Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gtir Motorsport club » General Discusion » Random banter » Another R

Another R

+3
Mr B
ROB_IOW
gtir_woody
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Another R  Empty Another R 9th October 2014, 4:10 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Considering going to have a look at another R this weekend. Looks pretty stock, no rust, interior needs a little TLC, pretty good price though.

My shell is really average, rust in the arches, average paint and the underneath is bashed up. So I’m thinking this could be a good option to transfer all my gear into and might work out cheaper than repairing and painting my current shell. I could also get some return on my dollar by selling the spare parts off it.

If I decide to check it out, going to really inspect everything so I don’t get hit with any surprises, if the paint is average I won’t be bothering, arghhhh decisions Smile

2Another R  Empty Re: Another R 9th October 2014, 6:22 am

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Import one from Japan. .

3Another R  Empty Re: Another R 9th October 2014, 8:32 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

I really should look into that but I think I'll find its a lot more expensive than buying locally

4Another R  Empty Re: Another R 9th October 2014, 8:40 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Indeed more expensive but about only way you will find exceptional examples & original paint.
If price is right on one you going view & shell super straight & rot free I could forgive the paint if a bit tired.
I don't mind painting cars as long as on original paint to start with, just hate dealing with previous poor painting/over-spray/broken trim & the likes .

5Another R  Empty Re: Another R 9th October 2014, 9:12 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Yeah that's pretty well said actually. There are some clean examples over there though. I saw one that the underneath was so mint you could eat dinner off Laughing biggest problem with mine is some rust and the underbody. I could spent the money and repair it, but it seems more worth while finding a good condition complete. At least one that's straight and just needs some fresh paint.

6Another R  Empty Re: Another R 13th October 2014, 8:54 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Well I missed out on the car. I think I'm going to spend the time fixing up the things on my shell. Going to pick up a welder in the next few weeks and some other bits and pieces for the garage.

I'm going to replace the rails myself but more than likely get someone to do the arches.

7Another R  Empty Re: Another R 13th October 2014, 9:31 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

If your doing panel work mate defo use a mig welder fella how bad is your pulsar ???

8Another R  Empty Re: Another R 13th October 2014, 9:48 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

I should take some pics when I get it back. Difficult to explain but maybe this helps.

Small rust bubbles in one arch
5cm bubble in the panel between the rear window and bootlid
Some rust where the top of the side skirts meet the body of the car
Rails are disgusting

9Another R  Empty Re: Another R 13th October 2014, 10:28 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Trouble with bits like that like sills is finding good metal to weld too as you weld it it blows holes in it if you dont cut it out far enough ....

10Another R  Empty Re: Another R 14th October 2014, 1:21 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

That sounds like bad news for me, I'll grab some pics to show the damage. I guess anything is fixable it's just how hard it is and whether is practicable.

11Another R  Empty Re: Another R 14th October 2014, 5:13 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

If that bad sounds like a better replacement would of been good option.
Thing with repair is you need cut out rust 100% plus use chemical treat the steel.
Mig welding is not that hard learn but quality shell repair is not that easy or cheap when all factors are added up.

12Another R  Empty Re: Another R 14th October 2014, 6:19 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Ill keep an eye out on the market over the next few months. I'll get some quotes to fix the rust and weigh up which is the better option. I'll give my car a 100% going over and find all the bad spots and take that into consideration

13Another R  Empty Re: Another R 14th October 2014, 7:27 am

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

On the plus side rust is lighter and holes even lighter again

14Another R  Empty Re: Another R 14th October 2014, 7:46 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Perfect, I'm planning on adding some speed holes aswell Laughing Laughing

Another R  Image

15Another R  Empty Re: Another R 14th October 2014, 10:21 am

Gunmetalgtir

Hi Woody, rust is always hard to get rid of totally, there's always small patches hiding in places that will eventually creep through. If the one that you're going to see has no rust on it, I would get it and swap everything over. It'll obviously be a lot more work than putting your car into a bodyshop but at least you know it'll be mint.

Unless the rust isn't that bad on your car, then it might be an idea to get it treated and painted but just make sure you check throughly for any bits hiding and be prepared for it to come back in a few months. Very Happy

16Another R  Empty Re: Another R 14th October 2014, 12:51 pm

Sparkie

Good luck with the rust removal, or hunt for a replacement shell I'm guessing they should last better in Australian dry climate.

17Another R  Empty Re: Another R 14th October 2014, 8:59 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

You're exactly right grant, im sure when I start going over the whole car there will be rust hiding everywhere. I'll keep an eye out for another shell but if I'm buying one it will have to be unmolested with good condition paint which is rare to find.

18Another R  Empty Re: Another R 14th October 2014, 10:34 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Dont get put off mate you should see the state of some of the cars ive welded in the past its not all bad you can always make good most things with time and patience ... Wink

19Another R  Empty Re: Another R 14th October 2014, 10:46 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

As the man above says to find a perfect one will take some doing. Better the devil you know work with what you have. Alot of good cars been scrapped over the last few year better than half the ones on the road at present. We need to save some

20Another R  Empty Re: Another R 15th October 2014, 1:11 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Very true, unfortunately there is fewer R's on the road these days. I have to admit the satisfaction of repairing mine would be really rewarding, and I'm sure I'd learn a lot more. If I start with replacing the rails, from what I've seen they are a pretty straight task? I'd like to also clean up/ powdercoat sub frame, control arms, replace some bushes etc aswell

21Another R  Empty Re: Another R 15th October 2014, 9:09 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

If a very good shell come along I would grab it.
If not indeed yours can be fixed but for long lasting job only a few restoration/body shops will be up to the job.
We all going reach point of corrosion repairs & painting it just matter of luck/time/region ...

22Another R  Empty Re: Another R 15th October 2014, 10:07 am

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Totally agree with that ... there will only be a limited few decent shells left but its inevitable they will all end up like it due to age ..

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum