Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Turbo Scavenge pump

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Turbo Scavenge pump Empty Turbo Scavenge pump 28th January 2014, 3:55 pm

jambo_gtir

Hi guys, I have been asked by Bob to write a 'how to' on fitting a turbo scavenge pump (see my other thread in help and advice section).

Basically, my turbo was smoking for a while and I tried everything without success. I had a crap oil return to the block and suspected +ve crankcase pressure adding to the issue. In the end i found out about turbo scavenge pumps, did some research then went for it. Was the best thing I have ever bought....

This is the pump:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-Scavenge-Gear-Pump-12-volt-Turbo-Oil-Evacuation-New-12v-BEST-DEAL-/150710724796?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item23170f28bc#ht_4057wt_1144
It cost me £89.87 + £37.26 postage...then a further £34 customs charge :(so a total of £162.

The fittings I used were 10AN fittings and bought those 90 degree ones. They were perfect as he bend radius was big enough that it cleared the compressor on turbo allowing me to come straight out sideways:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AN-10-AN10-AN-10-90-DEGREE-Swivel-Seal-Hose-Fitting-/170748212510?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27c162f51e#ht_1021wt_907
I bought 2 of these at £16 each.

The actual 10AN turbo fitting was from the US as couldn't seem to find one from the UK:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AN-10-AN10-AN-10-90-DEGREE-Swivel-Seal-Hose-Fitting-/170748212510?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27c162f51e#ht_1021wt_907
about £13 in total for this

As for fitting the pump....the only place suitable (I thought) was the only space I had left; between the battery and the oil separator. The pump comes with rubber mounting feet for vibrations so i bolted this to a metal plate. I then used a strip of metal to secure this to one of the fixings the oil separator uses. For support I also picked up on one of the dizzy bolts. The pump is quite big and heavy so this method may not be that adequate over time.... (Once the two chunky hoses were fitted they provided extra support in the end).

Turbo Scavenge pump Imag0410

I'm not very good with fabricating bits like this so please excuse me :(it does the job though!

I then uses some braided 10AN hose that I already had and measured them up, cut them to size and fit the 10AN fittings (1 on each pipe). I used one fitting to come out the turbo, then up to the bottom (inlet) of the pump. I just used the pump's own barb fitting here. For the oil return I came out the top of the pump with the second of my right angle 10AN fittings (to clear the bonnet) then down to the standard oil return fitting (a barbed one with jubilee clip). I couldn't use a proper fitting here as the compressor housing is right in the way so I decided to just push the hose straight on to the existing block fitting and secure with jubilee.
Turbo Scavenge pump Imag0411

The wiring was easy...I used a standard 12V car relay and mounted a switch in the cockpit. The relay obviously switching the power to the pump (red one lol). The earth I took to a convenient fitting in the engine bay with a ring tag on it. I did it on a switch so that I can shut the pump off then switch the engine on, leaving oil in turbo to help it spool down. I thought if it switched off at the same time as engine there would be no oil left in tubby. Same for starting the engine, I can let the oil get in first then switch pump on.

I know my instal doesnt look that pretty and soon I'll come up with a decent bracket and tidy the wiring, I just knocked this up to get it working for now.

Pump is noisy but you can't hear it at all when engine is running and it only draws ~3A so you don't need 0 gauge wiring for it lol.

My engine is so much smoother now and no more smoke at all!! I can hit full boost and nothing out the exhaust, or go down big hills on overrun and not worry about it smoking loads when i accelerate after.

Happy chappy!

Hope this helps....any questions please ask...not that I'm an expert but I'll try and help.

2Turbo Scavenge pump Empty Re: Turbo Scavenge pump 28th January 2014, 4:42 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

thanks, very usefull info there and a good write up too

ive made this a sticky now

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

3Turbo Scavenge pump Empty Re: Turbo Scavenge pump 4th February 2014, 11:34 pm

Bones

Bones
the two star club
the two star club

Nice write up and thanks for taking the time. Only thing I could add would be maybe abit of something to protect the live and negative cable were it runs through the bracket. Just don't want you to short a cable out mate

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum