Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Which clutch have you got and how good is it?

+5
shroom
Stu
MartyMG
mightydquinn
Chris shrewsbury
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Chris shrewsbury

Hi guys I am looking for a clutch for my pulsar there's only two options that I can find I want to get a clutch that if I decide to go for more power it can cope. The options I have are

A helix paddle clutch at £567 including vat
A helix organic clutch at £496 including vat
And a exedy stage 2 sports clutch at £340 including vat

What clutchs do any of you guys use or recommend

mightydquinn

mightydquinn

Os Giken R2CD twin plate clutch, the lower spec os giken I've destroyed 2 of. It was about 2grand though with delivery and everything from Japan!!

All depends on the power your running really though pal, that will help people recommend which clutch to use!

Chris shrewsbury

350-400 bhp I understand that clutchs are based on torque figures so really in the hands of the guys who know the sort of torque the car would be making then

MartyMG

MartyMG

I believe the Helix organic is rated at 320 lbs/ft so not enough for your power figure. They are superb if you run 330bhp 300 lbs/ft though. Shame they have stopped doing the HD organic which was rated at 370 lbs ft. I wouldn't fancy a paddle myself.

Chris shrewsbury

Why? Because of the heavy pedal I always found them to be like a switch if that makes sense there either on or there off lol

MartyMG

MartyMG

Tbh I've never used a paddle but their switch like qualities you mention would be a pain in London traffic!

Chris shrewsbury

Lol no the one I had was terrible but that doesn't mean they all are like that. it's like everything they are always evolving and getting better

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

I had an ap paddle 4 puk when I first bought this pulsar back in 2010 and I found it okay. Wasnt to hard to press and wasn't an on/off experience like yous say.
I replaced it with a helix organic and found that okay. But wasn't really pushing any huge power.
When I sold the car. The new owner changed the clutch again when he put a new gearbox on.
Not sure what's in now. And haven't driven it yet.

MartyMG

MartyMG

My current ( dead) clutch is a Helix organic & it was brilliant for 5 years. I have a low milage s/h HD version to replace it so lucky me. Hope you find something suitable. I've heard of a maker called Competition Clutches which are supposed to give Helix a run for their money at a lower price. Hopefully you will get advice from the experts when they drag themselves home from the pub?!

Chris shrewsbury

i rang competion clutchs today and they couldn't be any less helpful. Exedy were great and Mardi Gras moter sport were really good aswell who are distributors for helix

shroom

shroom

I have a Helix ceramic paddle and its not really on or off youncan feather it but it is a lot harsher and heavier than the organic.

'Shit' think I need to sell my Sunny!

But woman cant replace a sheep
Oh I wish that for the peace!
But I really cant find my honey
The only one I would give my money
Is one with a great big fleece
And then I would be at peace...

scotty6860

scotty6860

I have a ogura racing clutch in mine got it of bob and I have to say it's the best clutch I have had in the car it's noisy when clutch is pressed in but around town it's fine not heavy at all and will take the power I am running all day long

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

The Helix HD was good but seems they don't do HD cover any more & prices have gone sky high they not such great choice.
Competition Clutch has a huge range & £350 to £400 buys a lot of clutch if shop about. basically it the 200sx s14 clutches but used the gtir release bearing, they do organic carbon kevlar & a segmented ceramic which is 8 pads on a full  circumference friction plate (sprung not solid). Have quite a few others & cover torque range of probably 320 to 500+ ...
i've used Competition Clutch but not in the R but will next time i'm in need of R clutch.

Chris shrewsbury

That's useful Mr b so the only difference between the GTIR clutch and 2oosx is the realese bearing?

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

can use s13 s14 clutches with 24 spline 240mm-DET size.
Some companies will package these as GTiR by adding the GTiR release bearing or you buy cover & plate if cheaper than kit with wrong bearing then supply your own R specific bearing.
The 8 pad segmented & 6 puk CC clutches are pretty good & handle good torque without being stupidly heavy. the 8pad segmented being more road usable (slipable). the carbon kevlar good for road use but ideally for stock power to 320hp range.
JGY in US have a few clutch options for the R inc some CC ones.

Had SPEC clutches mentioned to me before but not used myself but have a range for the R

Chris shrewsbury

I spoke to spec clutches they seem very confident in there product and there really good value but I am not sure on how much you have to pay on import tax? here's a link and its $139 delivery and the torque rating is in lbs ft I was looking at the stage 3
http://specclutch.com/cars/Nissan/Pulsar_GTi-R_Sunny_III/1990/Single

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

^ Stage 3 is a ceramic 6puk sprung.
No idea on your car spec or intended usage but for road driving I would go for stage 2+
If after a 6puk the Competition Clutch stage 4 is 6puk sprung & is bit cheaper & also can be found in UK I expect.
import tax is 25% for UK I think, ideally want company mark invoice value low or as engineering sample.
Once again to stress the point: don't buy a 6puk paddle if don't need one for you power or if you mainly road driving, buy wise buy once ...

Chris shrewsbury

Ok so a stage 2+ will be enough then. Bob is going to get back to me with a price for one in the UK but I may try one of these spec clutches I have read some decent reviews for them

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Yeh SPEC are good, not used in my own car but have driven couple cars using them & used one in a mazda 4x4turbo & was impressed with what you get for cost.
Main problem if you in uk is import cost, worth trying few companies in US and see who will do cheaper shipping or mark invoice for say $145 so you pay very little import duty.
Competion Clutch has few sellers in UK but prices more than US, £300 buys you a lot of clutch in the US.
What power you going for ? whats your car usage ?
Clutches like the SPEC 2+ or the Competion Clutch segmented ceramic (8 pads on full friction plate) both sprung discs & not ridiculously grabby, are far more gearbox friendly & all round driving type friendly.
wrong type clutch can ruin driving pleasure & cause unwanted gearbox or clutch system faults so always buy realistically to match use & power.

Chris shrewsbury

I would be happy with 350 Bhp really so what sort of torque that makes I am unsure but yea I don't want overkill and ruin the way the car drives

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

I would probably go with the CC stage3 segmented 8pad sprung as almost as tough as the 6puk but it slightly better road manners ...
Which clutch have you got and how good is it? 1344946700-competition-clutch-stage-3-2600
or the SPEC stage2+ (500mile clutch break-in recommended)
Which clutch have you got and how good is it? Product-stage-2p
If purely road use the the CC stage2 organic carbon kevlar maybe enough >
http://www.japshop.co.uk/acatalog/Sunny_GTiR_Clutches.html
Which clutch have you got and how good is it? 6044-2100-t

the SPEC  stage2+ is quite tough as the kevlar is segmented so handles heat better, other side is basically similar to the CC stage3 (semi-metallic pads)
the SPEC  stage 2 however is a bit poor & more easily ruined from being over heated so best avoided..

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Sorry to be a arse but it's late am running on empty it's probably above but looking for clutch probably comp clutch. helix organic at just over 300 but it did not last long. Will be running 360-380 ish will live with slightly harsh pedal if it means the clutch can take the torque as it will see track and quarter mile and I don't mess about it will get some abuse. Please add suggestions and part numbers so I can order it ASAP I take it it's direct fit want full kit

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Comp clutch stage 3 is superb for road & track & handles 400hp and some abuse, light pedal & best choice for say a 70% road 30% track/strip car.
Comp clutch stage 4 better for more serious abuse on track or strip but heavy pedal & less bite control for road use.
Eurospec in UK can supply them . if don't come with release bearing it no bother as easy get oem ntn or blueprint bearing .
link below has some more info & link for eurospec .
http://www.gtir-motorsport-club.com/t6250-competition-clutch

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Spot on mate thanks was to tired to read last night and another long day at Graft today so massive help

That the one above 8 pad sprung option ?
Are they direct fit ? Is it for a 200 or pulsar

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

^ The 8 pad solid disc with sprung hub (CC stage 3) is above .
None really are direct fit as never really intended for R but only difference is release bearing.
Some uk supplier will package with a release bearing they source thus making it a "GTiR kit" with a high price tag for what is a £35 release bearing (ADN13313 . NTN-FCR62-32-14/2E) .
the CC cover & disc for s13 s14 clutches with 24 spline 240mm-DET size are direct bolt on no mod fit for the R .

I currently use the CC stage 3 after old helix HD died, CC is way better clutch & far cheaper too . handles some drag ok & city driving here too .
mc hawkings24 recently had experience with 6puk clutch kit & the CC stage 3 8 pad segmented so get his opinion & supplier info for uk market .

If you real rough on drag & track you may want the CC stage 4 6puk but that going be your personal choice as both will do job, one just better on road while other can handle little bit more torque & abuse .

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum