc21

That is how I had planned to do it having consented with the manual prior to trying. Unfortunately my engine seems to missing the engine slingers described in the manual so I am going to have to find an alternative method.

21Let the fun begin! Empty Re: Let the fun begin! 10th May 2016, 8:12 am

burrows1980

burrows1980

I got them from Nissan I think or somewhere else 12 years or so ago.

22Let the fun begin! Empty Re: Let the fun begin! 10th May 2016, 8:25 am

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

Great progress Smile
I would just drop the engine and box out the bottom.
Get a bread basket trolley for it to sit on and then lift the car high enough to pull it out.
You could take the plenum and inlet off in one to help get ot out from under the car..

23Let the fun begin! Empty Re: Let the fun begin! 10th May 2016, 9:09 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Ive taken my engine out the same way as burrows pic from underneath. Ive always used an old seat belt Laughing

24Let the fun begin! Empty Re: Let the fun begin! 10th May 2016, 9:13 am

burrows1980

burrows1980

I normally just lower it down onto the legs of the hoist then pull it out, although my hoist is mega old and possibly the best construction I've ever seen, can be assembled and disassembled in a matter of minutes, no bolts holding it together Wink  makes getting the R engine out relatively easy, dread the day it breaks Laughing

25Let the fun begin! Empty Re: Let the fun begin! 10th May 2016, 9:25 am

burrows1980

burrows1980

A few fence posts to help get it high enough if you haven't got anybody around to help you

Let the fun begin! D4909FDA-FC88-4BE3-9781-9CF062739420_zpsbxmksw1s

I use the hoist to lift the front of the car to get the height I need

Let the fun begin! F608EA5B-6DDF-47C9-B533-B770D560A02E_zpstldpbf6a

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next