Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gtir Motorsport club » General Discusion » Random banter » Lathe

Lathe

+4
gtir_woody
Ajay.
Indy
GTI-R US
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Lathe Empty Lathe 4th June 2015, 8:45 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

I'm looking at getting a lathe and milling machine as we're now forming our own engineering shop in house

I know nothing about them so anyone know the best type to get as there seem to be so many like my ford, Colchester etc
Then there's all the table top types too Neutral
Don't want to spend fortunes but just want something relatively simple to use where we can carry out our own machining work

Any help appreciated

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

2Lathe Empty Re: Lathe 4th June 2015, 9:46 pm

Indy

I know nothing about lathes but boy do I know about samosas..... Hope this helps!

3Lathe Empty Re: Lathe 4th June 2015, 10:10 pm

Ajay.

Me neither samosas and chutney way forward!!

4Lathe Empty Re: Lathe 4th June 2015, 10:11 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Sorry mate no idea about brands or quality, but I have been looking at those mini lathes for doing odd jobs at home. They are around $700au, you would want a large one though.

5Lathe Empty Re: Lathe 4th June 2015, 11:14 pm

hreggtir

hreggtir
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

I would just like to confirm Indy and Ajay, they do a mean samosa drool

I might be able to help Bob, I know of a bloke who runs an engineering firm, his premises are behind my house, if it wasn't for the railway line I could jump over there. I'll try and pop in and see him when I get a chance

6Lathe Empty Re: Lathe 5th June 2015, 9:23 am

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

cheers danny british

yes indy and ajay are certainly samosa experts, ive ate so many of the boogers im starting to look like one so big help cheers guys Very Happy

Services provided

Race & Suspension setup
Full workshop facilities

7Lathe Empty Re: Lathe 5th June 2015, 9:54 am

DC313

DC313

You can't go wrong with a Colchester student or triumph! Used a few of these and seem to go on for ever! A nice calibrated digital read out never goes a miss either!

8Lathe Empty Re: Lathe 5th June 2015, 1:01 pm

houghy_1

My job is CNC lathe programmer,setter and operator.
What size of stuff you looking at, length and diameter,1 offs or knocking off 100 off's?
Also depends on price range lol.
My mate is in machine maintenance and servicing so he knows good and bad machines.

9Lathe Empty Re: Lathe 6th June 2015, 1:26 am

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

Just diy kind of stuff please guys.
no use me getting complicated expensive gear that I don't have a clue how to use although one of the guys who works for me has a good engineering background i would like to be able to get my head round it too, so don't want a case of all the gear but no idea if you know what I mean Laughing

Would like to be able to carry out head skims, brake disc skimming, decking of block, making and turning certain smallish items as we have a few ver good ideas after carrying out some R&D so looking to mock a few things up before getting them put into production.

So just something simple really that's relatively foolproof that's not gonna break the bank, if such a thing exists with engineering equipment that is, any advice / help much appreciated

Services provided

Race & Suspension setup
Full workshop facilities

10Lathe Empty Re: Lathe 6th June 2015, 5:27 am

houghy_1

Well with the amount of firms going bump over the last few years there should be plenty of stock out there.
You can't go wrong with a Colchester lathe as a good starting point. As said get one that's been fitted with a Digital Readout. 
There used to be a leaflet fo round my last works of all liquidation stock but I can't remember what it was called.
I'm interested in seeing this r&d :-D
If you need any turning advice,tooling,speeds to run at or anything give me a shout

11Lathe Empty Re: Lathe 6th June 2015, 3:05 pm

Papajohns

Avoid anything bench top related I'd say!

We've got a lathe at work think it cost about £5k and it's pretty basic, so they splashed out £700 on a table top diy milling thing .pmsl it struggles to cut key-ways

As above look for a local auction of some where gone bust! We picked up 2 spray booths with extraction and flam bin for £200 a few years back

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum