Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Tap & Die Set

+5
Gostek
shroom
nomad
johnny gtir
pulsarmoley
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Tap & Die Set Empty Tap & Die Set 30th December 2015, 9:14 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

It wasnt cheap but certain things in life are you get what you pay for...
Great kit; has metric and imperial as well as the correct drill bits required as well as thread extractors.

Tap & Die Set IMAG0445_zpsfsa4up9q

Everybody needs a bosom for a pillow...

2Tap & Die Set Empty Re: Tap & Die Set 30th December 2015, 9:24 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

I find the cheap ones of these are crap mate you can not get them started and then the tap just spins in the handle. The more expensive ones are life savers at times

3Tap & Die Set Empty Re: Tap & Die Set 30th December 2015, 9:30 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

100% agree with you Johnny, we have cheap sets at work and they are shite. I bought a snap on metric set a few years ago that were good but when this set came up on offer i traded the snap on set against it. The snap on set would have been good enough for the R rebuild but this is even better and i use metric and imperial equally as much in work.

4Tap & Die Set Empty Re: Tap & Die Set 30th December 2015, 9:32 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Whats the make and where did you get it from pete ????

5Tap & Die Set Empty Re: Tap & Die Set 30th December 2015, 9:36 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

Its a mac tools set and i got it from our mac van that visits. I googled it but cant find mine but i think the new one is exactly the same just layed out differently.

6Tap & Die Set Empty Re: Tap & Die Set 30th December 2015, 9:36 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Mac by picture

7Tap & Die Set Empty Re: Tap & Die Set 2nd January 2016, 12:05 am

shroom

shroom

That looks like a good bit of kit. I have used a cheap one before and had ok results but done expect it to last long as you say you get what you pay for really

'Shit' think I need to sell my Sunny!

But woman cant replace a sheep
Oh I wish that for the peace!
But I really cant find my honey
The only one I would give my money
Is one with a great big fleece
And then I would be at peace...

8Tap & Die Set Empty Re: Tap & Die Set 2nd January 2016, 12:09 am

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

I've used cheap tap before... Put it this way it's very hard to drill out broken one from cylinder head  suicide

9Tap & Die Set Empty Re: Tap & Die Set 2nd January 2016, 1:51 pm

toaster55

toaster55

I've had cheap sets and they arnt worth the money. They usually come with the intermediate size which is why it's hard to start with them. Good sets will have 3taps per thread size. A starter, intermediate and finishing tap.

10Tap & Die Set Empty Re: Tap & Die Set 2nd January 2016, 9:09 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

toaster55 wrote:I've had cheap sets and they arnt worth the money. They usually come with the intermediate size which is why it's hard to start with them. Good sets will have 3taps per thread size. A starter, intermediate and finishing tap.

I would need a suitcase if my set had 3 of each Laughing
The finishing taps are also good for threads in a block etc where the thread goes all the way in

11Tap & Die Set Empty Re: Tap & Die Set 2nd January 2016, 10:13 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

I have a cheap set Ive never used, maybe Ill think twice before using it on my inlet manifold.

12Tap & Die Set Empty Re: Tap & Die Set 23rd February 2016, 7:49 pm

mc_hawkings24

I need a good tap and die set but what is actually any good on ebay? Tried looking for an irwin set as thats what the snap-on and mac ones are but there all state side by the looks of it.

13Tap & Die Set Empty Re: Tap & Die Set 24th February 2016, 7:22 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Irwin bought hanson brand but they made in china these days & quality is far from great.
For uk you could look at facom or quality engineering set from german manufacture, cheaper stuff such as draper set for professional use probably not too bad. I have an old draper set & it lasted well with no breakages like you get with modern brittle monkey metal sets.
I used a gearwrench set last year & that seemed quite decent & think they more sensibly priced .

14Tap & Die Set Empty Re: Tap & Die Set 24th February 2016, 1:59 pm

mc_hawkings24

Facom's French which isn't all that great, I've looked at all the stuff on the mactools van but that was mostly there spanners and ratchets. I did find after googling the hanson and Irwin stuff is the same.
Old draper stuff was good but new stuff is Chinese I think

15Tap & Die Set Empty Re: Tap & Die Set 24th February 2016, 3:36 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

That trouble these days, most suff is chinese (they should be banned from making engineering tools lol) :-( I had a large 1/2 drive socket set at same time I got tap & die set from draper supplier (about 26 years back), was before done expert range & all of it is still superb, sockets way better than snapon & thinner wall so fit tight spots better & chrome don't flake, taps & dies are hard & strong plus cut cleanly & handles are far better clamping than most new stuff.
Hit & miss these days big time on drill bits & tap & dies, if want real good probably need be German or US stuff, Most that HSS will be good but also very expensive. Facom do decent HSS range, some of there stuff is decent, might be worth trying luck with carbon steel mid range set then build up a quality set bit by bit or when see something decent second hand perhaps .

16Tap & Die Set Empty Re: Tap & Die Set 25th February 2016, 2:20 pm

mc_hawkings24

I'll have a look. Hunting down good tools does get annoying at times but worth it if you can under cut snap on prices.

17Tap & Die Set Empty Re: Tap & Die Set 25th February 2016, 2:31 pm

mc_hawkings24

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-UK-42pc-ReThread-Tool-Kit-Set-UNC-UNF-and-Metric-Sizes-Taps-Dies-and-Files-/261319013193?hash=item3cd7d3b349:g:L8wAAOSwu4BViBnp

I used these the other day off a work mate but had snap on on the box. I liked those because I could get them in a socket so going to buy them aswell.

18Tap & Die Set Empty Re: Tap & Die Set 25th February 2016, 3:58 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

^ yep that handy, thread files have saved my day on a couple of occasions.
if you buy any give review & link as would be great know what currently a worthy buy :-)
Tools these days are PITA, even when buy something good if go back & production source changed you get junk :-/

19Tap & Die Set Empty Re: Tap & Die Set 25th February 2016, 7:36 pm

mc_hawkings24

http://sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.asp?gotonode=ViewProduct&method=mViewProduct&productid=10488&PromotionID=109467&PromotionTitleID=564

Completly different tool but on ebay can be had for £14.35 delivered, just the box is different. Used mine a few times just the handles could do with abit of glue as they move alittle.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum