Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

No thermostat?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1No thermostat? Empty No thermostat? 28th March 2012, 4:18 pm

Gaz GTiR

Gaz GTiR

Just took thermostat housing off to change my thermostat & there is no thermostat in there!

Now could this be causing my problem? The problem is that when im driving about 40 + mph my temp gauge drops down to cold & warms back up to half way when im stopped or sat at traffic lights etc.

When i first bought the car i was driving it around for 2 weeks with no issues. The temp gauge stayed at half way no problem. Then after 2 weeks of owning the car the turbo shit itself! So i replaced the turbo & obviusly had to drop coolant to take rad off to have some room.

So this warm & cold gauge problem only started after id reblead the system after replacing the turbo! So i reblead the system quite a few times coz i thought i still had air in the system. No joy still had the issue so i put it down to a dodgy thermostat. But come to find it hasnt got 1 in!

And its not a temp sensor issue because when i pull over the rad pipes are cold untill it warms up again! so i dont think its an electrical fault!

So could this be my problem? (no stat)

Also if the car hasnt had a stat in from when i bought it, Why did it not show this problem before??

Gaz

2No thermostat? Empty Re: No thermostat? 28th March 2012, 6:45 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

yep that would cause a prob!
people think (contrary to belief) that by removing the stat the engine will run cooler...well it will initially but once temps start to rise maybe on a long hard spirited drive in the summer or on track the engine will overheat.
reason being that the stat not only aids cold starting getting the water upto temp quickly but it also holds up waterflow once the engine is upto temp thus allowing the water in the rad to be in their long enough to be cooled sufficiently before it flow back round the system.

that a good enough explanation Laughing

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

3No thermostat? Empty Re: No thermostat? 28th March 2012, 6:54 pm

Gaz GTiR

Gaz GTiR

Your a lifesaver Bob. Wink i was starting to think the worst lol.

Also this might be the stupidest question ever & im more than likely going to have the piss ripped out of me lol. But is there any certain way the stat fits in? ie a top or bottom? Cant see any markings on stat so i imagaine it dousnt matter which way it go's?? lol & the spring end of the stat go's in inside the block? Embarassed

Never used a stat in my renault 5's as they run to hot! so never changed 1... lol

4No thermostat? Empty Re: No thermostat? 28th March 2012, 9:27 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Yes mate spring engine side Very Happy

5No thermostat? Empty Re: No thermostat? 28th March 2012, 9:53 pm

Gaz GTiR

Gaz GTiR

Thought so lol & sorry for asking a stupid question lol Laughing

6No thermostat? Empty Re: No thermostat? 28th March 2012, 10:28 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

no problem mate thats what we are here for Very Happy and even if its a stupid question to some but if you dont ask then you would never know the right way or how to and tbh i dont know everything and its always a learning curve in anything Wink

7No thermostat? Empty Re: No thermostat? 29th March 2012, 12:55 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

i wish people on the tvr owners clubs were as helpfull as they are on here.

couldnt possibly hope to meet a more pompous lot of know it all pricks that wont give out any info on the engines....the whole things a closed shop with the ajp v8 lump, only so these people can charge you the equivelant to the cost of 4 pulsars to carry out any work Evil or Very Mad
once ive finished doing the cams etc im gonna go on there and really start slating them untill they ban me lol

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

8No thermostat? Empty Re: No thermostat? 29th March 2012, 1:03 pm

Gaz GTiR

Gaz GTiR

gtirus wrote:once ive finished doing the cams etc im gonna go on there and really start slating them untill they ban me lol

Laughing Once theyve banned you, you'll have to find out where a tvr meet is & turn up in the R. Give them a race then they will see what a fast car is. Laughing Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum