Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gearbox breather

+3
johnny gtir
gtir_sunny
Gl3nnGTIR
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Gearbox breather Empty Gearbox breather 22nd February 2014, 4:55 pm

Gl3nnGTIR

Gl3nnGTIR

Hi guys 
Took car out for a spin and noticed that the gearbox oil is coming out of the pipe, where does the pipe taht goes to this go to?? 
Thanks for any help in advance
Gearbox breather Image_zpsb79aa6b1

2Gearbox breather Empty Re: Gearbox breather 22nd February 2014, 5:26 pm

gtir_sunny

Nowhere, it's just a breather, there's a pipe that fits to it so your box breathes plus it stops gearbox oil getting out

3Gearbox breather Empty Re: Gearbox breather 22nd February 2014, 5:26 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

It is just that a breather stick a short piece of pipe on there and point it towards the floor

4Gearbox breather Empty Re: Gearbox breather 22nd February 2014, 5:28 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

standard one is similar shape to a hockey stick but use any sure its similar to vacuum pipe as long as it dose not kink

5Gearbox breather Empty Re: Gearbox breather 22nd February 2014, 5:31 pm

Gl3nnGTIR

Gl3nnGTIR

Oh ok so its fairly normal to leak a little bit? The amount the oil cost would rather it stayed in the box lol

6Gearbox breather Empty Re: Gearbox breather 22nd February 2014, 5:42 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

lol it does a bit surprising how the pipe stops it but even with pipe it can don't worry looks a lot but its not will level itself just as far as I know stops oil bubbling in sealed box. Allows breathing

7Gearbox breather Empty Re: Gearbox breather 22nd February 2014, 6:04 pm

Gl3nnGTIR

Gl3nnGTIR

Thanks for the help guys ill put a bit of pipe on tomorrow which should clear it up a bit Smile thanks again

8Gearbox breather Empty Re: Gearbox breather 22nd February 2014, 6:25 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

You could attach it to a catch can .....

9Gearbox breather Empty Re: Gearbox breather 22nd February 2014, 9:34 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

the curve n the stock pipe is quite important as it works similar to an expansion pipe on a central heating system so ideally you need to put a loop in the pipe and tie clip it so its standing up

if you don't do this and you take car on a track it will chuck the oil all over the place once the box oil gets hot

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

10Gearbox breather Empty Re: Gearbox breather 22nd February 2014, 10:12 pm

danr

danr

aye, orignally is upright like upside down snorkel clipped on firewall behind engine. good luck with that lol Smile

11Gearbox breather Empty Re: Gearbox breather 22nd February 2014, 10:16 pm

danr

danr

shabba!

Gearbox breather 25182619112329

http://nissan4u.com/parts/sunny/er_n14/1994_6/type_23/power_train/breather_piping_for_fr_unit/

12Gearbox breather Empty Re: Gearbox breather 22nd February 2014, 10:49 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Bloody hell all the ones i have ever seen have been on upside down ie short piece connected and long tube pointing down. And i have seen alot of boxes just goes to show all must have been fitted wrong

13Gearbox breather Empty Re: Gearbox breather 22nd February 2014, 10:57 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

I can see now how this works but i realy am shocked i am talking 15-20 boxes all fitted with no tube,a pice of vacume pipe tucked down inbetween mount or fitted wrong over 5 year not one fitted right made me belive that it went the  other way  Shocked Simple now you see it like this i honestly thought it was breather rather than expansion breather

14Gearbox breather Empty Re: Gearbox breather 22nd February 2014, 11:26 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Any idea how long the pipe is ....as i do believe mine is totaly missing ....

15Gearbox breather Empty Re: Gearbox breather 22nd February 2014, 11:38 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Make that 21 on my above post seen or heard about lol. Total top of my head which is proving useless 250 mm

16Gearbox breather Empty Re: Gearbox breather 22nd February 2014, 11:53 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

250mm what does it clip in the boot  Laughing 

17Gearbox breather Empty Re: Gearbox breather 23rd February 2014, 12:03 am

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

I will stop talking seeing as i have had a few drinks but would say inc the u shape its surly got to be 200mm

18Gearbox breather Empty Re: Gearbox breather 23rd February 2014, 9:54 am

Gl3nnGTIR

Gl3nnGTIR

Haha, bob do you have one? I have noticed some oil on underside gbox a little and its from this iv worked out which is good i can get this sorted then thats one prob gone Smile (hopefully) haha

19Gearbox breather Empty Re: Gearbox breather 23rd February 2014, 6:40 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

yep there around 200mm long with a loop in top of the pipe

im sure I have one kicking about glenn, pm me your address fella and il put one in the post for you

20Gearbox breather Empty Re: Gearbox breather 23rd February 2014, 9:03 pm

Gl3nnGTIR

Gl3nnGTIR

Will do bob your a star as always feel free to send the rear diffuser aswell  Razz Haha

21Gearbox breather Empty Re: Gearbox breather 15th March 2015, 5:19 pm

boydy

boydy

Hi guys im after some help here to do with the gear box breather. Mine has original but it was lay down and all of a sudden started leaving abit of oil on the floor after use. Ive now stood it up verticle after advice from bob'thanks pal. Its still leaking a little and only after a short run up the road and the box isnt even warm. Ive checked the level and it is a little low so i need to get some for it. Why on earth would it be coming out even if the box isnt warm? Every gear works great,no noises and is lovly and sensitive on the stick in and out of gears and pulls like a dream. Would any one know whats causing this and how could i stop it. Its never done it before and ive had the car for 2 years. Im concerned that sumat is gonna blow! Cheers

22Gearbox breather Empty Re: Gearbox breather 15th March 2015, 7:45 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

I once spoke to someone who mentioned oil galleries/channels blocking

23Gearbox breather Empty Re: Gearbox breather 15th March 2015, 10:57 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

Lee assuming the pipe is now standing up vertical with the loop at the top it should not really leak.
Inside the box there is a series of plastic channels fixed to inner upper casing which act as a type of deflector to channel oil back so it's possible that one of these may be broke or has come u clipped but to check that the gearbox end casing will need to be removed.
The other possibility is that somewhere there is massive wear in the gear set this will generate heat which in turn will cause oil level to rise, but once again difficult to say unless inspected.

I had this problem with a quaife once on the track (especially on hot days) so this is what I did to resolve the issue.
Take the looped pipe and run it to a 3 way catch can (you can make one easily enough or buy one), run another pipe from one of the other ports back to the gearbox.
I drilled and tapped another fitting to the top front of gearbox casing so the oil that got pumped into the can simply drained back to the box. You will need to use the spare outlet to run an external breather filter at the top as the box needs to breathe.
Also with mine I ran a seperate oil cooler to try keep the temps down which all worked fine for a while
Then one day the box went bang and that was it yoursofunny

Was good whilst it lasted though lol
was mainly caused by a shoddy gearbox build with incorrect overly tight shim clearances which were putting way to much loading on gearset, this was generating a lot of heat which caused the oil level to rise.

Seriously though it's worth a try though lee Wink

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities

24Gearbox breather Empty Re: Gearbox breather 16th March 2015, 12:12 am

boydy

boydy

Ok sounds good bob thanks for your help ill have to give it a try. Coming home from work last night i cruised a stretch of bypass at 60mph for about 3 mile and when i braked gently for the roundabout the steering wheel started to shake which its also never done. I went round the roundabout slowly and it was still shaking'felt like a front tyre was totally flat. The shaking got worse and i just cruised threw the town at 20mph luckerly not far from home. Ive took both front wheels off this morn and nothing seems wrong. Steering works and all bushes look good. So went out again and it dint do it. Used it again tonight and it did it again. Ive noticed if i coast out of gear it dosnt do it but then when in gear and the car pull gentle the steering wheel starts to shake! Sumats going wrong pal lol. i wonder if these two things are conected the shaking and it throwing oil out?

25Gearbox breather Empty Re: Gearbox breather 16th March 2015, 12:43 am

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

Yes could well be connected lee
I'm gonna hazard a guess and say your diff bearing in the gearbox is fooked
Check for lateral play in the driveshafts at the gearbox end, if there's lateral movement then almost certainly diff bearings
This will cause overheating issues with the box and also give you vibration and steering wobbles as play will be transmitted to the hubs
If there is play I suggest you get it sorted whilst you have a gearbox left. We had one down here recently where the bearings had gone and eventually it led to a cracked casing and major damage to the gearset so just a pile of scrap now

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities

Sponsored content