Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mitsubishi Evo box

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Mitsubishi Evo box Empty Mitsubishi Evo box 24th October 2015, 6:00 pm

mc_hawkings24

This has been talked about before on other forums but is abit vague. I was looking at stracher motorsports page and some of the stuff being produced looks of good quality. I did like the strengthening kit he sells that fits in the bell housing of the gtir box but would need to fit a twin plate clutch to go with it. Then found the sr20 template welded to an Evo box which looked interesting. I looked at SimTech Ingenuity on facebook and they do an adaptor bracket that helps bolt the evo box onto sr20, needs inquiring about as to fit and what clutch.

Drive shaft wise would be to have some made but i was thinking of press fit sleeves welding then fitting a dowel through either side of the sleeve incase of breaks.
having never seen an Evo transferbox, is the gearbox tunnel big enough or would it need cutting and made bigger?
props are fairly easy to do at any prop shop but do Evo's have a centre bearing race to support?
whats the rear diff size compared to gtir to fit inside the subframe

I might be able to have a look at an evo 8 for ideas if i ask my mate to find out. I was asking him about evo's as some forums said you need evo rs parts but he said there just stronger
so don't see why you can't use evo 6 to 9 parts without paying a premium for rs parts.

This is purely thoughts so no flaming me down

2Mitsubishi Evo box Empty Re: Mitsubishi Evo box 24th October 2015, 11:07 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Evo gearboxes are not that great stock & cost of doing conversion is high. I would just do a PAR kit or ppg if got money .

3Mitsubishi Evo box Empty Re: Mitsubishi Evo box 25th October 2015, 1:39 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Ive seen someone who was doing the evo box to GTIR before, no idea where the link is though

4Mitsubishi Evo box Empty Re: Mitsubishi Evo box 25th October 2015, 6:14 pm

mc_hawkings24

An evo box is still better than a gtir box, my mate works on someones evo 8 or 9 and thats running just over 400hp and thrashed and launched daily for a good few years now and the only thing thats starting to go wrong is the bottom ends getting loud. Now looking at the diff compared to evo it's alot slimmer so that would be a problem but i was looking earlier and there's a Nissan bluebird u13 atezza that uses very similar diff ratio's as the evo and from posts it could be the same fit as gtir diff but can't be sure. looking at the front the box's and transfer box look similar but depending on how tall the box is compared to gtir to actually sit in roughly the same position and not foul the chassis rail. Front driveshafts are quite short so may or may not be a problem with sleeving. Evo box is cable instead or gear linkage so gearstick may be able to sit in the same position. What sort of clutch hmmm i think SimTech Ingenuity said twinplate which is alot of cash.

quaife gearset is £2,210.00 plus bearings plus someone building it then theres the likely chance the end casing will blow out.
I think you could do it for much less.
An evo 8 box and transfer box on ebay is 600quid maybe thats cheap/expensive i don't know
gearbox spacer plate don't know the price yet
clutch unsure
driveshafts (if sleeving cheap, if custom ££££) and prop i don't think would cost much
rear diff if using a bluebird diff could be easy fit not sure but then there's finding one which could be an import jobbie.
Evo diff would need chopping up of the subframe

5Mitsubishi Evo box Empty Re: Mitsubishi Evo box 25th October 2015, 6:59 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

A par gtir box is far better than a standard evo box.
I soon had evo transmission issues once had decent paddle & 500hp & dragged it hard.
If you have cheap and decent donor parts it maybe be worth it but for most the hassle of aligning it all & fabricating mounts, driveshafts/prop, rear subframe mods for diff it becomes expensive for not much gain.
Evo 7 & beyond has computer controlled active centre diff so becomes complex graft.
Most people use evo 5/6 RS box & rear diff as strong , has viscous centre diff & plated lsd rear diff

6Mitsubishi Evo box Empty Re: Mitsubishi Evo box 25th October 2015, 10:44 pm

mc_hawkings24

I wasn't sure if it was an active diff or not but just use the evo 4 to 6 gear. I just spoke to my mate and its an evo 8 with just over 400 genuine and all he's changed are clutch and flywheel and launches it all the time. Couldn't really say that about a gtir box and spending all that money on a ppg/par kit and the case explodes and throws everything on the road. 500hp on a standard box though!? Your bound to do something sooner or later. The main thing is sourcing a diff and fitting it and the most work would be in the subframe. To do the prop and shafts isn't that expensive but you'd still need a shell to practice the work on.

7Mitsubishi Evo box Empty Re: Mitsubishi Evo box 25th October 2015, 11:36 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

cases on the R are not as bad as reputation suggests, plenty people run 350 to 400+hp on standard box/case, rest of running gear can handle 600hp pretty well.
Par kits take a lot of stress off the end case. case can be improved with either the alloy brace or resin mould.
Main issue going evo route is you need find a decent order box & rear diff & from my experience a real decent one ain't cheap.
If you can do most of graft work yourself cost won't be so high but surprising how adds up & at end of day all you got is a standard used evo transmission.
Go the gtir gearkit & case strengthening & you got a new straightcut peened gearkit, removal of taper bearings, strengthened 3/4 shifter fork modded box that good for serious power.
If I had a free evo RS box & diff it would be good option but I wouldn't buy one.

8Mitsubishi Evo box Empty Re: Mitsubishi Evo box 31st October 2015, 5:52 pm

mc_hawkings24

I know how little bits here and little bits there add up when starting out on a car and then when you've spent the total you wish you had just bought a better example outright, but this is different unless you go out and buy an evo. Reputation is probably worse because they weren't a mass produced car so there will be more faults. When buying a known good gearbox for any make of car you wouldn't rebuild it you would just chuck it in otherwise you would just rebuild the one that's broken. With a gtir you would probably have to rebuild it because these isn't many. Chuck in an evo box and run 400hp and have no issues on a standard box and you wouldn't have to brace it. I can't find the prices for a straight cut gtir gearset i can only find prices for quaife syncromesh gearset and over 5grand for a 5speed dog gear set.

With the bearing change from tapered to straight. Do you have to have machining done to fit new bearings?
where can you buy the bearings? thanks

9Mitsubishi Evo box Empty Re: Mitsubishi Evo box 31st October 2015, 6:44 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

First of of all you got find decent rs box, diff, shafts, add to that bell housing work, clutch, speed sensor, gear selection, box mounts, drive shaft/prop work, rear subframe work & many other small issues & it still an old box for your time & money.
Buying used performance car gearboxes is risky game & decent RS transmission sets hold good price when find one .
PAR do the straightcut syncro or dogbox kits starting at 2,200gbp roughly (probably closer to 3,000 with options & by time get screwed with uk vat)
Removal of taper bearings only suitable for straightcut kit
Evo conversion could be handy & great see people putting effort in but for most it won't be easy or cheap .
For 600hp plus drag use I can see evo custom box with likes of sequential shift being the ultimate, for 400hp standard box has plenty of options.

10Mitsubishi Evo box Empty Re: Mitsubishi Evo box 31st October 2015, 7:01 pm

mc_hawkings24

I've already covered most of the conversion parts you've reiterated but i did miss out cranksensor. I still don't think it would be that bad of a conversion and it's certainly not the most extravagant compared to what some people do. If people were didn't do these conversions then there would be no modifying car scene and that would be boring. But what about those bearings where can they be bought

11Mitsubishi Evo box Empty Re: Mitsubishi Evo box 31st October 2015, 8:15 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

PAR do them, you could source own from bearing supplier but only suitable for straight cut gears anyway.
It's cool to see the evo box being used on the R but it not overly cheap for what you get unless got rs parts lying around or available at bargain prices.

12Mitsubishi Evo box Empty Re: Mitsubishi Evo box 1st November 2015, 3:45 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

If you want my honest opinion (for what its worth) I totally agree with what mr b is saying.

Par have come a long way in last couple of years and their straight cut synchro gearkit coupled with a billet 3rd 4th selector is pretty bullet proof and very usable otr in every day conditions.

Casing breakages are miniscule in comparison to other parts failing such as bearings / wrasses, 3rd gear hub synchro, 3rd selector arm and hub rings cracking, diff bearings and so forth.
I have ran and worked on a lot of big powered pulsars over the past 12 years and have only ever seen 3 case breakages and 2 of those were from people on drag strip not having a clue what they were doing and trying to burn out the tyres on dry tarmac loopy

The stracker brace dare I say is way over engineered (have car at workshop at the moment with one fitted) its heavy and bulky which makes gearbox a pain to fit as its a whisker away the chassis, and tbh the damned thing is useless unless you have the front housing strengthened aswell, all overkill.

Weve had a few evo's in at our place with gearbox & diff issues (rear rs plated diff is very poor design) so certainly would not say it was a mod over a well put together Gtir gearbox.
Plus you need to buy one which is all good which in itself is a huge gamble.
Quaife are not as good as people think so would not go that route, ppg are damned expensive so as B said the Par set is by far the best option.
However I would modify the bearing outer wrasses/casing ''as I did on my box'' as they do spin in casing at times and this in itself can lead to casing being weakened and eventually cracking

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum