Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bent clutch fork symptoms?

+4
Gaz GTiR
pulsarmoley
GTI-R US
mikewazowski
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Bent clutch fork symptoms? Empty Bent clutch fork symptoms? 27th March 2014, 10:30 pm

mikewazowski

mikewazowski

im about to change the clutch for on my R but could do with some clarification of what are the most common symptoms of a bent fork?

the car is fitted with a triple paddle clutch so it does make sense for the fork to bend but i want to be sure before removing the gearbox off the car.

thanks!

2Bent clutch fork symptoms? Empty Re: Bent clutch fork symptoms? 27th March 2014, 10:39 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

The extra clamping force of the clutch splits it generally across the pivot point. This point also wears after a time so becomes weak.
We do up rated forks which is basically a steel plate welded over the face which reinforces that area. It won't last forever but is well worth doing if you have a heavy clutch fitted.
We've sold loads of them over the years and so far as I know there's only been one failure and that was due to a release bearing which broke up which put a lot of stress on one of the fork fingers

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

3Bent clutch fork symptoms? Empty Re: Bent clutch fork symptoms? 27th March 2014, 10:41 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

I believe you would expect problems such as grinding whilst trying to change gears as the clutch wouldn't be fully released. Clutch pedal may possibly have less feel to it for the first few inches of travel?

4Bent clutch fork symptoms? Empty Re: Bent clutch fork symptoms? 27th March 2014, 11:34 pm

mikewazowski

mikewazowski

I've got a new fork already and im welding a plate on it aswell Smile

Pulsarmoley - yeah thats whats happening with mine pretty much, im 90 percent sure that its the fork but i just wanted to post here before i start doing all the work.

Well hopefully its the fork and ill get the R working again after 6 years of being stood around! Smile

5Bent clutch fork symptoms? Empty Re: Bent clutch fork symptoms? 28th March 2014, 1:25 am

mikewazowski

mikewazowski

ive red through the gearbox removal manual but i might sound like a complete prick but does the box come off with the tranny or do i undo the tranny from the box and then remove the box by itself? its my first time doing a job like this and im getting a headache from looking at all the bloody pictures of the box Mad

thanks guys!! Smile

6Bent clutch fork symptoms? Empty Re: Bent clutch fork symptoms? 28th March 2014, 2:17 am

Gaz GTiR

Gaz GTiR

I never thought I should of got 1 of these of you bob when I replaced my box  Rolling Eyes 

7Bent clutch fork symptoms? Empty Re: Bent clutch fork symptoms? 28th March 2014, 9:20 am

Gtirchris

You can do it either way mate, remove the two together as one lump, or you can remove the transfer diff from it's casing, then unbolt the transfer from the gearbox but leave it attached to its mounting brackets, iirc, or you can drop the engine and gearbox as a complete unit and do it that way, it's whatever is easiest for you depending on space, tools available and whether you have someone there to help you which you will deffo want as the gearbox alone is fairly heavy, with the transfer box on it's obviously heavier, but also removing and refitting is a bit more difficult as the transfer box has to go round the back past the flywheel, not really an easy job on axle stands mate!.

http://www.guglielmimotorsport.co.uk

8Bent clutch fork symptoms? Empty Re: Bent clutch fork symptoms? 28th March 2014, 10:34 am

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

we dropped both the transfer and gearbox together with engine in the car, was easier getting the box back in with transfer box connected than it was getting it out tbh

http://www.avaloncreative.co.uk

9Bent clutch fork symptoms? Empty Re: Bent clutch fork symptoms? 28th March 2014, 11:16 am

Scooby_killer

Scooby_killer

mikewazowski wrote:

im about to change the clutch for on my R but could do with some clarification of what are the most common symptoms of a bent fork?

the car is fitted with a triple paddle clutch so it does make sense for the fork to bend but i want to be sure before removing the gearbox off the car.

thanks!

Where is the clutch fork located inside the gearbox or on the out side would I be able to tell if mine has all ready been uprated without taking the gearbox out
Any body got any pics where it is located on the car

10Bent clutch fork symptoms? Empty Re: Bent clutch fork symptoms? 28th March 2014, 11:29 am

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

if you look just below distributor at front part of gearbox you will see the fork poking out of the rubber gator which is pushed back and forth by the slave cylinder.
if you pull the rubber gator off and get a torch you will be able to see the fork inside the bellhousing

11Bent clutch fork symptoms? Empty Re: Bent clutch fork symptoms? 28th March 2014, 11:53 am

mikewazowski

mikewazowski

thanks guys, tools and helping hand are not a problem but i dont want to be stuck in the middle of a job because im unsure if i want to take the whole thing out or take it out in two lumps Smile i think ill take the box and tranny together.

does the box and the tranny run on the same oil on the R ?

12Bent clutch fork symptoms? Empty Re: Bent clutch fork symptoms? 28th March 2014, 12:47 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

yep 75w/90
gearbox holds around 4.5ltr and transfer around 1.5ltr from empty
make sure you loosen filler plugs before fitting it back on both transfer and gearbox

13Bent clutch fork symptoms? Empty Re: Bent clutch fork symptoms? 29th March 2014, 4:08 am

mikewazowski

mikewazowski

what would you say about using normal motor oil? most of cars dont mind it but is it worth risking with the delicate gearbox on the R?

and also, do i fill the tranny and box separately or undo the tranny drain plug and fill from the box until oil starts to come out from the transfer box?

14Bent clutch fork symptoms? Empty Re: Bent clutch fork symptoms? 29th March 2014, 8:07 am

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

separate mate and use the fluids bob suggests

15Bent clutch fork symptoms? Empty Re: Bent clutch fork symptoms? 29th March 2014, 7:12 pm

mikewazowski

mikewazowski

so do i just approximately fill up the suggested amounts? Smile

16Bent clutch fork symptoms? Empty Re: Bent clutch fork symptoms? 29th March 2014, 10:33 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

No you use the level filler plug, one on g,box and one on transfer

17Bent clutch fork symptoms? Empty Re: Bent clutch fork symptoms? 30th March 2014, 7:45 am

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Its pritty obv once there out fill until it starts to come back out on you. I run the car after refill then check again normally it is fine. Some people use ratchet or power bar heads some use drain plug set to slacken drain and filler plugs what ever you use be carful as they can be very tight and most seem slightly rounded off. Same when retightening yes it needs to be tight so it don't leak but not as tight as you may think don't swing off it so to speak

18Bent clutch fork symptoms? Empty Re: Bent clutch fork symptoms? 30th March 2014, 11:21 am

mikewazowski

mikewazowski

ok thanks guys, its going to be easier once i see it all Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum