Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Standard suspension

+7
knights of nee
johnny gtir
Ajay.
GTI-R US
nomad
vmax85
BEBB GTIR
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Standard suspension Empty Standard suspension 25th November 2013, 8:31 pm

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

Just out of interest lads, ive only driven a pulsar with standard suspension for about 10 minutes, now ive fitted the originals back on the car but i do have a set of ledas on the shelf ready to fit if needed, what is the standard suspension like when driven hard, is it useless or is it acceptable?? your thoughts please, btw i do have teins on my black R and thats far too harsh but it does stick to the corners like glue Smile

2Standard suspension Empty Re: Standard suspension 25th November 2013, 8:36 pm

vmax85

vmax85

useless.

my car is as soft as a big couch. on wot you can see and even feel the cars weight going back and the front going up. massive understeer and weight trans from side to side ( have upper struts front and back fitted!!)... so i dont want to know how it'll drive without.

my next step is to get a proper suspension setup and get some whiteline goodies

3Standard suspension Empty Re: Standard suspension 25th November 2013, 8:43 pm

id check your shocks as they sound as if they are fucked vmax85
standard shocks are not that bad really in fact are probably better than most of the coilovers and very lowered suspension set ups that alot of cars have

4Standard suspension Empty Re: Standard suspension 25th November 2013, 9:03 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

I second that when i got my r .....it didnt handle to bad for about a year then after that it handled like a boat  took the shocks off and springs and the shocks were fooked .... now got kw coilovers on not drove it yet to find out how stiff they are ...

5Standard suspension Empty Re: Standard suspension 25th November 2013, 9:25 pm

vmax85

vmax85

we tested my shocks, and they seem to be ok. maybe i use the car to hard, but you can feel the "softness" of the oem parts. hope you fet it guys.

its not like its a boat and cocks arround...but it isn't state of the art.

imo to soft, no lsd, not that good.

6Standard suspension Empty Re: Standard suspension 25th November 2013, 9:33 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

I guess you got to remember alot of the shocks are 15-20 years old now so not exactly in their youth ...

7Standard suspension Empty Re: Standard suspension 25th November 2013, 9:36 pm

vmax85

vmax85

maybe this is one of a reason. i'll go the coilover route. my old koni shocks and h&r esprings are going into my friends gtir.

8Standard suspension Empty Re: Standard suspension 25th November 2013, 9:55 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

yep old stock shocks are pretty shocking lol

very boaty when pushed hard, but then again I don't really like coilovers either on a road car as they are too harsh

horses for coursesas they say!

uprated struts and lowering springs is the way to go
ohlins
gabs
konis
spax
kyb
leda coilovers are also about the best type for road and track I find
they all make a huge difference if in good order

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

9Standard suspension Empty Re: Standard suspension 25th November 2013, 10:16 pm

vmax85

vmax85

also coils with a softer springrate?

10Standard suspension Empty Re: Standard suspension 25th November 2013, 10:19 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

yes very true
with bc you can now specify your own designer spring rates which does make a lot of difference over standard which was way too hard

11Standard suspension Empty Re: Standard suspension 25th November 2013, 10:22 pm

vmax85

vmax85

yes i read that on the bc ebay auctions. i think they come with a 9kg standard.... i think d2 also offers individual spring rates.

12Standard suspension Empty Re: Standard suspension 25th November 2013, 10:34 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

no im 99% sure they are 6kg fronts and 5kg rears as standard
as were dealers for them, il check tomorrow to make sure

the bc coilies are miles better than d2s, as you can get the spares easily and far better quality

13Standard suspension Empty Re: Standard suspension 25th November 2013, 10:38 pm

vmax85

vmax85

ok thx for that info Smile

maybe the 9kg or was it 7? couldmbe on the d2's as well... cant remember

14Standard suspension Empty Re: Standard suspension 25th November 2013, 10:47 pm

Ajay.

The bc,s are 6kg front and 4kg rear as standard,I bought mine a little while ago through bob.

15Standard suspension Empty Re: Standard suspension 25th November 2013, 10:51 pm

vmax85

vmax85

how do they drive? is it like day and night?

16Standard suspension Empty Re: Standard suspension 25th November 2013, 11:04 pm

Ajay.

Haven't had time to fit them yet,I would defo go for BCs over d2s though as bob mentioned overhaul far better quality with the BCs.

17Standard suspension Empty Re: Standard suspension 26th November 2013, 7:35 am

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Totally agree with bob and aj bc's over d2 everytime

18Standard suspension Empty Re: Standard suspension 26th November 2013, 7:37 am

knights of nee

I've always read that the standard susp when in good condition is OK, I think my first pulsar had a standard set up and I seem to remember that was OK, Depends what you want to use it for mate they probably are not that great on a track car lol, I wouldn't use D2's either not unless you want a new spine mate.

Rob

19Standard suspension Empty Re: Standard suspension 26th November 2013, 9:06 am

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

i like gabs ive had 2 sets but i find them unreliable as both sets ive had the front have leaked allbeit they aint too harsh when driving normal and work good when pushing hard

what about bilstein struts?

http://www.avaloncreative.co.uk

20Standard suspension Empty Re: Standard suspension 26th November 2013, 9:14 am

knights of nee

Digitalfaze wrote:i like gabs ive had 2 sets but i find them unreliable as both sets ive had the front have leaked allbeit they aint too harsh when driving normal and work good when pushing hard

I agree and I just bought a nearly new set lol, I've not had a problem with leaking personally though. I'm sure you could send them to the likes ok gaz/spax/koni to be rebuilt if they did.

21Standard suspension Empty Re: Standard suspension 26th November 2013, 10:28 am

fred05

fred05
french connection
french connection

I had some K sport coilovers on my previous car and they were too stiff for road use.

i currently have a french made coil over (viarouge amortisseurs) and they are perfect, i don't know the rate and specs as they were fitted on the car when i bought it.
i only made them refurb at front. rear is stiff but they are perfect for race and sporty drives!!!!

shocks and lowered spring will be more comfortable but depends on the drive you want to have.

22Standard suspension Empty Re: Standard suspension 26th November 2013, 10:47 am

knights of nee

fred05 wrote:I had some K sport coilovers on my previous car and they were too stiff for road use.

i currently have a french made coil over (viarouge amortisseurs) and they are perfect, i don't know the rate and specs as they were fitted on the car when i bought it.
i only made them refurb at front. rear is stiff but they are perfect for race and sporty drives!!!!

shocks and lowered spring will be more comfortable but depends on the drive you want to have.
French made lol Shocked Laughing .

The French have never built anything any good in their entire history lol

23Standard suspension Empty Re: Standard suspension 26th November 2013, 10:56 am

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

knights of nee wrote:
fred05 wrote:I had some K sport coilovers on my previous car and they were too stiff for road use.

French made lol .

The French have never built anything any good in their entire history lol
Renault own nissan now lol

http://www.avaloncreative.co.uk

24Standard suspension Empty Re: Standard suspension 26th November 2013, 11:19 am

knights of nee

Actually I take that back I like the DS that was way ahead of it's time.

But us British love to hate the French lol

25Standard suspension Empty Re: Standard suspension 26th November 2013, 12:25 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

Digitalfaze wrote:i like gabs ive had 2 sets but i find them unreliable as both sets ive had the front have leaked allbeit they aint too harsh when driving normal and work good when pushing hard

yep forgot about them, once again a damned good strut

anyone that contacts us regarding buying suspension I always ask them what their primary use of the car will be then its up to them whether they take our advice or not.

if they live in an area where theres lots of pot holes, bumpy roads and speed bumps etc then its best to avoid lowering springs and stick with stock ride height or they could literally end up with a totalled engine if that sump bottoms out.

if they use the car for fast road driving, motorways and like to do the odd trackday or 1/4 mile then you simply can not beat a set of uprated struts with whiteline lowering springs, not a lover of spax springs as they drop car too low in my opinion.

if on the other hand like me the car isn't really hard pushed on the road but you like to push hard on track then you simply cant better a set of well setup coilovers as that's what they are made for. of course you are compromising comfort on the road and handling too on bumpy twisty back lanes but theres nowt you can do about that.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum