Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Akebono (2pot floating) 294mm brake upgrade

+3
Pulsar_GTIR
gtir_woody
Mr B
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

The akebono 2pots work well for 130mm spaced hub mounting. can go to 294mm discs rather than the 276/280-evo/clio discs. uses same caliper but the outlander caliper bracket (MR307282) as it retains the 130mm spacing yet is positioned for 294mm disc size while the evo 4 RS on 2 pots has 160mm caliper spacing bracket so not usable. Use machined 294 outlander or evo RS discs and spacers/centering ring adaptors as required. if happen have a good set of Akebono 2pots lying around & access to machining it a cheap decent upgrade & adding carbotech pads makes them quite evil considering the potential low cost.

This is better way to go because of diameter increase of 18mm but also because clio disc is actually too big for that conversion as the standard caliper brackets position for 276 so you get 2mm high lip on your discs outer edge.
Outlander caliper brackets can be found online & sometimes very cheap on eBay, Febest do them
Akebono (2pot floating) 294mm brake upgrade 130cal
Akebono (2pot floating) 294mm brake upgrade Image
Description: SUPPORT FRONT BRAKE CALIPER
Compatible Cars:
MITSUBISHI OUTLANDER CU# 2002-2006. MITSUBISHI OUTLANDER CW# 2006-2012. MITSUBISHI LEGNUM EA/EC 1996-2002. MITSUBISHI AIRTREK CU# 2001-2005

Mitsubishi Number: MR307282
Febest Number: 0477C-CWF

Discs are 294mm from Legnum, Galant etc
Akebono (2pot floating) 294mm brake upgrade Disc294
Discs can be had for less than £50 a pair which probably good choice for first development effort, discs will need drilling to 4x100 & while in machine shop make centering ring adaptor (69 to 61mm) & spacers as required.
Caliper itself can be any Akebono 2pot from evo1/2/3/4rs, Galant, Outlander etc & cheap if hunt around ... Caliper rebuild seal kits are cheap on ebay (pair £25)  
very cheap fast road & light track upgrade & low cost if you hands on & build up parts when come up at bargain prices..
Akebono (2pot floating) 294mm brake upgrade Akebono_with_294mm_mount

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Nice write up mate, looks like a cheap upgrade. I need to do something about brakes shortly

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

It can be cheap, I've had new brackets for £60 the pair Akebono's with bolts £40 a pair as looked scruffy, new jab made caliper overhaul set £26, discs £40. With machining & materials it was under £250, if use better discs it will be £300+
Discs are easy redrill, Once I had made the centre resize spacer I used a spare hub to mount new disc then original on top in reverse & clamped & used transfer punches mark holes for studs & retaining screws, One stud hole runs into an existing one but it best done that way as then other 3 are well spaced from original 114.3 pcd holes so unlikely have cracking.
They work pretty damn good, floating calipers have less issue with knock-off & runout vibration, the size is good & thus not stupidly heavy so keeps unsprung weight sensible, they also will fit under 16" rims which good.

Pulsar_GTIR

Hi Mates !
I have done this mod to my Pulsar GTIR .
Outlander 2 pot caliper with brackets from salvage 50 eur for pair and rebuild kit 10 eur + discs 40 eur  pair.
Also need done some simple spacer in 7mm thickness,  thats mounts between hub and brake disc.
Stock brake line fits bolt on.
Need to redrill a little bit one bracket mount hole on the hub to bolt the bracket on.
Compared to stock brakes the braking changed in good direction.
Akebono (2pot floating) 294mm brake upgrade 2yyc9p5

Akebono (2pot floating) 294mm brake upgrade 2s1w5za

Fits under my Stern 16'' wheels perfectly.
Akebono (2pot floating) 294mm brake upgrade 2nkp0yu

Here is the spacer pic.
Akebono (2pot floating) 294mm brake upgrade 11k9kq1

splmum

splmum

Have you ever considered using the disc (rotor) from the Qashqai (Dualis). Here are the dimensions
Diameter 296
Height 44
Thickness 26
C/Hole 68
Bolt Holes 5 X 114.3 PCD

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

There's some great information in this thread and positive feedback Smile
Thanks all.

http://www.j10-meets.co.uk

Oz_e

My apologies for dredging up an old thread!

I'm looking to do a brake upgrade using 276mm rotors and evo twin piston calipers, though I can't seem to find a set of the caliper brackets with the 130mm mount spacing to suit 276mm rotors in Australia......Well at least not at the wreckers or online!......Would anyone know of a source for these brackets in the UK?....New or used!

Thanks.

Oz_e

Also called the local Mitsubishi dealer today and the caliper brackets are 'no longer available' in Australia. Crying or Very sad

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

What are the brackets actually off you want ?

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

these them?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/0477C-CWF-SUPPORT-FRONT-BRAKE-CALIPER-MITSUBISHI-OUTLANDER-CU-2002-06-MR307282-/171503346567

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Oz_e wrote:My apologies for dredging up an old thread!

I'm looking to do a brake upgrade using 276mm rotors and evo twin piston calipers, though I can't seem to find a set of the caliper brackets with the 130mm mount spacing to suit 276mm rotors in Australia......Well at least not at the wreckers or online!......Would anyone know of a source for these brackets in the UK?....New or used!

Thanks.
for the 130mm spaced 276mm disc bracket you best hunting breakers for evo 1,2,3 , galant , fto-gpx and other mitsi's with 276mm discs, want bolts to hub too.
Mitsubishi p/n is MB618218 , not as easily found aftermarket as the 294mm spaced bracket (cardone USA possibly does them) .

Oz_e

Thanks for the replies gents!!...

It would appear that Lancer evo 1-6 sold in Australia with the 4g63 engine and fitted with 15" wheels ran the 267mm rotor and akebono twin piston calipers?...If so, these are the caliper brackets I'm looking for.... There's plenty of calipers to suit the 294mm rotors that have the bracket with 160mm mount bolt spacing (like the ones Woody posted) or others that have 130mm mount spacing but the bracket is 10mm deeper to clear 294mm rotors.

The only  listing I've managed to find for the correct bracket is with a UK company, though at a price!...Around $150-Aud each.

Akebono (2pot floating) 294mm brake upgrade Mb618210

13Akebono (2pot floating) 294mm brake upgrade Empty Re: Akebono (2pot floating) 294mm brake upgrade 15th November 2016, 10:28 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

evo 4 (even RS with 2pots) onwards hubs have 160mm spacing so they not usable (hubs from 4 onwards designed on 160mm for brembo)
Ones you want new are not easiest find new at sensible money so going breakers is best way, they used on a load of mitsubishis so not hard find, try find a galant or fto breaking . One woody linked to is for the 294 discs but it has 130mm hub bolt spacing and is what use to do 294 discs on the R with akebono 2pots .

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum