Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lightened flywheels

+11
ROB_IOW
Digitalfaze
GTI-R US
pulsarmoley
gtirnick
johnny gtir
Bones
Mr B
Gl3nnGTIR
gtir_woody
PartyPete
15 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Lightened flywheels Empty Lightened flywheels 10th December 2014, 12:43 pm

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

Are they worth the money? Would I notice much difference if I was to put one in, toying with the idea of fitting one whilst the box is off but need to know if it's really worth it! Cheers guys

2Lightened flywheels Empty Re: Lightened flywheels 10th December 2014, 1:23 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Imo each to their own. I have one in my car and not really fussed on it. A lightened flywheel will make the revs drop quicker which some people find annoying but you get used it. I think they are also meant to reduce power loss from the crank to wheels but its probably not a huge difference.

3Lightened flywheels Empty Re: Lightened flywheels 10th December 2014, 1:23 pm

Gl3nnGTIR

Gl3nnGTIR

I had one, car seems to go through revs very quick, i personally like them and think they are worth it

4Lightened flywheels Empty Re: Lightened flywheels 10th December 2014, 1:33 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

depends on exact use of car to extent but not really a huge benefit on an average more road orientated R, If current flywheel is good enough it can be skimmed & lightened slightly if wanted.
wouldn't lighten it very much though & same if buy one, don't go too light.
Standard flywheel is about 9kg, decent machineshop should get standard to low 7kg, If buying lightened I wouldn't go lighter than low 5kg.

5Lightened flywheels Empty Re: Lightened flywheels 10th December 2014, 1:42 pm

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

Is till want decent power up top but that the idea of it climbing up the revs quicker

6Lightened flywheels Empty Re: Lightened flywheels 10th December 2014, 8:02 pm

Bones

Bones
the two star club
the two star club

You won the lottery Pete?

7Lightened flywheels Empty Re: Lightened flywheels 10th December 2014, 8:05 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Think he has the bug and power chase

8Lightened flywheels Empty Re: Lightened flywheels 10th December 2014, 9:37 pm

gtirnick

lighter flywheel is welcome in my opinion, the drive train has so much drag already
its also a ton easier to double into 1st with the lighter fw

9Lightened flywheels Empty Re: Lightened flywheels 10th December 2014, 9:51 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

Am I right in thinking there is a loss of torque though using a light flywheel?

10Lightened flywheels Empty Re: Lightened flywheels 10th December 2014, 10:28 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

pulsarmoley wrote:Am I right in thinking there is a loss of torque though using a light flywheel?
Basically the statement of loss of torque is wrong.
You lose engine inertia.
Gets quite complex and need understand hp & torque relationship for full clarity, like most things you gain & loose. With clutch engaged you have a lot of inertia through all the 4wd transmission & wheels. with clutch disengaged the engines inertia very much depends on the flywheel.
Certainly can make difference in way engine increases revs but can make car less smooth at low revs/ low revs & high gear.

11Lightened flywheels Empty Re: Lightened flywheels 10th December 2014, 11:22 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

I've had a few lightweight flywheels in the past including toda, fidanza, and a synergie segmented flywheel, yes revs certainly do rise and fall quicker out the 3 I've tried the synergie was by far the best.
But
Don't like them. call it torque (to me that's what it feels like) or inertia which in a way creates torque, the car does not have the same pulling power (similar to what a diesel car does have if you like) seem to lose that kick back in the seat affect.
So as MrB rightly says the way to go is have a souplike of kg skimmed off your stock flywheel then you sort of get the best of both revs without losing that midrange pulling power.
That's what I had in my last track car and that same flywheel will be reused in the new project too as very happy with it.

So if your hell bent on getting one pete I would definately get the synergie fly as opposed to others, but 30 squid for a skim and you'll have even better and put the extra you save towards a good clutch or something Wink

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

12Lightened flywheels Empty Re: Lightened flywheels 11th December 2014, 10:04 am

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

Cheers for the info guys, sounds like getting my fly wheel skimmed may be the best option then! How much did you have skimmed off bob?? If I can save my self a wedge of money and still have the same (if not better) effect then that's what I'll do

13Lightened flywheels Empty Re: Lightened flywheels 11th December 2014, 11:51 am

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

think from memory they took 2-3mm off the face, il measure it if I get the chance

Do not under any circumstances have anything skimmed from the centre section where bolts go as detrimental to a passengers dangly bits unless of course he wants to become a she

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

14Lightened flywheels Empty Re: Lightened flywheels 11th December 2014, 11:57 am

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

Yes I'll bare that in mind Razz

15Lightened flywheels Empty Re: Lightened flywheels 11th December 2014, 12:16 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Indeed a skim of current one & removing some mass on outer edge & then fully balancing it would be good compromise.
GTiR flywheel is quite thin so not the easiest to remove large amounts of weight easily/safely.
Your main money is best spent on clutch itself along with any other associated parts as deemed necessary (release arm, pivot ball, slave cylinder, pedal bracket) to make it a proper long term job & give you a clutch you really happy using.

16Lightened flywheels Empty Re: Lightened flywheels 14th December 2014, 12:49 pm

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

They work great in a honda, had a really light toda, too light and you can stall the car, but i did hear turbos need the weight for inertia so light flywheels in turbos aint the best, in a honda they are decent but you feel like you lose power for better acceleration and faster reving, my honda never stalled but i hear some people have had that issue where revs drop too fast at junctions and cut out

http://www.avaloncreative.co.uk

17Lightened flywheels Empty Re: Lightened flywheels 14th December 2014, 1:27 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Got a fidanza light weight flywheel in mine. .

18Lightened flywheels Empty Re: Lightened flywheels 14th December 2014, 1:40 pm

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

And what do you think to it rob?

19Lightened flywheels Empty Re: Lightened flywheels 14th December 2014, 2:28 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

To be honest can't comment .. been on for so many years now .

It does rev like a twat .. But ive also got a lightened bottom end

20Lightened flywheels Empty Re: Lightened flywheels 16th December 2017, 2:44 pm

Gaz GTiR

Gaz GTiR

Will having flywheel skimmed mess around with the clutch biting point? As the clutch will be contacting the flywheel that few mm further? Or am I totally wrong?

21Lightened flywheels Empty Re: Lightened flywheels 16th December 2017, 3:31 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

Gaz GTiR wrote:Will having flywheel skimmed mess around with the clutch biting point? As the clutch will be contacting the flywheel that few mm further? Or am I totally wrong?
I had mine skimmed and balanced in 2009 Gaz. No issues as of yet lol

http://www.j10-meets.co.uk

22Lightened flywheels Empty Re: Lightened flywheels 16th December 2017, 4:11 pm

Gaz GTiR

Gaz GTiR

Did it alter your biting point?

23Lightened flywheels Empty Re: Lightened flywheels 16th December 2017, 4:47 pm

astarozna

astarozna

If it's not stepped type then there shouldn't be any change in biting point when skimmed.

24Lightened flywheels Empty Re: Lightened flywheels 16th December 2017, 4:52 pm

Gaz GTiR

Gaz GTiR

Sweet, cheers guys

25Lightened flywheels Empty Re: Lightened flywheels 16th December 2017, 6:31 pm

ducie54

ducie54

The more you take off the front face the closer the center disc springs are to the flywheel bolts. I had springs break and pop out because of this.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum