Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

heat soak

+5
Thermal
Mr B
nomad
grim_d
TomeiR
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1heat soak Empty heat soak 30th June 2015, 11:45 am

TomeiR

with the hot weather car suffers from heat soak. feels really sluggish

any ways to keep temps down

2heat soak Empty Re: heat soak 30th June 2015, 12:20 pm

grim_d

grim_d

Top mount or front mount intercooler?

If top mount then you need to keep moving, even then on really hot days I used to get heatsoak. Try adding a water spray bar?

If front mount then you need a better one. Even on the hottest days my cold side piping is very cold.

3heat soak Empty Re: heat soak 30th June 2015, 12:36 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Isnt doing the fibre board sheet under the tmic meant to help with heat soak ???

4heat soak Empty Re: heat soak 30th June 2015, 12:38 pm

grim_d

grim_d

No idea, I know people were trying thing like that, and reflective tapes, fans etc but don't know how effective any of it was .

5heat soak Empty Re: heat soak 30th June 2015, 12:43 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Im sure i read somewhere it was effective or atleast helped abit .... plus its as cheap as from building suplies ....

6heat soak Empty Re: heat soak 30th June 2015, 12:49 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

If old top mount think about getting it recored with quality bar/plate core as a first step.
Best thing under top mount is proper heat reflective barrier sheets that can be cut & shaped as required. With top mount a proper decent mappable water injection setup works wonders too. Rally cars used heat blankets over the rocker cover to reduce heat transfer to top mount.

7heat soak Empty Re: heat soak 30th June 2015, 12:56 pm

grim_d

grim_d

Opie all sells all sortsnof high quality heat barrier products but some of it is crazy expensive!

8heat soak Empty Re: heat soak 30th June 2015, 1:45 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

some of it is, have seen some decent easy form & cut reflective sheets around 20 to 40GBP. Insulation type boards work to a degree but the efficiency of reflective heat barrier as drastically better & due to less bulk & material type easier to fit precisely & with better coverage.
Heat blankets on the rocker & ARC plus water injection was used a bit on lightly modded R's back in late 90's coped with 350 & 400hp range without much issue.
Water injection can drastically reduce inlet temps but poor pumps, water injectors & mappable electronic expense kept usage down, all those issues are better today but got forgotten about by many.

9heat soak Empty Re: heat soak 30th June 2015, 2:48 pm

Thermal

Thermal

Ive always wondered about fitting some sort of external spray bar to the intercooler maybe using a decent washer pump or something, with a switch on the throttle so it sprays at full throttle, not sure how much effect it would have? hopefully get round to trying it one day.

10heat soak Empty Re: heat soak 30th June 2015, 3:39 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

The problem with that is heat soak is more likely while stationary or real slow speed not unless your one of those boy racers that sit at the lights revving the tits out of it yoursofunny

11heat soak Empty Re: heat soak 30th June 2015, 4:44 pm

Supernova

Slightly off topic so I apologize but how effective is a turbo jacket and also heat wrapping front mount intercooler pipes?

12heat soak Empty Re: heat soak 30th June 2015, 7:06 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Heat wrap exhausts reflective wrap intercooler pipes. Heat wrap exhaust keeps gasses in exhaust hot so they flow faster exit faster. Reflective wrap intercooler pipes to keep it cool air cool and reflect heat away from outside influences getting in. 

Others disagree but I know off running inline temp sensors it worked for me. 
Run a charge cooler they work well

13heat soak Empty Re: heat soak 30th June 2015, 8:41 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Wonder if strapping one of the rad fans to the top of the top mount would make a difference .. L200's etc have fans on there top mounts

14heat soak Empty Re: heat soak 30th June 2015, 8:59 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Im going to get my exhaust done in high temp ceramic coating then wrap it, that will certainly keep the heat down. Will probably do the same to the hot side of the turbo as well.

15heat soak Empty Re: heat soak 1st July 2015, 5:35 am

TomeiR

mine is a front mount intercooler. i have considered water jets. wby top secrets low flow ram intakes? anyone used these?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum