Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

re cored top mount intercooler

+12
Mr B
gtir_woody
Chrism
jaypjay
Animaldaz
pulsarmoley
ROB_IOW
GTI-R US
Greygtir
fred05
Stu
knights of nee
16 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1re cored top mount intercooler Empty re cored top mount intercooler 16th September 2013, 11:25 am

knights of nee

I just had a standard top mount re cored with a WRC spec core thought I'd post up a photo.

re cored top mount intercooler Newintercoolercore_zps947d2804

I've noticed it has 4 less tubes than the standard one so they must be thicker, I'm just trying to not need a front mount because I want my new car to look standard to all intense and purposes.

2re cored top mount intercooler Empty Re: re cored top mount intercooler 16th September 2013, 11:41 am

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

Very nice! What was the cost Rob?

Is it the same thickness? The arc ones are slightly thicker.

http://www.j10-meets.co.uk

3re cored top mount intercooler Empty Re: re cored top mount intercooler 16th September 2013, 11:57 am

fred05

fred05
french connection
french connection

Are you vpulsar On the oc?

4re cored top mount intercooler Empty Re: re cored top mount intercooler 16th September 2013, 12:01 pm

knights of nee

fred05 wrote:Are you vpulsar On the oc?
Yes Buddy.

Stu, This one cost me £315 delivered back to me but if he was to do more then they would be cheaper, I just had to go first and it's always costly being the first one to do anything lol.

I don't think it's any thicker and I don't think the ARC ones where and if so it couldn't of been by much because of fitting issues.

The guy who did it said next time they would be £240-£280 depending of the cost of the core at the time.

Rob

5re cored top mount intercooler Empty Re: re cored top mount intercooler 16th September 2013, 12:21 pm

fred05

fred05
french connection
french connection

Ok Rob!!
so well done!

did you already try it on your car?

6re cored top mount intercooler Empty Re: re cored top mount intercooler 16th September 2013, 12:32 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

Yeah the arc one is only slightly thicker.
And that's a lot of money to re core it!!!
I guess it's about the price of the arc so if its as good as one of them it's a good deal.?!?

7re cored top mount intercooler Empty Re: re cored top mount intercooler 16th September 2013, 12:42 pm

knights of nee

Stu wrote:Yeah the arc one is only slightly thicker.
And that's a lot of money to re core it!!!
I guess it's about the price of the arc so if its as good as one of them it's a good deal.?!?
It is supposed to flow 3 times better than the standard one, All the ARC ones are not only expensive but old now. This is the latest available modern core and brand new perfectly clean inside and out so hopefully it will do the job I intend it to do, I wasn't really bothered about the cost if I'm honest mate it might be expensive or not depending on what you're gauging it against. I suppose it is more expensive than one of the nasty cheap front mount kits on Ebay, But it was done by a very good fabricator who's welding is very sexy indeed lol.

I did find one ARC for sale in Aus but he wanted silly money for it, Something like £400 plus £100 to ship it over to the UK so I've got a bargain I feel, Plus as I said it's all brand new.

As for the other questioner, No I've not tried it and wont be doing for a long while I'm afraid. My car is only just starting to be built and will take a few months I'd of thought.

Rob

8re cored top mount intercooler Empty Re: re cored top mount intercooler 16th September 2013, 12:44 pm

fred05

fred05
french connection
french connection

sure stu! i think it's a good deal, if the performance are as good as an Arc...

The best would be to try and compare on a bench the power gain between a standard one, an ARC (as moley has on his car) and yours....maybe on a rolling road day, it would be interested to swap them and test, and have the proof of the results...

9re cored top mount intercooler Empty Re: re cored top mount intercooler 16th September 2013, 12:53 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

If its as good as you claim Rob, then it's money we'll spent! Standard looking over fmic is what I prefer too!
If you had to buy a decent fmic you would be paying upto £1k if not more so your £300 is nothing compared to that and less hassle to fit Smile

10re cored top mount intercooler Empty Re: re cored top mount intercooler 16th September 2013, 12:56 pm

fred05

fred05
french connection
french connection

FMIC = front mount IC
TMIC = top mount IC
Rolling Eyes Wink 

11re cored top mount intercooler Empty Re: re cored top mount intercooler 16th September 2013, 1:04 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

Lol that is correct Fred Smile

12re cored top mount intercooler Empty Re: re cored top mount intercooler 16th September 2013, 1:23 pm

Greygtir

Stu wrote:If its as good as you claim Rob, then it's money we'll spent! Standard looking over fmic is what I prefer too!
If you had to buy a decent fmic you would be paying upto £1k if not more so your £300 is nothing compared to that and less hassle to fit Smile
I wouldnt say 1k. I went to tractive solustions with my best mates evo. With a 200 quid ebay evo intercooler. Made 605 on a precission 6262. With no temp issues. Reason for a 200 quid jobbie is because if he stuffs it on track or somthing went throught. Redily available and dosent cost the earth. Pipes where made by himself though wasnt a full kit. 

Cooler looks well made

13re cored top mount intercooler Empty Re: re cored top mount intercooler 16th September 2013, 1:31 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

If you buy a well named fmic like pace, rc development, radtech, hks, blitz, apexi etc etc you would be looking at £1k+!!!!! That's a fact!

The eBay £200 ones are as good as their price, no development in them! Just thrown together cheaply. No frills and probably leak!

14re cored top mount intercooler Empty Re: re cored top mount intercooler 16th September 2013, 1:33 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

And your mates isn't a £200 eBay jobie if he's had to pay for pipes seperate!
Robs core was probs that much and the labour was £100.
You can get good cores for the same price as a eBay ic kit!

15re cored top mount intercooler Empty Re: re cored top mount intercooler 16th September 2013, 1:42 pm

Greygtir

Lol its got nothing to do with robs core im just saying u dont  need to spend a grand for a fmic kit. We bought the pipes seprate came to bout 350 inc the flanges for the tial. 

Id happily spend that on a top mount because its not going to gett batterd but saying a decent kit is a grand. When you dnt need to soend that. Hence why i have a 175 r34 gtr cooler.

16re cored top mount intercooler Empty Re: re cored top mount intercooler 16th September 2013, 1:45 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

I was saying that the top brand ones that most Gtir owners used to go for are £1k plus.
So in that respect Robs was cheap...
We all know we can make something cheaper if we so it about selves! Most of the cost of a brand is in the name!!!
I wasn't saying people needed to spend £1k plus on a fmic!
I was making a comparison Wink

17re cored top mount intercooler Empty Re: re cored top mount intercooler 16th September 2013, 2:28 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

that's a good price and deffo worth getting done if your gonna be running upto 350hp as itll handle that fine, it also looks to be very well made.

however start pushing over that on a track and youll have melted plugs due to excess charge temps as happened to me with my arc tmic at nurburgring a couple years back on a hot day.
my car was 420odd hp at the time and I had to ditch the tmic for a descent front mount and no probs since.

got to say though that you cannot beat a tmic setup in terms of fast spooling, only thing that comes any where near is the charge cooler im running at the mo

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

18re cored top mount intercooler Empty Re: re cored top mount intercooler 16th September 2013, 2:44 pm

knights of nee

GTI-R US wrote:

got to say though that you cannot beat a tmic setup in terms of fast spooling, only thing that comes any where near is the charge cooler im running at the mo

I had a charge cooler on my last one which worked OK but couldn't handle 1.9 bar for long so needed a bit more development such as a bigger reservoir for the water and maybe a better bigger charge cooler water rad. Regarding the top mount I may push for 380-400 bhp but I wont be going on track or drag racing. I'm building or should I say having built lol, This car purely as a mint well equipped road car that I don't intend selling ever, It's costing me a lot of money to get what I want the way I want it so hopefully I'll be happy with it. I do intend to build a super charged MK2 golf as well so I'll use that for track days.

Rob

19re cored top mount intercooler Empty Re: re cored top mount intercooler 16th September 2013, 2:45 pm

fred05

fred05
french connection
french connection

mmmmh bob, i think i'll be up for one !!

why don't we put a group buy for it?

20re cored top mount intercooler Empty Re: re cored top mount intercooler 16th September 2013, 2:57 pm

knights of nee

fred05 wrote:mmmmh bob, i think i'll be up for one !!

why don't we put a group buy for it?
A good charge cooler set up is very over complicated for general use I think, Costs a lot of money to get it right. Myself up probably cost me 2k because of all the custom made pipework and a 600 bhp rated PWR charge cooler, Also it adds weight and is something else to go wrong. If the pump fails then you're knackered.

top mount or front mount for that matter are pretty much fit and forget and pretty cheap. Mine is costing me a total of £300 no on going costs or pluming issues to worry about, I had 3 different front mounts on my last pulsar which all worked great even the cheaper Ebay version I had before the charge cooler set up.

ROb

21re cored top mount intercooler Empty Re: re cored top mount intercooler 16th September 2013, 2:59 pm

fred05

fred05
french connection
french connection

Rob, sorry, i was speaking about your TMIC for the group buy!! Twisted Evil 

22re cored top mount intercooler Empty Re: re cored top mount intercooler 16th September 2013, 3:00 pm

knights of nee

Just to add I'm going down this road because I want to open my bonnet and see a standard pulsar the way it was built in the first place pretty much, I'm even keeping the standard manifold though ported and ceramic coated and a modified standard air box, I'm will to sacrifice power to get this look right hopefully I'll achieve my goals this time, I went to far last time, 500 bhp is nice but it doesn't make for a nice car to drive at all.

Rob

23re cored top mount intercooler Empty Re: re cored top mount intercooler 16th September 2013, 3:02 pm

knights of nee

fred05 wrote:Rob, sorry, i was speaking about your TMIC for the group buy!! Twisted Evil 

OK mate I'll PM you the guys details and you can give him a call, He doesn't want his name over the forum.

Rob

24re cored top mount intercooler Empty Re: re cored top mount intercooler 16th September 2013, 3:03 pm

fred05

fred05
french connection
french connection

well no problem, just my accent wich is like a spanish cow, and very bad vocabulary...bob knows Wink

25re cored top mount intercooler Empty Re: re cored top mount intercooler 16th September 2013, 3:31 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

yep that's the best way to go with the car
as you now know you don't have to have all that crap to make 400hp.
the tmic should be fine on a road going car as its a different ball game on track with temps going through the roof as you well know.
to be safe I would get an aspestoslux sheet and fit it under the tmic leaving an air gap either side, this will stop a lot of heatsoak from the engine and you wont see it as its hidden under the ic bracket
weve done a couple like that and a few others have too and seems to work a treat and all for £2 lol

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum