Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Head Gaskets

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Head Gaskets Empty Head Gaskets 5th January 2016, 9:52 am

hagger

I know this subject has been covered before but can anyone tell me if it would be possible to use an 87mm head gasket on an 87mm bore.I dont think cosworth do 87.5mm or 88mm head gaskets and im not happy to use cometic as so many people have said they are not a great fit. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

2Head Gaskets Empty Re: Head Gaskets 5th January 2016, 11:35 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Is another minefield of opinions & manufacturers stating block bore or gasket bore size so you need check that with suppliers if not stated.
Apexi (my favourite gasket) always go by block bore size so you order a gasket based on your 87mm block bore & you will receive a gasket with bore around 88mm uncompressed .
Ideally gasket bore wants be 1mm bigger than the block bore .
Cosworth gaskets are very good & a bargain price in uk but size range is shite . Tomei gaskets are worth reviewing too .

3Head Gaskets Empty Re: Head Gaskets 5th January 2016, 2:23 pm

hagger

Cheers Mr B,as you say its a bit of a minefield.

4Head Gaskets Empty Re: Head Gaskets 5th January 2016, 3:18 pm

hagger

Just out of interest has anybody used an 87mm gasket on 87mm bore? will this lead to hot spots on the edge of the gasket?

5Head Gaskets Empty Re: Head Gaskets 5th January 2016, 8:46 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Sounds high risk to me.
Due to manufacturing difference between parts the gasket wont sit perfectly concentric with the bores so the piston could potentially contact the gasket if they were size for size, especially if you take into account a bit of shrinkage as its compressed.

6Head Gaskets Empty Re: Head Gaskets 5th January 2016, 11:42 pm

hagger

fair point cosmic.It does make me wonder why Cosworth dont make more gasket sizes as im sure they could sell them.

7Head Gaskets Empty Re: Head Gaskets 6th January 2016, 8:58 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Like cosmic says you should not use a matching bore size gasket (use the oem gasket measures to give you idea of required difference), closest you would probably go is 0.5mm, example being I use 87mm bore HG with 86.5mm bore block, Tomei also used/supplied gaskets around 0.5 to 1mm bigger bore.
Gasket protruding could catch piston & also is a heat spot det risk, too recessed gasket is also an issue for heat spot det .
I don't use cosworth much as they not easily sourced or as cheap here compared to UK, apaxi & tomei cover good size options & are about £30-£40 more than UK priced cosworth for me in asia but probably far more in UK/EU . might be worth contacting cosworth for full size options or seeing if will increase size range.

8Head Gaskets Empty Re: Head Gaskets 6th January 2016, 12:53 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

I've just bough new 86.5mm piston from Erics and they recommended a 87.5mm cometic HG

9Head Gaskets Empty Re: Head Gaskets 6th January 2016, 2:03 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

I wouldn't, if you finish block & head to good standard I would use a metal layer gasket at 87mm from any of 3 brands mentioned above.

10Head Gaskets Empty Re: Head Gaskets 6th January 2016, 2:07 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

what's wrong with Cometic? Have R suffered failures when used?
i'm getting a bit worried now

11Head Gaskets Empty Re: Head Gaskets 6th January 2016, 2:24 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Quite a few had issues with cometic, they have quite poor sealing around bores compared to others, mixed with arp head studs they are a complete nightmare.
Fitted well using original head bolts & sensible boost they should be ok. I use Apexi with 87mm bore for 86 to 86.5mm bored blocks & 88mm gasket bore for 87 to 87.5mm bored blocks.

12Head Gaskets Empty Re: Head Gaskets 6th January 2016, 2:34 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

i've skimmed the head and will reuse the std head bolts, not planning on going over 300bhp,
Neutral

13Head Gaskets Empty Re: Head Gaskets 6th January 2016, 5:43 pm

hagger

Hey there cosmic sounds like your building something similar to me.Im not building a big power car as i dont need more than 300bhp.I have also ordered lots of bits from erics ( new 87mm je pistons e.c.t) Mazworx do a Tomei HG and they can drill the dowel holes for the gtir.

14Head Gaskets Empty Re: Head Gaskets 6th January 2016, 8:06 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Sounds like we are doing a similar project. How you getting on?
Im going to go with the cometic HG, if it goes ill only have myself to blame. Im pretty much brassic now anyway Sad

15Head Gaskets Empty Re: Head Gaskets 6th January 2016, 9:48 pm

hagger

im just waiting for a few more bits to turn up next week then i can put it all back together.When its all done i will put up some pics for all to laugh at ;-)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum