Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

fuel...petrol methanol mix

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1fuel...petrol methanol mix Empty fuel...petrol methanol mix 8th March 2012, 4:48 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

anyone on here got any info on this?
kate and tim are using it with there evo, just wondered if theres any Rs that are running it too.
and wheres the best place to purchase the stuff as im thinking of trying it
kabooooom! Laughing

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

2fuel...petrol methanol mix Empty Re: fuel...petrol methanol mix 8th March 2012, 5:33 pm

Kate&tim

Kate&tim

Yep we have been using some meth lol

We use a 20% mix with v power in tank , we have been seeing a increase in spool and power so far .
It's all been road mapped and logged so far so no graphs , should have some in around 2 weeks.

The logs show the boost 2.2 bar being reached at lower revs and a increase in flow low down , it made around 10% more power with our old turbo .

The car is 2.0 forged mild cams and headwork , a walbro in tank with a direct power feed and a Bosch 044 in line std fuel lines and 1000cc injectors.

We only use a small amount of meth mixed fuel then run in on std v power to clear the fuel system out , so it is a bit of a pain really.
Also you must read about it as it hard to store ( absorbs moisture) and it hard to handle , Tim uses elbow length chemical resistant gloves etc .
We keep ours in a garage which is well ventilated and away from any homes etc , check all this stuff out before getting it lol

It will also corrode std lines but it varies on who you talk to really ,

Should add most people on evos use 10-15% meth mix , but as bob knows Tim is power mad Rolling Eyes

3fuel...petrol methanol mix Empty Re: fuel...petrol methanol mix 8th March 2012, 10:13 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

''but tim is power mad''

lol yep i guessed that kate Laughing

i may try a 10% mix once my engines got a few miles under its belt.
wheres best place to get it from and whats the cost please as ive never bought any before

4fuel...petrol methanol mix Empty Re: fuel...petrol methanol mix 8th March 2012, 11:12 pm

Kate&tim

Kate&tim

I think it's from jennychem , 25 litres is about £25 .

What ecu you using Bob , can you have 2 maps

Sorry didn't put it the it's post we have twin maps , one for std fuel and one for meth mix fuel as to much meth can run lean unless mapped for.

5fuel...petrol methanol mix Empty Re: fuel...petrol methanol mix 9th March 2012, 2:13 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

im using nistune at the moment which you can only use one map on so im told anyways.

tbh though kate i could easily get mapped with meth mix once the engines properly run in. its cheaper than petrol to buy lol think il just run it on full methanol lol (only kidding)

thanks for the info il do a bit more digging regarding the stuff

6fuel...petrol methanol mix Empty Re: fuel...petrol methanol mix 9th March 2012, 2:59 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

Im sure i saw a scooby running pure methanol at one of the jap shows once? He had done away with the fmic aswell.

http://www.j10-meets.co.uk

7fuel...petrol methanol mix Empty Re: fuel...petrol methanol mix 9th March 2012, 3:08 pm

Kate&tim

Kate&tim

gtirus wrote:im using nistune at the moment which you can only use one map on so im told anyways.

tbh though kate i could easily get mapped with meth mix once the engines properly run in. its cheaper than petrol to buy lol think il just run it on full methanol lol (only kidding)

thanks for the info il do a bit more digging regarding the stuff

It is cheaper but you need twice as much lol .

Tim looked at pure meth but we would need new lines , 1 possibly 2 more 044 , 2000cc injectors then you still have issues with starting and oil contamination etc

8fuel...petrol methanol mix Empty Re: fuel...petrol methanol mix 9th March 2012, 3:11 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

pulsar_stu wrote:Im sure i saw a scooby running pure methanol at one of the jap shows once? He had done away with the fmic aswell.

Think i was a little confused lol

its andy forrests car i was thinking of, but reading his blog page http://www.andyforrestperformance.co.uk/index2.html i cant see anything about methanol.
but it dosnt have a fmic or intercooler at all.

http://www.j10-meets.co.uk

9fuel...petrol methanol mix Empty Re: fuel...petrol methanol mix 9th March 2012, 3:16 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

can you not just mix it with fuel in tank and run it through the stock injectors to mix?
or do you need a seperate injector wired in to the plenum?
forgive my ignorance but i know nothing about it at all

10fuel...petrol methanol mix Empty Re: fuel...petrol methanol mix 9th March 2012, 3:27 pm

Kate&tim

Kate&tim

The meth is added into the petrol in the tank.

11fuel...petrol methanol mix Empty Re: fuel...petrol methanol mix 9th March 2012, 3:51 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

yep but are you running seperate injection into inlet for it kate or is it running through stock injectors?

12fuel...petrol methanol mix Empty Re: fuel...petrol methanol mix 9th March 2012, 3:58 pm

they used to run petrol, toulene,meth and eth in the rally cars, it was 15% tou,10% meth and 5% eth , to run that mix you need a lubricant for the injectors (remember leaded petrol), thats how they used to run silly boost and get 300bhp but 450lbft .

13fuel...petrol methanol mix Empty Re: fuel...petrol methanol mix 9th March 2012, 4:09 pm

Kate&tim

Kate&tim

gtirus wrote:yep but are you running seperate injection into inlet for it kate or is it running through stock injectors?

No sorry it all runs through the normal fuel system and injectors .

14fuel...petrol methanol mix Empty Re: fuel...petrol methanol mix 12th March 2012, 8:47 pm

Bracpan

I was hoping to run the 100 octane Sunoco fuel this year as its legal in hill climbs but the funds arnt available at the moment especially since I have a big problem with a Merc Sprinter I have bought that might have a porous head....just hope this year gets better as its started crap....I also had my electric garage door fail on me friday so more dam money needed...such is life.

15fuel...petrol methanol mix Empty Re: fuel...petrol methanol mix 12th March 2012, 8:53 pm

look for a american product called ceramicseal phil for the pourus sprinter head, it was recomended by rangerover for the pourous 4.6 v8 engines from the factory.......

16fuel...petrol methanol mix Empty Re: fuel...petrol methanol mix 12th March 2012, 9:56 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

is that the same as 'sealup' thats good stuff too which is american based.
i used it on a peugeot taxi with leaky core plug around 2 years ago thats still not leaking today.

hope your year picks up phil, mine started crap too if its any consolation, lifes a bitch sometimes

17fuel...petrol methanol mix Empty Re: fuel...petrol methanol mix 12th March 2012, 10:58 pm

Bracpan

Thanks lads, is Irontite a simular tretment?
have used K-Seal and it did nothing at all.

18fuel...petrol methanol mix Empty Re: fuel...petrol methanol mix 12th March 2012, 11:02 pm

yes it is, make sure to follow the instructions to a "T"

19fuel...petrol methanol mix Empty Re: fuel...petrol methanol mix 13th March 2012, 7:07 am

skiddusmarkus

skiddusmarkus

There's a lot of info about methanol on the aquamist site.Enough to put me off mixing it with water for my WI setup as its very toxic and I don't feel comfortable storing it(I have a little girl) or having it in a tank inside the ca due it being odourless and deadly :p.
I would imagine Andy F is using it to cool the charge rather than as a fuel if he's removed the i/c as when combined with water you get massive intercooling from the methanol quickly evaporating in the inlet pipes and when mixed with water you get in-cylinder cooling superior to either water/methanol alone.You have to map accordingly though and take it the fuel which you previously used for cooling, meaning a leaner mixture than is normal.
Some people also preinject it before the turbo which can actually push a turbo through waht it's compressor maps say it can do, letting you use a less laggy turbo to get the results you want.It can damage the compressor though over time.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum