Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Opinions on clutch choice?

+8
shroom
BEBB GTIR
Mr B
MartyMG
Bones
PartyPete
ROB_IOW
Hardy172cup
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Opinions on clutch choice? Empty Opinions on clutch choice? 10th February 2015, 4:33 pm

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

It's looking like a new clutch it on the cards so I'm wondering what clutch to buy

At the moment my car is running standard power and I do not intend to be running big power anytime soon but I would like a clutch that can take the extra power should I decide to increase the boost a bit.
I would like a clutch that is comfortable with the odd launch and a bit of abuse every now and then so really I would like something uprated as apposed to a stock clutch but nothing for extreme power that's going to break the bank.

I would like to here some or your opinions of what clutches you are running or have run in the past and what power kind of power they have run etc.

I could even get a standard clutch and leave the boost alone but I think I'm better to get something that can accommodate more power if I get the urge but I'm not intending to be running anything over say 300bhp for some time to come.

2Opinions on clutch choice? Empty Re: Opinions on clutch choice? 10th February 2015, 4:57 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Got my  exeedy  clutch on the shelf in the garage. .  Held my  power  at the  RR  day at  309bhp..  Was struggling To hold the 330bhp  that it was mapped at. ..  

Perfect for  standard  power  if you wanna  throw me some money

3Opinions on clutch choice? Empty Re: Opinions on clutch choice? 10th February 2015, 5:05 pm

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

I'd recommend helix organic, I ran just over 400 before it went, but it ran mid 300s with no problems, isn't too stiff and won't break the bank

4Opinions on clutch choice? Empty Re: Opinions on clutch choice? 10th February 2015, 5:32 pm

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

What kind of mileage has your clutch done rob? I think I'm going to opt for s brand new one because it's a job I don't want to have to do again anytime soon so I think I'm gonna go for a new one

5Opinions on clutch choice? Empty Re: Opinions on clutch choice? 10th February 2015, 6:12 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Not sure on mileage
All I know is my R had 52k in 2001 and it now has 79k
And that's kms
Clutch was fitted in 2007/8 so probably at 65k
So probably done somthing between 8000 kms and 15,000kms

Suppose I could check the mot's

6Opinions on clutch choice? Empty Re: Opinions on clutch choice? 10th February 2015, 6:19 pm

Bones

Bones
the two star club
the two star club

Did you get your car sorted regards accident Bill?

7Opinions on clutch choice? Empty Re: Opinions on clutch choice? 10th February 2015, 6:22 pm

MartyMG

MartyMG

Helix organic! Took my 300-330 bhp & tons of abuse for five years including 4 visits & 40 runs at Santapod.

8Opinions on clutch choice? Empty Re: Opinions on clutch choice? 10th February 2015, 6:37 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

+1 for helix Organic HD ....

9Opinions on clutch choice? Empty Re: Opinions on clutch choice? 10th February 2015, 8:09 pm

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

helix Smile strong, and lighter pedal than exedy but almost twice the price

10Opinions on clutch choice? Empty Re: Opinions on clutch choice? 10th February 2015, 9:54 pm

Bones

Bones
the two star club
the two star club

What sort of price are the helix

11Opinions on clutch choice? Empty Re: Opinions on clutch choice? 10th February 2015, 10:16 pm

shroom

shroom

As an example but I believe that is not the heavy duty one and is only rated to 320lb-ft and the other is 360.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/vehicle-specific-clutches/car/nissan/sunny/1993/2-0-gti-r-n14/helix-sporting-uprated-clutch-kit-organic-240mm-torque-cap-435nm-320-lb-ft

http://www.helix-autosport.com/products/flywheel-kits/nissan/

http://www.performanceclutch.co.uk/ are a reseller

12Opinions on clutch choice? Empty Re: Opinions on clutch choice? 11th February 2015, 1:41 pm

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

Yes Darren I've had it all fixed now mate

Those helix clutches are bloody expensive for just a fast road clutch

As for exedy I've heard bad things about them, I've also heard there are I lot of fakes so maybe that's why they have a bad rep because they are fake

I can get a standar clutch kit for £44 delivered but I'm guessing at that price it will be made of cheese

As for the power ratings, that doesn't mean a great deal to me because I inow a stock clutch can handle 1 bar if you don't abise it but I want a clutch that will not shit itself at some hard abuse.

So far helix sounds the best but it's a good £100 more than I was hoping to budget for

13Opinions on clutch choice? Empty Re: Opinions on clutch choice? 11th February 2015, 2:07 pm

shroom

shroom

My stock clutch started slipping badly when I was on 1 bar. When I took it off it was still in good nick so must be luck of the draw. Also I removed a Nismo twin plate clutch setup off my Dads skyline and that was made by Exedy so they cant be that bad. As you said eBay copies are probably to blame.

14Opinions on clutch choice? Empty Re: Opinions on clutch choice? 11th February 2015, 2:23 pm

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

£100 more now or spend another weekend fixing the exedy clutch in the future and then buying a helix after all will cost double plus your time Sad

15Opinions on clutch choice? Empty Re: Opinions on clutch choice? 11th February 2015, 2:32 pm

shroom

shroom

you could always see what Bob has in with regards to clutches if you are tight on funds. The Helix is a great clutch and as Pete said was holding 365 bhp and 360 odd lbft without any issues and was like a standard clutch feel. I have a Helix ceramic paddle and its quite a handful lol

16Opinions on clutch choice? Empty Re: Opinions on clutch choice? 11th February 2015, 2:41 pm

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

I actually have an uprated clutch but it was a used one bob threw in for me when I bought the car. It is an uprated clutch because it's damn heavy, not nice in traffic but it's handled everything I've threw at it but I've only been running stock power and up to 1 bar.
Tbf the clutch might be fine because I don't know what my issue is untill the box comes off but I'm thinking it wise to change anyway seing as it was a used clutch when I got the about a year and half ago

As said with regards to exedy, are they really that bad or are there just so many fakes that your experience is based on a dogy one. I don't want to spend £400 on a clutch if I can help it.

Maybe a good used clutch is the way to go then. I'd rather have a slightly used good cutch than a brand new shit one Laughing

17Opinions on clutch choice? Empty Re: Opinions on clutch choice? 11th February 2015, 2:47 pm

grim_d

grim_d

Helix organic, cracking clutch although very heavy pedal, excessive pressure plate for 1 bar IMO, I had a helix clutch with an HKS pressure plate, felt standard although only ran standard boost.

Current car I'm told has an AP racing clutch in it, not sure which one as can't find much info on them, pedal feel is as standard and is handling 360bhp no problem.

18Opinions on clutch choice? Empty Re: Opinions on clutch choice? 11th February 2015, 3:09 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

get the box off it and examine everything before making any purchases as you don't know what the problem is as of yet!

I prefer either helix or ap clutches but exedy / daikin are also a good quality clutch if genuine and assuming the g/box is fitted correctly
exedy also make some very good single and twinplate clutches which I personally think are better than os giken in terms of less stress on the box and input shaft splines

ultimately its the pressure plate which can give slippage problems through having either weak or inadequate spring pressure to clamp the friction disc, so by uprating the cover plate and fitting a stock clutch you should be capable of running in excess of 1 bar boost unless the flywheel is ridged or drive plate has contamination of course.

we fitted a stock gtir clutch in richpulsar's car on here but had a heavier duty cover fitted
he had boost probs on one of the sprint days we do and found he was hitting 1.5 bar on stock tubby yet the clutch did not slip in that time

as for the £44 clutch bill..............forget that, its a recon, I would not let that anywhere near an n/a car let alone one with a turbo lol, recons have never had a good name even if you own a diesel Laughing
ive seen many of those fail over the years so remember you really do get what you pay for, cheapness will result in more expense and further agg

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

19Opinions on clutch choice? Empty Re: Opinions on clutch choice? 11th February 2015, 3:21 pm

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

I think your probably right bob, really I do need the box off before I make any purchases in just preparing for every scenario so I want to get an idea of what clutch I want and how much I'm looking at for one.

Do you have any good used clutches in stock? Would you even recommend bothering with a used clutch or should I just go brand new but maybe a genuine exedy?

20Opinions on clutch choice? Empty Re: Opinions on clutch choice? 11th February 2015, 3:24 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Pull the engine out and go forged. .
Spend some money spoon boy

21Opinions on clutch choice? Empty Re: Opinions on clutch choice? 11th February 2015, 4:13 pm

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

Go forged! Me... Spend money affraid

Your right though, I need to throw some money at this car! I've got a lot of little things I want to sort out etc and I think it's time I started to give the car the attention and money it deserves. Don't get me wrong, it's not being neglected but it annoys me when i know there's loads of small jobs to do and before you know it the little jobs build up and you have a lot of work on your hands lol.

As for going forged, I have a drivetrain issue rob you mad man Laughing Laughing my engine is actually spot on, doesn't smoke, doesn't burn oil, bang on oil pressure and compression, plus everybody I take in the car thinks it's an absolute animal and I'm only running stock boost so must be making half decent power for a stock engine, would love to stick it on the rollers again but I might loose my spoon if I do lol!

22Opinions on clutch choice? Empty Re: Opinions on clutch choice? 11th February 2015, 6:28 pm

Bones

Bones
the two star club
the two star club

As far as I know my car is on stock clutch but no way of telling. It's about 285 bhp at 1 bar and clutch has never slipped and pedal as you know Bill is lovely. If mine goes I'll put it back to standard boost and fit another new standard clutch, I know I don't drive like a mad man and don't do more than about 600 miles a year so this cluch should last years really but might have just jinxed it lol. Could you not go original cluch Bill if your on standard everything else? But don't know the price difference and maybe after box removal might be worth you fitting a better clutch as I'm sure you'll want more than the 135 bhp you have at the moment well done

23Opinions on clutch choice? Empty Re: Opinions on clutch choice? 11th February 2015, 6:51 pm

Hardy172cup

Hardy172cup
the one star club
the one star club

I have thought that Darren, seeing as I'm on stock everything pretty much I may aswell get a stock clutch but I want it to last if I do decide to up the boost. I think ideally I need something that can take upto say 330bhp because that gives a bit of room for some extra power should I decide to increase the boost etc

24Opinions on clutch choice? Empty Re: Opinions on clutch choice? 11th February 2015, 7:03 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

Have anybody used those ones before then??

http://www.racingperformance.co.uk/index.php/racing-performance-clutch/nissan/sr20.html

https://bbmgarage.co.uk/

25Opinions on clutch choice? Empty Re: Opinions on clutch choice? 11th February 2015, 8:44 pm

GTIR James

Helix organic with hd cover. Fairly light ish pedal considering the abuse it can take (touch wood) & should be fine at 400 hp

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum